email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

California Signs (page 20)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Fiesta Market
Sebastopol, CA
Westinghouse Appliances
Sebastopol, CA
Pine Cone Restaurant
Sebastopol, CA
The Fiesta Market was built in 1966. I believe this sign is from then. [map]

This Westinghouse Appliances is displayed at Renga Arts. These signs were mass-produced but only a handful are still on public display.

The Pine Cone Restaurant opened sometime in the 1950s. Although the Gypsy Cafe is in the building now, this sign remains. The first photo is from 2008; the second is from 2016. For more, see this website. [map]

Freeway Lanes
Selma, CA
Selma Motel
Selma, CA
The Freeway Lanes opened in 1960. This sign was restored in 2006. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Selma Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Baxter Northup Music
Sherman Oaks, CA
Antonio's Pizzeria
Sherman Oaks, CA
McGee's Closet
Sherman Oaks, CA
The Baxter Northup Music was established in 1906. It was originally located in downtown Los Angeles. The store moved to Sherman Oaks in the 1950s and then to this location in 1993. This sign was probably built in the 1950s and moved when the store did. [map]

Antonio's Pizzeria opened in 1957 as Miceli's restaurant. This sign may be from then. [map]

This McGee's Closet sign originally advertised for Bekins Van & Storage. The building was constructed in 1946 and this sign is probably from then. The sign is lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Boyes Springs
Food Center
Sonoma, CA
Duggan's Mission Chapel
Sonoma, CA
The Boyes Springs Food Center sign is probably from the 1950s. It was previously painted brown and gold. It was repainted sometime between 2009 and 2011. This photo is from 2016. [map]

Duggan's Mission Chapel was established in 1959. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Sonora:
I.O.O.F.

Mike's Liquor
South El Monte, CA
Southland Motel [gone]
South Gate, CA
The Mike's Liquor sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Southland Motel and its rooftop sign have been around since at least the early 1940s. This photo is from 2013. By 2014, the sign had been replaced with a new non-neon replacement. For more, see this website.

Washoe Motel
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Stardust Lodge
South Lake Tahoe, CA
The Washoe Motel sign was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Stardust Lodge sign appears to be from the 1960s. The lettering and design was apparently inspired by the Stardust Hotel sign in Las Vegas. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Metropolitan Hotel
South San Francisco, CA
South City
Lumber & Supply
South San Francisco, CA
El Bonita Motel
St. Helena, CA
Riviera Motel
Stanton, CA
Tahiti Motel
Stanton, CA
The Metropolitan Hotel was built in 1912. This sign appears to be from the 1950s or earlier. [map]

South City Lumber & Supply has been at this location since 1908. This Ace Hardware sign was previously installed outside. It is now inside the store and is no longer lit.

The El Bonita Motel opened in the 1950s. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

The Riviera Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Tahiti Motel sign is probably from the 1960s. A similar sign was used at the Pixie Motel in Anaheim, CA. [map]

More St. Helena Signs:
Keller Brothers Meats

Pink Motel
Sun Valley, CA
The Pink Motel opened in 1946 and is now used for apartments and motel rooms. The Pink Cafe next door is now called Cadillac Jacks and has been non-operational since 1989. Both the restaurant and motel are used for film shoots. For more, see this website. [map]

Big Jim's Restaurant & Bar
Sun Valley, CA
Cooper's Hardware
Sylmar, CA
Big Jim's Restaurant & Bar has been around since at least the 1970s. [map]

Cooper's Hardware was established in 1941. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Elks Lodge
Susanville, CA
Pioneer Saloon
Susanville, CA
Grand Cafe
Susanville, CA
This Elks Lodge sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Pioneer Saloon was established in 1862 as the Humboldt Exchange Saloon. It became the Pioneer Saloon in 1863. The Pioneer sign may be from the 1920s. The cocktail glass and "cafe" signs were probably added later. The building now houses the Lassen Ale Works at the Pioneer Saloon. For more, see this website. [map]

The Grand Cafe opened in 1921. The building collapsed in 1934. In 1935, the restaurant reopened at its present location, next door to the original site. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. The restaurant has been closed for many years. [map]

