email: roadarch@outlook.com

Austin Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Centennial Liquor Stop
N. Lamar St.
Austin, TX
Centennial Liquor Stop
Guadalupe St.
Austin, TX
The Centennial Liquor Stop signs appear to be from the 1950s or 1960s. The N. Lamar store has been gone for many years but this sign remains. The Guadalupe store was purchased by Twin Liquors around 2005 but these signs are still there. For more, see this website. [N. Lamar map]; [Guadalupe map]

Bel-Air Motel
Austin, TX
Classic Inn Motel
Austin, TX
Hill's Cafe
Austin, TX
Tropic
Shop [gone]
Austin, TX
Capitol Saddlery
Austin, TX
The Bel-Air Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Classic Inn Motel was originally the Goodnight Motel. It opened in 1941. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hills Cafe opened in 1947. This sign is probably from then. [map]

The Tropic Shop sold wicker and rattan furniture. The store was gone when this photo was taken in 2011. The sign was still there in 2013 but gone in 2014.

Capitol Saddlery was founded in 1930 and moved here in 1942. By 2007, the store had moved to another location. This photo is from 2011. This sign is still there. The lower text panel has been removed. [map]

former Cothron's Safe & Lock
Austin, TX
The Pit Bar-B-Que
Austin, TX
This Cothron's Safe & Lock key-shaped sign was adapted for Wahoo's Fish Tacos by 2007. Holy Roller opened in the space in 2017. The sign was adapted again. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Pit Bar-B-Que opened in 1970. This sign may be from then. [map]

Sahara Motel
Austin, TX
Gibson Guitar Showroom
Austin, TX
This Sahara Motel sign was originally located in Abilene, TX. The motel had been abandoned for many years. The sign is now in the backyard patio area at the Sahara Lounge which opened in 2011.

The Gibson Guitar Showroom is a private meeting and event space which features live performances, musical instruments and a neon sign collection. Most of the signs are vintage but some are vintage-looking modern signs. Since the place is only open by appointment, I was unable to get any other photos of the signs except for this one through the window.

Fox Co.
Austin, TX
M&M Courts
Austin, TX
Night Hawk
Austin, TX
Jake's Beer
Austin, TX
Williams Oil-O-Matic Oil Burners
Austin, TX
Twin Oaks Shopping Center
Austin, TX
These signs are part of the collection located inside Threadgill's restaurant on West Riverside Drive. I'm assuming all or at least most of them came from Austin businesses.

Fox Co., later Fox Photo, was nationwide chain of photo-developing stores. This sign was pulled from a dumpster in the 1980s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

The M&M Courts sign is new. It was created by Roadhouse Relics (see next page) for the restaurant.

The Night Hawk sign is from the restaurant of the same name which opened in Austin in 1932. It came from the original location and is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website.

This vintage Jake's Beer sign flashes, alternating between "Jake's" in green neon and "Beer" in red neon.

The Williams Oil-O-Matic Oil Burners sign appears to be a refurbished oldie. Williams Oil-O-Matic was a Bloomington, IL based company. The Oil-O-Matic was an oil-based heater for homes that reused oil from cars.

The Twin Oaks Shopping Center was built in 1955. By 2014, the neon sign had been replaced with a plastic box sign. The shopping center closed around 2016 and was redeveloped for another one. The neon sign is now located in a small outdoor space and is very difficult to photograph. For more, see this website.

Genie Car Wash [gone]
Austin, TX
Genie Car Wash [gone]
Austin, TX
Genie Car Wash [gone]
Austin, TX

in storage
Austin, TX

Genie Car Wash
Burnet Rd.
Austin, TX
Genie Car Wash
William Cannon Dr.
Austin, TX
Genie Car Wash was established in Waco in 1964. The company has three locations in Austin, the first of which opened in 1968. All three locations had identical neon signs (top row of photos above). Under new ownership in 2009, the signs were refurbished with new material applied over the original paint (bottom row). One of the original Austin signs was saved by Todd Sanders of Roadhouse Relics (middle row). He also has the original neon tubing from the refurbished signs. The original signs in Waco and Hewitt, TX were not updated since those locations are independently owned. For more, see this website. [Burnet Rd. map]; [S. Lamar map]; [William Cannon Dr. map]

Austin
(page 1)
Austin
(page 3)
Dallas Fort Worth El Paso Houston San Antonio
TX (page 1) TX (page 2) TX (page 3) TX (page 4) TX (page 5) TX (page 6)
TX (page 7) TX (page 8) TX (page 9) TX (page 10) TX (page 11) TX (page 12)

Main Signs Page