email: roadarch@outlook.com

Hayward & San Leandro Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Hayward Ranch
Hayward, CA
The Hayward Ranch opened in 1948. This sign is probably from the late 1950s or 1960s. It features a three-dimensional steer head on one side and a plastic panel with a cocktail glass on the other. For more, see this website. [map]

Holiday Bowl
Hayward, CA
Holiday House
Banquet Room
Hayward, CA
The Holiday Bowl opened in 1958. The Holiday House banquet room was added in 1965. The Holiday Bowl closed in 2005. The buildings are still vacant and the 60 foot tall Holiday Bowl sign remains. For more, see this website. [map]

Shasta Beverages
Hayward, CA
Hayward Fishery
Hayward, CA
Emil Villa's
Hayward, CA
Emil Villa's
San Leandro, CA
Shasta Beverages was founded in 1889 as the Mt. Shasta Mineral Springs Company. The company's production and headquarters are based in Hayward. This sign looks like it might have been installed in the 1950s or 1960s. There is also a giant soda can sign here. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hayward Fishery opened in 1942 and this sign was installed then. It was designed by the business owner, Gus Aguiar, and built for $1,500. The sign was sequentially animated with the small fish descending into the mouth of the big fish at the bottom. Initially, the business was a grocery store, fish market, and bait shop. It didn't become a restaurant until the late 1970s. By the late 1960s, the sign was only partially lit. The sign was turned off around 1970 after it caught fire. In 1980, the owners decided to remodel the restaurant and have the sign restored. As is the case with most cities, vintage signs cannot be removed and reinstalled. The Hayward sign was repaired and repainted in place for $3,500. The sign's animation was not permitted. The restaurant closed in 2005. It reopened the same year as Art's Crab Shack. Art's added their own sign and had the Fishery sign restored. Art's closed just a few years later. The building remains vacant and the Fishery sign is dark. When it was lit, it featured yellow, pink, green, and white neon. For more, see this website. [map]

The Emil Villa's restaurant chain was established in Oakland, CA in 1928. At one time, there were eight Bay Area locations. In 1998, the company went bankrupt and the locations became independently operated. The Hayward location opened in the 1940s. It is now known as Emil Villa's California Barbecue. In 2016, the neon was removed and the plastic panels were installed. [map]

The neon on the San Leandro sign has been replaced with LED tubing. I believe that took place just before this photo was taken in 2014. That location is now called Emil Villa's Hickory Pit. [map]

More Hayward:
Mister Donut

Eden Center
San Leandro, CA
Pelton Plaza
San Leandro, CA
Cal West Motors
San Leandro, CA
The Eden Center shopping center sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Pelton Plaza shopping center was built in 1948. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Cal West Motors has only been in San Leandro since 1981. This sign must have been built then or adapted from another business. [map]

Trailer Haven
San Leandro, CA
Trailer Haven is an RV park campground. The business was established in 1937 but I believe this sign is modern. [map]

Palma Plaza
San Leandro, CA
The Palma Plaza shopping center opened in the late 1950s. The buildings were destroyed by fires in 2000 and 2001. This sign was spared. According to one source, the sign was mistakenly torn down and had to be rebuilt. For more, see this website. [map]

Usher Inn
San Leandro, CA
Paradise Trailer Court
San Leandro, CA
Pagano's
San Leandro, CA
Manor Shopping Center
San Leandro, CA
The Usher Inn sign appears to be from the 1960s. This photo is from 2014. By 2016, the sign was painted black. [map]

The Paradise Trailer Court sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Pagano's sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Manor Shopping Center was built in the early 1950s and this sign is from then. The neon was restored in 2013. For more, see this website. [map]

Ernie's Sea Food
San Leandro, CA

2008:

2014:
Ernie's Sea Food opened in 1953 and this sign appears to be from then. There was more neon on the side of the building. That was replaced by backlit plastic letters around 2010. The backlit plastic sign on the building shown on the lower right above is probably from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

More San Leandro:
Fifth Wheel Food
Pee Wee's Pizza

Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Long Beach Los Angeles Oakland
Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art
Other
California

Main Signs Page