email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Signs (page 22)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Desert Motors
Victorville, CA
New Corral Motel
Victorville, CA
The Desert Motors sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The New Corral Motel was built in 1947. This sign may be from then. The horse on the sign was originally a reddish brown and the text panel was brown. [map]

Town Center
Pharmacy
Visalia, CA
Visalia Tea Garden
Visalia, CA
The Town Center Pharmacy opened in 1964. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

The Visalia Tea Garden was established in 1922 and is still open. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

More Visalia Signs:
Mearle's Drive-in

Ryde Hotel
Walnut Grove, CA
Ben's Drugs
Walnut Grove, CA
The Ryde Hotel was built in 1927. This sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Ben's Drugs was founded in 1907. The store is gone but this sign remains. It was probably built in the 1940s or 1950s. There is another Ben's Drugs sign around the corner which might be from the 1930s. [map]

Tony's Place
Walnut Grove, CA
The Tony's Place sign appears to be from at least the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Van's Shoes
Watsonville, CA
May Way
Shopping Center
Watsonville, CA
Hi-Lo Motel
Weed, CA
Townhouse Motel
Weed, CA
The main sign at Van's Shoes is probably from the 1950s. Red Goose Shoes signs were mass-produced but I have not seen one like this before. It is also very unusual to see three different shoe brands (Red Goose, Friedman-Shelby and John C. Roberts) advertised on the same sign. The shoe-shaped sign below that one is probably older. Although it's painted over, you can still make out the word "Renewing" on it. [map]

The May Way Shopping Center was built around 1951. This sign is probably from then. [map]

The Hi-Lo Motel was built as the Rest Motor Coach. It became the Hi-Lo Motel in 1951. This sign is probably from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Townhouse Motel sign was previously painted red. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Weaverville Signs:
Diggin's Tavern

Eastland Center
West Covina, CA
Reynolds
Buick [gone]
West Covina, CA
Clippinger Chevrolet
West Covina, CA
Eastland Center was built in 1957 as the Eastland Shopping Center, an outdoor mall. This towering sign is not the same style as the neon original. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Reynolds Buick has been around since 1915. The dealership moved to its current location in 1965. This sign was probably from then. The dealership was updated in 2015 and this sign was removed. For more, see this website.

Clippinger Chevrolet was established in 1921. The dealership closed around 2008. These signs were still on the lot when these photos were taken in 2013. The signs appeared to be from the 1950s. The "Chevrolet" part of the sign on the left originally revolved. By 2015, used cars were back on the lot. The Chevrolet panels had been removed but the Clippinger sign was still there. The "Trucks" sign, shown on the right, was gone. [map]

Party Snacks Liquor
Whittier, CA
Hammerford Construction
Whittier, CA
Twin Palms Village
Whittier, CA
Traveler's Motel [gone]
Williams, CA
Party Snacks Liquor opened in 1965. This sign is probably from then. [map]

Hammerford Construction had been here since 1960. This giant hammer sign is probably from that time. This photo was taken in 2008. By 2010, the sign had been repurposed for other businesses. The second photo above is from 2012. [map]

The Twin Palms Village is a small shopping center with two identical signs which are still lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

This photo of the Traveler's Motel sign is from 2008. By 2012, it was replaced with a backlit plastic sign. For more, see this website.

Welcome Arch
Willits, CA
This Welcome Arch originally stood in Reno, NV. It was built in 1963. Reno replaced that sign with another one in 1987. The sign was donated to Willits, CA. It was reworked and installed in Willits in 1995. The spear-like sign poles also came from Reno. The sign now reads "Gateway to the Redwoods" on one side and "Heart of Mendocino County" on the other. [map]

Hotel Van
Willits, CA
Lark Motel [gone]
Willits, CA
Willows Hardware
Willows, CA
The Hotel Van was built in 1924. This sign is probably from the late 1940s or 1950s. [map]

This photo of the Lark Motel sign was taken in 2008. In 2015, the sign was removed and scrapped. For more, see this website.

Willows Hardware opened in 1959. This sign is probably from then. [map]

More Willits Signs:
Al's Redwood Room
Pepperwood Motel

Don Hotel
Wilmington, CA
shoe repair
Wilmington, CA
The Don Hotel was built in 1929. This sign has been there since at least the late 1940s. Since 1999, the building has housed the Don Senior Apartments. For more, see this website. [map]

This shoe repair sign is probably from the 1920s or 1930s. The shoe store is long gone. It was probably backlit with opal glass originally. The panels are made from ripple tin. These photos are from 2014. The sign was repainted sometime after this 2010 photo. [map]

Tony's Cocktails
Woodland, CA
Tony's Motel [gone]
Woodland, CA
Woodland Court Motel [gone]
Woodland, CA
The Tony's Cocktails sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

I assume that Tony's Motel, which is just down the street from Tony's Cocktails, was owned by the same man. The "Tony's" panel might have been a later addition or replacement for a name change. The sign was removed in 2016.

The Woodland Court Motel sign was probably from the 1950s or earlier. The panels were previously painted red. The sign was removed in 2012. It is now in a private collection. For more, see this website.

Corner Drug Co.
Woodland, CA
The Corner Drug Co. store opened as Pond's Drug Store in 1897. In 1934, the name was changed to Corner Drug. The store was part of the Walgreen Agency chain. The Corner Drug sign panels were installed in 1948. I don't know if the "Drugs" sign and the mortar and pestle signs were there before that. When the store became part of the Valu Rite chain, the "Walgreen" text was covered up with small Valu Rite panels. The signs were restored in 2013. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Woodland Signs:
Pontiac & Buick: 1, 2 [gone]
The Shanty [gone]

Carlson's Liquor
Woodland Hills, CA
Little Orchids Restaurant
Woodland Hills, CA
The Carlson's Liquor sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Little Orchids Restaurant sign is probably from the 1960s or 1970s. [map]

Rex Club
Yreka, CA
Town Pump [gone]
Yuba City, CA
The Spur
Yuba City, CA
The Rex Club opened in 1928. This sign is probably from the 1930s or 1940s. [map]

This photo of the Town Pump sign is from 2008. By 2013, the business and sign were gone. For more, see this website.

The Spur sign is probably from the 1950s. The bar has closed but this sign was still there in 2015. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Yreka Signs:
Shamrock Restaurant
Welcome sign

More Yuba City Signs:
Hal's Grubstake [gone]

CA
(page 1)
CA
(page 2)
CA
(page 3)
CA
(page 4)
CA
(page 5)
CA
(page 6)
CA
(page 7)
CA
(page 8)
CA
(page 9)
CA
(page 10)
CA
(page 11)
CA
(page 12)
CA
(page 13)
CA
(page 14)
CA
(page 15)
CA
(page 16)
CA
(page 17)
CA
(page 18)
CA
(page 19)
CA
(page 20)
CA
(page 21)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art

Main Signs Page