email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Signs (page 19)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former Spring Garden Restaurant
Pasadena, CA
2008: 2015:
The Spring Garden Restaurant sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. I believe it was the building's original occupant. In 2014, the building was stripped to the wooden skeleton and adapted for the Avanti Italian Bistro & Bar. The sign was adapted. [map]

Public Storage Co.
Pasadena, CA
The Public Storage Co. was installed in 1926 as a bulb sign with the text "Standard Fireproof Storage Company. "Standard Fireproof was changed to "Bekins" in 1929. The sign was converted to neon at that time. Much later, it was adapted for A-American Storage. The 32 foot long, double-sided sign is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It For more, see this website. [map]

Hi-Way Host Motel
Pasadena, CA
Talbott Electric
Pasadena, CA
Buca di Beppo
Pasadena, CA
Hotel Livingstone
Pasadena, CA
The Hi-Way Host Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Talbott Electric was established in 1924. This sign is probably from the 1950s. It features a representation of Reddy Kilowatt. [map]

This Buca di Beppo restaurant sign is modern. The first location opened in Minneapolis in 1993. There are about 88 locations now which, I believe, all feature this same sign. The design was probably based on the Cantina Italiana sign in Boston, MA. [map]

The Hotel Livingstone was built in 1926. The building and sign were refurbished in 2011. The other side of the sign does not incorporate the curlicue upper part of the "L" that projects from the top of the sign. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Bells & Vaughn
Pasadena, CA
Pasada Motel
Pasadena, CA
C&H Surplus
Pasadena, CA
Fedde Furniture
Pasadena, CA
Bells & Vaughn has been in the collision repair business since 1946. This sign was installed around 1955. For more, see this website. [map]

The Pasada Motel was originally known as the "Pasadia Motor Hotel." This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2008. Since then, the sign has been repainted and the "Motel" is now composed of plastic letters. For more, see this website. [map]

C&H Surplus is an electronics and hobby shop. This sign was installed in 1956. The company moved to Duarte in 2008. The sign was still there in 2016. [map]

Fedde Furniture was established in 1937. This rooftop sign was installed around 1950. For more, see this website. [map]

Zinke's Shoe Repair [gone]
Pasadena, CA
Orange Grove Shopping Center
Pasadena, CA
Allied Auto Supply
Pasadena, CA
The Zinke's Shoe Repair chain was established in 1919. This sign was from 1948. This photo is from 2008. The sign was still there in 2011 but, by 2014, it was gone. There was a similar sign in Glendale, CA which is now located at the Museum of Neon Art. There was another sign in Glendale which was removed and later destroyed.

The Orange Grove Shopping Center sign was built in 1959. [map]

Allied Auto Supply opened here in 1952. This sign had neon originally. [map]

Cameron's Seafood
Pasadena, CA
Fair Oaks Pharmacy
South Pasadena, CA
Cameron's Seafood opened in 1984. For more, see this website. [map]

The Fair Oaks Pharmacy opened in 1915 as the South Pasadena Pharmacy. It was known as the Raymond Pharmacy in the 1920s and 1930s. The pharmacy was restored in the early 1990s. Antique cabinetry and a soda fountain from the McGee Pharmacy in Joplin, MO were installed at that time. These neon signs are lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

More Pasadena Signs:
Original Whistle Stop

More South Pasadena Signs:
Gus's Barbecue

Farmhouse Motel
Paso Robles, CA
Johnny's Club
Patterson, CA
Twin Oaks Tavern
Penngrove, CA
Valencia Club
Penryn, CA
The Farmhouse Motel sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Johnny's Club sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The Twin Oaks Tavern opened in 1924. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Valencia Club opened in the 1930s as the Hill Top Cafe. This sign was built in the early 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Pescadero Signs:
Duarte's Tavern [map]

Pinky's Pizza
Petaluma, CA
2008: 2016:
Pinky's Pizza opened in 1962. Around 2013, the sign's panels were replaced. [map]

Hatchery Restaurant
Petaluma, CA
Mario & John's Tavern
Petaluma, CA
7-Eleven
Petaluma, CA
The Hatchery Restaurant is gone but this sign remains. There is a mix of retail shops in the building now. Petaluma was once known as the Chicken Capital of the World. This building was originally used as a hatchery. [map]

Mario & John's Tavern opened in 1946. This sign may be from then. It was restored around 2015. This photo is from 2016. [map]

This 7-Eleven sign is probably from the 1970s. They are very rare but there are a few others in Northern California including these in San Jose, CA. [map]

More Petaluma Signs:
Buckhorn Tavern
Linch Jewelry

Alameda Albany -
Apple Valley
Arcadia -
Barstow
Bakersfield Bay Point -
Beverly Hills
Big Bear Lake -
Bridgeport
Buellton Buena Park -
Carpinteria
Catheys Valley -
Costa Mesa
Cotati -
El Centro
El Dorado -
Escondido
Eureka -
Garden Grove
Fresno Gilroy -
Happy Camp
Hawthorne -
Lakehead
Hayward &
San Leandro
Lakewood -
Lindsay
Lodi -
Lone Pine
Long Beach Los Angeles Madera -
Mendota
Merced -
Monterey
Morgan Hill -
Oceanside
Oakland
Ontario -
Pacifica
Pico Rivera -
Pomona
Porterville -
Redondo Beach
Redwood City -
Richmond
Rio Vista -
Roseville
Sacramento Salida -
San Bernardino
San Bruno -
San Luis Obispo
San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose San Mateo -
Santa Barbara
Santa Clara -
Santa Monica
Santa Paula -
St. Helena
Stockton
Sun Valley -
Ukiah
Upland -
Vernon
Victorville -
Wilmington
Woodland -
Yuba City
Museum of
Neon Art

Main Signs Page