email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Signs (page 26)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Oceanic
Restaurant
San Mateo, CA
Steamie's Bar
San Mateo, CA
The sign at the Oceanic Restaurant appears to be from the 1950s or earlier. The restaurant probably had another name originally. [map]

Steamie's Bar opened in 1957. This sign may be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Ah Sam Florist
San Mateo, CA
The Ah Sam Florist store was established in 1933. This building and sign appear to be from the 1950s. The neon on the side of the building may be recent. For more, see this website. [map]

San Pedro Lock & Key
San Pedro, CA
2013: 2017:
San Pedro Lock & Key was established in 1933. These signs are probably from the 1950s. The larger sign was most likely at projecting sign originally. The signs were repainted in 2017. For more, see this website. [map]

Indian Room [gone]
San Pedro, CA
Country Club Bowl
San Rafael, CA
The Indian Room opened in 1936. This sign might have been from then. These photos are from 2014. In 2015, the bar closed and the sign was removed. I believe it was sold to a collector. For more, see this website.

The Country Club Bowl opened in 1959. The "40" refers to the bowling alley's 40 lanes. For more, see this website. [map]

More San Pedro Signs:
Century Motorcycles
Warner Grand Theatre

Santa Venetia Market
San Rafael, CA
Litchfield's
San Rafael, CA
The Santa Venetia Market sign is probably from the late 1950s or early 1960s. It was repainted and the neon restored around 2012. For more, see this website. [map]

The Litchfield's sign was built for the Litchfield's Bermuda Palms Motel in 1949. It features about scintillating 1,500 bulbs and burgundy colored neon. The sign is 46 feet wide. It was restored in 2010 by Neon Works of Emeryville, CA. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More San Rafael Signs:
Dandy Market

Joe's Cafe
Santa Barbara, CA
Joe's Cafe was established in 1928. The sign was designed by the restaurant's owner and built in 1954. The city council was opposed to the sign at that time. The sign was moved to its current location in 1985. [map]

Tee Off Restaurant & Lounge
Santa Barbara, CA
The Tee Off Restaurant & Lounge opened in 1956 and this sign is from then. [map]

Hotel De Riviera
Santa Barbara, CA
Jedlicka's Saddlery
Santa Barbara, CA
The Hotel De Riviera is now used as low income housing. The sign appears to be from the 1920s or 1930s. [map]

Jedlicka's Saddlery opened in 1934 as a shoe repair store. In 1943, the store expanded and began selling saddlery. This sign was built in 1951. It was originally installed on a pole in front of the store. Later on, it was moved to the roof when sign ordinances required it. [map]

Blue Skies Mobile Park
Santa Barbara, CA
2008: 2012: 2018:
The Blue Skies Mobile Park opened in the early 1960s. This sign is from then. It was repainted in 2017. [map]

Victor the Florist
Santa Barbara, CA
Victor the Florist opened in 1930. These signs are probably from the 1950s and/or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Alameda Albany -
Apple Valley
Arcadia -
Barstow
Bakersfield Bay Point -
Beverly Hills
Big Bear Lake -
Bridgeport
Buellton Buena Park -
Carpinteria
Catheys Valley -
Costa Mesa
Cotati -
El Centro
El Dorado -
Escondido
Eureka -
Garden Grove
Fresno Gilroy -
Happy Camp
Hawthorne -
Lakehead
Hayward &
San Leandro
Lakewood -
Lindsay
Lodi -
Lone Pine
Long Beach Los Angeles Madera -
Mendota
Merced -
Monterey
Morgan Hill -
Oceanside
Oakland
Ontario -
Pacifica
Pasadena -
Petaluma
Pico Rivera -
Pomona
Porterville -
Redondo Beach
Redwood City -
Richmond
Rio Vista -
Roseville
Sacramento Salida -
San Bernardino
San Bruno -
San Luis Obispo
San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Santa Clara -
Santa Monica
Santa Paula -
St. Helena
Stockton
Sun Valley -
Ukiah
Upland -
Vernon
Victorville -
Wilmington
Woodland -
Yuba City
Museum of
Neon Art

Main Signs Page