email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

California Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Club Mallard
Albany, CA
Club Mallard opened in 1945. This sign may be from then. [map]

Max's Liquor
Albany, CA
The Max's Liquors signs are probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Hotsy Totsy Club
Albany, CA
Albany Bowl
Albany, CA
The Hotsy Totsy Club opened in 1940. The sign was restored in 2008. This photo is from 2014. For more, see this website. [map]

The Albany Bowl has been here since at least 1953. [map]

Ivy Room
Albany, CA
The Ivy Room opened in the 1940s. This sign is probably from the 1950s. Around 2006, the sign panels were extended on top for the name Kingman's. This addition has now been painted over. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Twohey's Restaurant
Alhambra, CA
Sahara Motel
Anaheim, CA
Robin Hood
Motel
Anaheim, CA
Twohey's Restaurant was established in 1943 in Pasadena. The original sign featured the spelling of the name as "2 EE's". The mascot known as "Little Stinko" had animated tears. The restaurant moved to this Alhambra location in the 1950s. This three-sided sign is modern. Twohey's is famous for its Stinko Burgers which are smothered with onions. The restaurant had car hop service until 1977 when the building was remodeled. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Sahara Motel sign is probably from the late 1950s or early 1960s. It has been repainted over the years but the shapes and font have not changed. This photo is from 2013. At the end of 2015 or early 2016, the sign was repainted. The name and font must have been inspired by the former Sahara Hotel sign in Las Vegas, NV. [map]

I believe the Robin Hood Motel sign is probably from the late 1950s or 1960s. It is virtually the same as it was originally. For more, see this website. [map]

Anchor Motel
Anaheim, CA
Angel Stadium
Anaheim, CA
Doll Hut
Anaheim, CA
Americana Motel
Anaheim, CA
Linbrook Family Billiards
Anaheim, CA
The Anchor Motel was built in 1954. The original sign was replaced with this one in 1959. For more, see this website. [map]

The Angel Stadium baseball park was built from 1964-1966. This 23-story tall "Big A" sign was originally used inside the park as a scoreboard support. In the late 1970s, this sign was moved to the parking lot. The halo is lit at night when the Angels win a game. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Doll Hut opened a a truck stop cafe in 1936. It became a bar in the 1950s. This sign is probably from then. The plastic panel protects the neon tubing from vandals. For more, see this website. [map]

The Americana Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. There may have been a neon piece in the hole in the middle of the sign originally. [map]

The Linbrook Family Billiards sign might be from the 1960s or 1970s. [map]

Linbrook Bowl
Anaheim, CA
The Linbrook Bowl opened in 1958. This sign appears to be from then. The bowling pin revolved originally. [map]

Paul Kott
Realtors
Anaheim, CA
Ben-Key
Pool Center
Anaheim, CA
La Palma Chicken Pie Shop [gone]
Anaheim, CA
Paul Kott Realtors was established in 1982. This sign was probably adapted from another realtor or other business. It might be from the 1960s. [map]

The Ben-Key Pool Center sign is probably from the 1960s. The building was demolished in 20015 but the sign remains as of 2016. [map]

The La Palma Chicken Pie Shop opened in 1956. This sign is probably from then. The sign was repainted and the neon repaired in 2012. These photos are from 2013. In 2016, the business closed. The top part of the sign with the chicken and the panel with the "La Palma" text was saved and is now in the collection of the Museum of Neon Art. It is not known what will happen with the rest of the sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

More Anaheim Signs:
Skyview Motel [vintage; gone]
Wonder Bowl [vintage; gone]

ABC Rendezvous
Antioch, CA
Mac's Old House
Antioch, CA
buffalo sign
Apple Valley, CA
The ABC Rendezvous bar sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Mac's Old House opened as a bar in the mid-1950s. This sign is probably from then. Mac's Old House is now a restaurant. For more, see this website. [map]

This buffalo sign now advertises for Dr. Yoonho Chang. Does anyone know what business it advertised for originally? [map]

The Derby
Arcadia, CA
Toby & Jack's
Arcata, CA
Sidelines Sports Bar
Arcata, CA
The Derby was established in 1922 as the Proctor Tavern. It moved to this location in 1931. This sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Toby & Jack's sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Sidelines Sports Bar sign probably projected from the building rather than being mounted flat against it. It appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

More Arcata Signs:
Everett's Club

CA
(page 2)
CA
(page 3)
CA
(page 4)
CA
(page 5)
CA
(page 6)
CA
(page 7)
CA
(page 8)
CA
(page 9)
CA
(page 10)
CA
(page 11)
CA
(page 12)
CA
(page 13)
CA
(page 14)
CA
(page 15)
CA
(page 16)
CA
(page 17)
CA
(page 18)
CA
(page 19)
CA
(page 20)
CA
(page 21)
CA
(page 22)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art

Main Signs Page