email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Signs (page 18)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Oceanic
Restaurant
San Mateo, CA
Steamie's Bar
San Mateo, CA
The sign at the Oceanic Restaurant appears to be from the 1950s or earlier. The restaurant probably had another name originally. [map]

Steamie's Bar opened in 1957. This sign may be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Ah Sam Florist
San Mateo, CA
The Ah Sam Florist store was established in 1933. This building and sign appear to be from the 1950s. The neon on the side of the building may be more recent. For more, see this website. [map]

San Pedro Lock & Key
San Pedro, CA
Indian Room [gone]
San Pedro, CA
Country Club Bowl
San Rafael, CA
San Pedro Lock & Key was established in 1933. These signs are probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Indian Room opened in 1936. This sign might have been from then. These photos are from 2014. In 2015, the bar closed and the sign was removed. I believe it was sold to a collector. For more, see this website.

The Country Club Bowl opened in 1959. The "40" refers to the bowling alley's 40 lanes. For more, see this website. [map]

Santa Venetia Market
San Rafael, CA
Litchfield's
San Rafael, CA
The Santa Venetia Market sign is probably from the late 1950s or early 1960s. It was repainted and the neon restored around 2012. For more, see this website. [map]

The Litchfield's sign was built for the Litchfield's Bermuda Palms Motel in 1949. The sign was restored in 2010 by Neon Works of Emeryville, CA. It features about 1,500 bulbs and burgundy colored neon. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More San Rafael Signs:
Dandy Market

Joe's Cafe
Santa Barbara, CA
Joe's Cafe was established in 1928. The sign was designed by the restaurant's owner and built in 1954. The city council was opposed to the sign at that time. [map]

Tee Off Restaurant & Lounge
Santa Barbara, CA
The Tee Off Restaurant & Lounge opened in 1956 and this sign is from then. [map]

Hotel De Riviera
Santa Barbara, CA
Jedlicka's Saddlery
Santa Barbara, CA
Blue Skies Mobile Park
Santa Barbara, CA
The Hotel De Riviera is now used as low income housing. The sign appears to be from the 1920s or 1930s. [map]

Jedlicka's Saddlery opened in 1934 as a shoe repair store. In 1943, the store expanded and began selling saddlery. This sign was built in 1951. It was originally installed on a pole in front of the store. Later on, it was moved to the roof when sign ordinances required it. [map]

The Blue Skies Mobile Park opened in the early 1960s. This sign is from then. [map]

Victor the Florist
Santa Barbara, CA
Victor the Florist opened in 1930. These signs are probably from the 1950s and/or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Capri Motel
Santa Clara, CA
2014: 2017:
The Capri Motel was built in 1958. This sign appears to be from then. The sign was restored in 2017. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Western Motel
Santa Clara, CA
2014: 2015:
The Western Motel opened in 1948. This sign was installed in 1958. This photo is from 2014. In 2015, the neon was removed and the sign was repainted with less detail and changed text. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

CA
(page 1)
CA
(page 2)
CA
(page 3)
CA
(page 4)
CA
(page 5)
CA
(page 6)
CA
(page 7)
CA
(page 8)
CA
(page 9)
CA
(page 10)
CA
(page 11)
CA
(page 12)
CA
(page 13)
CA
(page 14)
CA
(page 15)
CA
(page 16)
CA
(page 17)
CA
(page 19)
CA
(page 20)
CA
(page 21)
CA
(page 22)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art

Main Signs Page