More Susanville Signs:
Knights' Inn Motel: 1, 2
Main Street Bowl: 1, 2
T&A Cocktail Lounge

Oasis Restaurant
& Nightclub
Taft, CA
Independent Order
of Odd Fellows
Taft, CA
Rotary
International
Taft, CA
OCAW
Taft, CA
The Oasis Restaurant & Nightclub sign is probably from the 1950s. It may have been reworked from a previous business name. [map]

The Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall was built in 1939. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

This Rotary International club was established in 1924. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The OCAW acronym stands for the Oil, Chemical and Atomic Workers Union. The Union was established in 1955 and this sign is probably from around then. [map]

Corbin Bowl
Tarzana, CA
Ranch House Motel
Tehachapi, CA
Santa Fe Motel
Tehachapi, CA
Burger Spot
Tehachapi, CA
The Corbin Bowl opened in 1959 and this sign is probably from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Ranch House Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Santa Fe Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Burger Spot was probably built in the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Wonder Cleaners
& Draperies
Temple City, CA
Ralph's Club
Tracy, CA
Lighthouse Inn
Trinidad, CA
Wonder Cleaners & Draperies opened around 1950. [map]

The Ralph's Club sign has been here since at least 1953. The "Liquors" panel at the top of the sign was added later. At some point, the cocktail glass was moved from the middle to the end of the lower panel. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The neon on the Lighthouse Inn sign appears to be broken. I'm not sure if the place still functions as a motel. For more, see this website. [map]

Mazon Auto Center
Tulare, CA
Canby's Air Conditioning & Heating
Tulare, CA
Lyn's Cafe [gone]
Tulare, CA
The Mazon Auto Center sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. It probably advertised for a different business originally. [map]

Canby's Air Conditioning & Heating was established in 1924 at a different location. Canby's moved to this building in 1944. There was a fire just a few months later. The store was rebuilt and this sign feature was added around 1949. The building was repainted between these 2008 and 2013 photos above. [map]

Lyn's Cafe was known as the El Charrito Restaurant when these photos were taken in 2008. By 2013, the restaurant was known as T-Bones Ranch House and the sign was gone. The two star-like elements were examples of Standard Neon Supply Co.'s Neo-Lectra Jr. signs produced in the 1960s. They would have flashed originally. For examples of Standard Neon's Neo-Lectra signs, see this page. For more, see this website.

Youngdale's
Appliances
Turlock, CA
Venice Motel
Turlock, CA
Veterinary
Medical Center of Turlock
Turlock, CA
Polly Ann Bakery
Turlock, CA
Youngdale's Appliances opened in 1921. This sign is probably from the 1950s. The store closed in 2009. There is a furniture store in the space now. This sign remains tucked around the side of the building. [map]

The Venice Motel sign was previously painted blue. There was plastic over the letters to protect the neon. The plastic and neon were removed when it was repainted. [map]

This dog sign at the Veterinary Medical Center of Turlock was previously installed on top of the building. It had neon at that time. The dog appears to be a Cocker Spaniel. [map]

This Polly Ann Bakery sign was built by the mid-1950s. It was installed on the roof of the business at a shopping center in Modesto, CA. It's possible that there were two of these signs if there were two locations operating at the same time. The sign is now displayed on the back of the building of the Sunrise Bakery. The store operated as the Polly Ann Bakery until about the 1990s. The sign was evidently moved behind the building when the business name changed. The "BAKERY" neon is protected by a wire mesh screen. The Polly Ann letters had neon originally as well. However, I don't believe this sign is lit anymore. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

CA
(page 1)
CA
(page 2)
CA
(page 3)
CA
(page 4)
CA
(page 5)
CA
(page 6)
CA
(page 7)
CA
(page 8)
CA
(page 9)
CA
(page 10)
CA
(page 11)
CA
(page 12)
CA
(page 13)
CA
(page 14)
CA
(page 15)
CA
(page 16)
CA
(page 17)
CA
(page 18)
CA
(page 19)
CA
(page 21)
CA
(page 22)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art

Main Signs Page