email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Stockton Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

El Rancho Motel
Stockton, CA
St. Francis Motel
Stockton, CA
Thrifty Klean Center
Stockton, CA
The El Rancho Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The St. Francis Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Thrifty Klean Center sign was built and installed in 1963. [map]

On Lock Sam Restaurant
Stockton, CA
Far East Restaurant
Stockton, CA
The On Lock Sam Restaurant opened in 1898 on Washington St. This sign is probably from the 1950s. There were originally two neon chopsticks penetrating the sign. Only part of one chopstick is left now. The sign was originally attached to the building as a projecting sign. When the restaurant moved to Sutter Street in 1964, this sign was brought along and installed on a pole at the back of the parking lot. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Far East Restaurant was originally known as the Rev-A-Lon Restaurant. The rooftop sign has been there since at least the 1940s and was adapted for the Far East Restaurant at some point. I don't know when the pole sign was built. The neon and thermometer on the signs no longer work. These photos are from 2014. Around 2015, the rooftop sign was painted white. For more, see this website. [map]

Avenue Inn
Stockton, CA
Cavour Club
Stockton, CA
Pacific Avenue Bowl
Stockton, CA
J. Marengo Center
Stockton, CA
Travo-tel Motel
Stockton, CA
The Avenue Inn sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The Cavour Club sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Pacific Avenue Bowl opened in 1958. This sign may be from then or slightly later. [map]

The J. Marengo Center shopping center opened in 1950. This sign is probably from then. [map]

The Travo-tel Motel had different sign when it was originally known as the Travo-tel Motor Hotel. This sign was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

West Lane Bowl
Stockton, CA
Golden Star Cafe
Stockton, CA
Montclair Liquor
Stockton, CA
Oakridge Center
Stockton, CA
Pentecostal Church
of Jesus Christ
Stockton, CA
The West Lane Bowl opened in 1960. This sign is probably from then. There may have been four other letters on the four poles extending from the sign. [map]

The Golden Star Cafe sign appears to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Montclair Liquor sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Oakridge Center shopping center sign is probably from the late 1950s or early 1960s. [map]

The Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ sign is probably from the 1950s or so. For more, see this website. [map]

Fremont Center
Stockton, CA
Pinasco Plumbing & Heating
Stockton, CA
Delta Market & Liquors
Stockton, CA
The Fremont Center supermarket sign is probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2014. In 2015, the sign was painted red. [map]

Pinasco Plumbing & Heating was established in 1957. This sign appears to be from then. It probably had neon originally. This photo is from 2014. By 2016, the sign had been covered with panels for Santa Maria Party. [map]

The Delta Market & Liquors signs are located on the same lot. The liquor store apparently had a different name originally. The signs are probably from the 1950s. The liquor store sign's pouring bottle must have been animated. [map]

Cozy Motel
Stockton, CA
Knotty Pine Motel
Stockton, CA
Bank of Stockton
Stockton, CA
The Cozy Motel has been here since at least 1960. For more, see this website. [map]

There was a different sign at the Knotty Pine Motel originally. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. It was painted a pinkish red before this current color scheme. Most likely, at least the upper panel was painted a wood grain brown. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

This Bank of Stockton building was constructed in 1907 for the Stockton Savings & Loan. This sign is probably from the 1950s. It was most likely a replacement for at least one earlier blade sign. [map]

Lincoln Center
Stockton, CA
The Lincoln Center shopping center opened in 1951. The 100 foot tall sign tower came from Turlock. It was moved here and the sign was installed in 1953. The panels with the eight-foot-tall "L" revolve. It is lit with neon on one side and bulbs on the other. In 2016, the sign panels were removed for restoration. The incandescent bulbs will be replaced with LED bulbs. The message board will probably be replaced with a digital board. From the artist's illustration, it looks like they are replacing the neon "L" with backlit plastic. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Capitol Furniture
Stockton, CA
Pacific
Motel [gone]
Stockton, CA
Pete's Liquors
Stockton, CA
The Capitol Furniture sign was probably built in the 1950s. [map]

The Pacific Motel sign was probably from the late 1950s. This photo is from 2008. By 2013, the sign had been replaced with a plastic box sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The pouring bottle on the Pete's Liquors sign must have been animated originally. I don't believe the sign is lit anymore. It was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Ye Olde Hoosier Inn
Stockton, CA
The Ye Olde Hoosier Inn opened in 1933. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The restaurant closed in 2006 and was demolished. This sign is now displayed in front of a residence in town. This photo is from 2016. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Museum of
Neon Art
Other
California

Main Signs Page