email: roadarch@outlook.com

Texas Signs (page 9)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Bowen's Grocery [gone]
Midland, TX
West Wind Motel
Midland, TX
Bowen's Grocery has been here since at least 1961. The store was still open in 2013 but appeared to be closed in 2016. The pylon part of the building collapsed in 2017. It seems unlikely that it will be rebuilt. For more, see this website.

The West Wind Motel was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Campbell's Drive-in
Mineola, TX
Henry Hotel
Mineola, TX
Beckham Hotel [gone]
Mineola, TX
Campbell's Drive-in was a convenience store. This sign is probably from the 1950s. Cabell's Dairy owned Minit Market stores which used a similar sign at that time. For more, see this website. [map]

The Henry Hotel was built in 1933. This sign may be from then. The bottom of it appears to have been struck by a passing truck. [map]

The Beckham Hotel sign was probably from the 1920s. The building is no longer used as a hotel. This photo is from 2011. In 2013, the sign was removed during the hotel's restoration. There are plans to restored and reinstall it. However, the sign was still missing in 2016. [map]

Mountaineer Lanes
Mineral Wells, TX
Cox Florist [gone]
Mineral Wells, TX
The Mountaineer Lanes sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Cox Florist sign was probably from at least the 1950s. The neon was only installed on one side since this sign was located on a one-way street. This photo is from 2011. The sign was still there in 2013. By 2018, the flower shop was going by a different name. The text panel was removed but the clock is still there. [map]

Palms Lounge
Mission, TX
Fontana Motor Hotel
Mission, TX
Alp Cafe
Mount Vernon, TX
Palms Lounge sign might be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The Fontana Motor Hotel is gone but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Alp Cafe sign has mysterious origins. It was not there in 2008. At that point, the pole held a Chevrolet sign for the business next door. The sign was there by 2012 but the building next to it was housing a taqueria. The building now houses the Cake Lady but the sign remains. It appears to be a vintage sign but it must have come from somewhere else. [map]

Masonic Lodge
Nacogdoches, TX
Church of Christ
Nacogdoches, TX
This Masonic Lodge sign features internally lit glass globes. The building was constructed in 1931 and this sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

The Church of Christ sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

B.J.'s Farms
Nacogdoches, TX
Mize Department Store
Nacogdoches, TX
B.J.'s Farms was a fruit and vegetable market. The sign remains although the building now houses the Nacogdoches Auction & Nacogdoches Antique Market since 2012. The farmer depicted on the sign must be Billy Jack Scarborough who owned B.J.'s. [map]

The Mize Department Store was established in 1925. The store moved to this location in 1961. These signs are probably from then. The store closed in 2007. The building now houses CBH Insurance Agency. The Mize signs on the front of the building have removed but the sign on the side of the building remains. [map]

Cow Talk Steak House
Navasota, TX
7-Eleven
New Boston, TX
Arlan's Market
New Braunfels, TX
The Cow Talk Steak House sign appears to be from the 1950s. The neon has been missing for many years. The restaurant is located next door to the Navasota Livestock Auction. [map]

This 7-Eleven sign is apparently the only one left of this type. I don't know of any others with "Associate Store" at the bottom. It is probably from the 1960s. However, since at least 2008, only this one panel remains. Since at least the 1970s, the company's signs have included a green border along the bottom. There are similar vintage signs in Tempe, AZ, San Jose, CA, and San Diego, CA. [map]

This Arlan's Market was built as a Handy Andy supermarket in 1951. The Arlan's chain has only been around since 1991. The Handy Andy pylon sign had plastic letters, not neon. For more, see this website. [map]

Newton Signs:
GE Appliances

Pinkie's Liquor
San Angelo, TX
Pinkie's Liquor & Rock Hill Shopping Center
Odessa, TX
Pinkie's Liquor was founded in 1934 and now has over 15 locations in Texas. I believe this sign is from the early 1950s. [map]

The second Pinkie's Liquor store and sign are located in the Rock Hill Shopping Center. This tower sign originally advertised for the shopping center. It was built sometime between 1955 and 1960. The letters on the sign spelled out "Rock Hill". In the 1980s, the sign began advertising for "Cloth World," the center's main tenant. There have been no letters on the sign since at least the late 1990s. In 2017, the City held a competition for the tower sign's redesign. The steel frame will contain a lighted element and is expected to be completed in 2020. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Lassa Optical Co.
Odessa, TX
Johnny's Barbecue
Odessa, TX
Rock Hill Village
Odessa, TX
Lassa Optical Co. has been here since at least the early 1960s. Before that, the store housed Texas State Optical and the sign had the letters "TSO." The lettering behind the neon eyeglasses has faded. It read "Glasses" and "Contact Lenses". [map]

Johnny's Barbecue opened in 1951. This sign is probably from then. [map]

The Rock Hill Village shopping center was built in 1958. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

Abbott Building Company
Odessa, TX
National
Supply Co.
Odessa, TX
Sherwood
Shopping Center
Odessa, TX
Good Housekeeping Shop [gone]
Odessa, TX
The Abbott Building Company was founded in Midland, TX in 1954 as H.E. Abbott and Sons. In 1971, the name was changed to Abbott Building Company. This sign might be from then. [map]

The National Supply Co. produced oil drilling equipment. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Sherwood Shopping Center sign is probably from the 1960s. [map]

The Good Housekeeping Shop closed sometime after this photo was taken in 2008. By 2012, the signs were gone.

Western Drug
Package Store
Odessa, TX
House of Carpets
Odessa, TX
The Western Drug Package Store sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

I believe the House of Carpets opened in 1967. By 2013, the store was gone. The sign on the building is gone but the pole sign is still there. [map]

Westerner Motel
Odessa, TX
2012: 2017:
The Westerner Motel sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. Sometime between 2013 and 2016, the "Color TV" sign was removed and the readerboard was replaced with a plastic panel. [map]

More Odessa Signs:
Greyhound
Southern Maid Donuts

TX (page 1) TX (page 2) TX (page 3) TX (page 4) TX (page 5) TX (page 6)
TX (page 7) TX (page 8) TX (page 10) TX (page 11) TX (page 12)
Austin Dallas Fort Worth El Paso Houston San Antonio

Main Signs Page