email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Signs (page 21)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Paul
Bunyan Lodge
Porterville, CA
Faggart
Auto Center
Porterville, CA
Rancho Super Car Wash
Rancho Mirage, CA
Sycamore Inn
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Paul Bunyan Lodge is now known as the Palm Tree Inn but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For many years, there was a wood carved statue of Paul Bunyan here which is now in Three Rivers. There was also a fiberglass Babe the Blue Ox statue here as well which is now at the fairgrounds. [map]

The Faggart Auto Center was known as Faggart Buick GMC until 2015. Faggart opened here in 1956 as a Buick dealership. This sign may have advertised for Spear Motors which was here before that. [map]

The Rancho Super Car Wash opened in 1966. This car wash was originally part of the Elephant Car Wash chain in the Seattle area. For more, see this website. [map]

The Sycamore Inn was founded in 1848 as a stage coach stop. This sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Quincy Signs:
Lariat Lodge

Victoria Gardens
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Victoria Gardens shopping center was built in 2004. This collection of vintage signs was installed over various businesses to give the place a sense of "layered history". I don't know where these signs were located originally or if they come from one person's collection. [map]

More Rancho Cucamonga Signs:
Magic Lamp Inn

Turkey Inn
Ramona, CA
Elmore Pharmacy
Red Bluff, CA
Tip's
Red Bluff, CA
The Turkey Inn opened in 1937. This sign is probably from the 1950s or so. For more, see this website. [map]

The Elmore Pharmacy opened in the 1860s. It was a Walgreen Agency until the late 1960s when it became independently owned. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Tip's bar sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Peking Restaurant
Red Bluff, CA
Red Bluff Gold Exchange
Red Bluff, CA
Palomino Room
Red Bluff, CA
The Peking Restaurant sign was probably built in the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Red Bluff Gold Exchange opened in 1994. I assume this sign was adapted from a previous jewelry store. It appears to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Palomino Room opened in 1946. This sign was originally a projecting sign. The other half of this sign is now installed inside. [map]

More Red Bluff Signs:
State Theatre

Redcrest Resort
Redcrest, CA
Country Bowl
Redding, CA
Lim's Cafe
Redding, CA
This bear sign is installed on the roof of the Redcrest Resort gift shop. There were apparently neon tubing holes which were plugged at some point. [map]

This Country Bowl sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Lim's Cafe opened in Redding in 1950. The restaurant moved to this location in 1957. This sign features a panel with a clock on one side and a thermometer on the other. For more, see this website. [map]

Thunderbird Lodge
Redding, CA
Thunderbird Lodge
Chico, CA
The Redding and Chico Thunderbird Lodges were part of a chain. The Chico location was built in 1966. The Redding location was probably also built in the 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [Redding map]; [Chico map]

There is another still-operating location in Riverside, CA. There were others in Alameda, CA, Crescent City, CA, Eureka, CA, and Pullman, WA.

Americana Lodge
Redding, CA
Stardust Motel
Redding, CA
The Americana Lodge and the the Stardust Motel are next door neighbors. These motels have signs on both sides of their properties since they are between two main one-way streets.

The sign on the wall at the Americana Lodge was moved to a lower position sometime after 2007. These photos are from 2015. In 2018, it was announced that the Americana was sold and will be demolished for apartments. There's no word on what will become of these signs. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Stardust Motel has been here since at least the early 1960s. [map]

More Redding Signs:
Gene's Drive-in

Taylor's
Bar & Grill
Redlands, CA
Farmers Insurance Group
Redlands, CA
Artesia Shoe
Repair [gone]
Redondo Beach, CA
Taylor's Bar & Grill was established in 1934. This sign might be from the 1940s. [map]

Dick Hawkins' Farmers Insurance Group office is closed but this sign remains. The neon is missing on one side. These Farmers Insurance signs are very rare now. [map]

The Artesia Shoe Repair sign might have been from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2013. By 2015, the sign was gone. For more, see this website.

More Redondo Beach Signs:
Tony's On the Pier

Alameda Albany -
Apple Valley
Arcadia -
Barstow
Bakersfield Bay Point -
Beverly Hills
Big Bear Lake -
Bridgeport
Buellton Buena Park -
Carpinteria
Catheys Valley -
Costa Mesa
Cotati -
El Centro
El Dorado -
Escondido
Eureka -
Garden Grove
Fresno Gilroy -
Happy Camp
Hawthorne -
Lakehead
Hayward &
San Leandro
Lakewood -
Lindsay
Lodi -
Lone Pine
Long Beach Los Angeles Madera -
Mendota
Merced -
Monterey
Morgan Hill -
Oceanside
Oakland
Ontario -
Pacifica
Pasadena -
Petaluma
Pico Rivera -
Pomona
Redwood City -
Richmond
Rio Vista -
Roseville
Sacramento Salida -
San Bernardino
San Bruno -
San Luis Obispo
San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose San Mateo -
Santa Barbara
Santa Clara -
Santa Monica
Santa Paula -
St. Helena
Stockton
Sun Valley -
Ukiah
Upland -
Vernon
Victorville -
Wilmington
Woodland -
Yuba City
Museum of
Neon Art

Main Signs Page