email: roadarch@outlook.com

Museum of Neon Art (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

The Museum of Neon Art (MONA) features vintage signs as well as modern, sculptural neon art. The museum was founded in 1981. After temporary locations in downtown Los Angeles and Universal City (see below), MONA opened at its permanent home in Glendale, CA in 2016. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Grand Opening (2016)

The photos shown on this page are a small representation of MONA's collection. The museum rotates vintage signs from its collection and features other vintage and modern neon signs and artwork from outside collections and artists.

The animated Winning Wire sign (top row above) is from the 1930s and features ripple tin panels. For more, see this website.

The Camera sign (second row) was originally displayed at a Iwata Photo Supply in downtown Los Angeles.

The Van de Kamp's Bakery sign (second row) features turning blades. These signs were mass-produced for the company's stores.

The two dog signs (second row) came from Papoo's Hot Dog Show in Burbank, CA. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Bricklayer sign (third row) was built in 1952. It was part of a larger sign installed at Midway Building Materials which was "midway" between Ontario and Pomona. The sign was donated to MONA in 2002.

The Cocktail Glass sign (third row) came from an unknown bar in the Bay Area. The sign was built in the 1930s.

The Leader Foods sign (third row) came from the Grand Central Market in Los Angeles.

The Park sign (fourth row) came from a parking garage in downtown Los Angeles.

The Dining & Banquet Room sign (fourth row) came from the Bel-Air Motel in Fresno, CA. The sign was built in the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Pie A La Mode signs (fourth row) came from the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds in Pomona, CA.

The Grill sign (fourth row) came from San Diego.

The Fun Land sign (fourth and fifth row) was built in the 1930s. It was originally installed at an amusement park in New York.

The Chris' & Pitt's signs (sixth row) are from the 1950s. They were originally displayed at Chris' & Pitt's 8th location in the San Fernando Valley. The pole sign from this location is now located at the American Sign Museum in Cincinnati, OH.

The Dr. N. Hoffman Optometrist sign (second row from the bottom) was originally installed in North Hollywood, CA.

The Pep Boys (Manny, Moe, & Jack) sign is from the 1970s.

"There's More to Neon Signs Than Liquor, Motels and Live Nude Girls" and "Motel California" (2018)
2014: 2018:

2014: 2018:

2014: 2018:

2014: 2018:

2014:
2018:
2018:

The Mission Motel opened in Oakland, CA in 1938. Additions were made to the original sign in 1945. This addition was built in 1950 and installed on top of the sign, making it 24 feet tall. The motel was demolished in 1996. This sign was donated to MONA by the Oakland Museum of Art. For more, see this website.

The Dale's sign was built in the 1940s and was originally installed in Alameda, CA.

The Chief Motel sign was built in the 1950s. The sign was originally located in Long Beach, CA. For more, see this website.

The Hofbrau sign was built in the 1950s. It was originally installed in Oakland, CA. For more, see this website.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre was built in Los Angeles, CA in 1927. Two, 40 foot long neon dragons were added to the building in 1957. They were removed in 2001. In 2007, one of the dragons was donated to MONA. The other was given to the Hollywood Heritage museum. The dragons are animated from the tail to the head. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

The neon anchor was built in 1963 and installed on top of the Edgewater Inn Marina Hotel in Long Beach, CA. The hotel, later known as the Seaport Marina Hotel, was demolished in 2017. The sign was saved by MONA at that time. For more, see this website.

The Western Motel was built in Venice, CA in 1955. This sign was installed then. The sign was saved by MONA in 1983. For more, see this website.

The Tip Top Inn sign was built in the 1940s and originally located in San Francisco, CA. The olive was originally painted red as a cherry. For more, see this website.

The Seal Motel was built in Seal Beach, CA in 1955. This sign was built then by West Coast Neon. The ball on top of the seal's nose flashes in three stages. The sign was removed by 1983 and donated to MONA in 1989.

Some other signs now owned by MONA are featured elsewhere at my website: the Clayton Plumbers sign, the Green Frog Market sign, the Tinder Box sign, the Bendix Building garage sign, the Busy Bee Hardware sign, the Samuel's Florist signs, and the Paramount Pest Control sign.

Museum of Neon Art
(page 2)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Other California
Cities

Main Signs Page