email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Signs (page 12)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Lumberjack Tavern [gone]
Orick, CA
Williams TV
Oroville, CA
City of Paris
Oroville, CA
The Lumberjack Tavern housed the Hawg Wild Bar & Grill when this photo was taken in 2008. The neon martini was folded down. in 2016, the sign was removed and put in storage. The building is no longer used as a bar.

The Williams TV sign appears to be from the 1950s. [map]

The City of Paris department store opened in 1920. Although the store is long gone, this sign remains. It is probably from the late 1920s or 1930s. [map]

More Oroville Signs:
Dahl's Motel [gone]
I.O.O.F.

Wagon Wheel Bowl [gone]
Oxnard, CA
Wagon Wheel Restaurant & Motel [gone]
Oxnard, CA
The Wagon Wheel Bowl was designed by Arthur Froehlich and built in 1953. When it closed in 2015, it was the last business still operating which was part of Wagon Wheel Junction. The Wagon Wheel Restaurant & Motel sign panels with the coach and horses came from the Tom-Tom Club which had operated in Oxnard, CA.

The 40-acre Western-themed complex was built in the 1940s. The other buildings, including the Wagon Wheel Restaurant & Motel, were built in 1947. The restaurant closed in 2005 and the motel in 2006. These buildings remained vacant until 2011 when they were demolished. The bowling alley continued operating until 2015. It was demolished in 2016. Other previous businesses at Wagon Wheel Junction included the Roller Gardens roller skating rink, a shopping center, the Wagon Wheel Steakhouse, the El Ranchito Mexican Restaurant, and the tiki style Trade Winds Restaurant.

Both of these signs were removed in 2016. It's possible that part of the Wagon Wheel Restaurant & Motel sign will be used in the new development. The text panels are now in storage at the Valley Relics Museum in Chatsworth, CA. The Wagon Wheel Bowl sign is also believed to be in storage. The complex once had a huge, animated Wagon Wheel Junction sign shaped like a wagon wheel next to Highway 101. That sign has been gone for decades. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

More Oxnard Signs:
Missile Motel [vintage; gone]

Paddock Bowl
Pacheco, CA
Drugs
Palm Springs, CA
The Paddock Bowl sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

This Drugs sign is located in the lobby of the Parker Hotel. The sign was purchased at an auction in the Midwest. It was probably built in the 1920s or 1930s. The letters are studded with glass, screw-in buttons which were backlit with bulbs originally. The sign has been updated inside and is now lit with a fluorescent tube.

Colt's Lodge
Palm Springs, CA
These modern female and male diver signs are located next to the pool at Colt's Lodge. Vintage signs with female divers indicated that a motel had a pool.

Pacifica:
U-Save Liquors
Winters Bar

former Spring Garden Restaurant
Pasadena, CA
2008: 2015:
The Spring Garden Restaurant sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. I believe it was the building's original occupant. In 2014, the building was stripped to the wooden skeleton and adapted for the Avanti Italian Bistro & Bar. The sign was adapted. [map]

Public Storage Co.
Pasadena, CA
The Public Storage Co. was installed in 1926 as a bulb sign with the text "Standard Fireproof Storage Company. "Standard Fireproof was changed to "Bekins" in 1929. The sign was converted to neon at that time. Much later, it was adapted for A-American Storage. The 32 foot long, double-sided sign is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It For more, see this website. [map]

Hi-Way Host Motel
Pasadena, CA
Talbott Electric
Pasadena, CA
Buca di Beppo
Pasadena, CA
Hotel Livingstone
Pasadena, CA
The Hi-Way Host Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Talbott Electric was established in 1924. This sign is probably from the 1950s. It features a representation of Reddy Kilowatt. [map]

This Buca di Beppo restaurant sign is modern. The first location opened in Minneapolis in 1993. There are about 88 locations now which, I believe, all feature this same sign. The design was probably based on the Cantina Italiana sign in Boston, MA. [map]

The Hotel Livingstone was built in 1926. The building and sign were refurbished in 2011. The other side of the sign does not incorporate the curlicue upper part of the "L" that projects from the top of the sign. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Bells & Vaughn
Pasadena, CA
Pasada Motel
Pasadena, CA
C&H Surplus
Pasadena, CA
Fedde Furniture
Pasadena, CA
Bells & Vaughn has been in the collision repair business since 1946. This sign was installed around 1955. For more, see this website. [map]

The Pasada Motel was originally known as the "Pasadia Motor Hotel." This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2008. Since then, the sign has been repainted and the "Motel" is now composed of plastic letters. For more, see this website. [map]

C&H Surplus is an electronics and hobby shop. This sign was installed in 1956. The company moved to Duarte in 2008. The sign was still there in 2016. [map]

Fedde Furniture was established in 1937. This rooftop sign was installed around 1950. For more, see this website. [map]

Zinke's Shoe Repair [gone]
Pasadena, CA
Orange Grove Shopping Center
Pasadena, CA
Allied Auto Supply
Pasadena, CA
The Zinke's Shoe Repair chain was established in 1919. This sign was from 1948. This photo is from 2008. The sign was still there in 2011 but, by 2014, it was gone. There was a similar sign in Glendale, CA which is now located at the Museum of Neon Art. There was another sign in Glendale which was removed and later destroyed.

The Orange Grove Shopping Center sign was built in 1959. [map]

Allied Auto Supply opened here in 1952. This sign had neon originally. [map]

Cameron's Seafood
Pasadena, CA
Fair Oaks Pharmacy
South Pasadena, CA
Cameron's Seafood opened in 1984. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Fair Oaks Pharmacy opened in 1915 as the South Pasadena Pharmacy. It was known as the Raymond Pharmacy in the 1920s and 1930s. The pharmacy was restored in the early 1990s. Antique cabinetry and a soda fountain from the McGee Pharmacy in Joplin, MO were installed at that time. These neon signs are lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Pasadena Signs:
Original Whistle Stop

More South Pasadena Signs:
Gus's Barbecue

CA
(page 1)
CA
(page 2)
CA
(page 3)
CA
(page 4)
CA
(page 5)
CA
(page 6)
CA
(page 7)
CA
(page 8)
CA
(page 9)
CA
(page 10)
CA
(page 11)
CA
(page 13)
CA
(page 14)
CA
(page 15)
CA
(page 16)
CA
(page 17)
CA
(page 18)
CA
(page 19)
CA
(page 20)
CA
(page 21)
CA
(page 22)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art

Main Signs Page