email: roadarch@outlook.com

Texas Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Sands Motel
Bovina, TX
Thurmon Furniture
Breckenridge, TX
The Sands Motel is long closed but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1950s. The sign had neon originally and may have had a wrap-around bulb arrow. [map]

Thurmon Furniture was established in 1946 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

Brenham:
Schleider Furniture [map]

Underwood's Cafeteria
Brownwood, TX
Underwood's Cafeteria's history can be dated back to the 1930s when M.E. Underwood sold Bar-B-Q door-to-door in Brady, TX. In the 1940s, the family moved to Brownwood and opened their first Bar-B-Q stand. Other stands in West Texas followed. The first cafeteria was opened in Lubbock, TX in 1949. By the 1950s, there were more than 30 Underwood's locations. The cafeteria in Brownwood was built from 1974-1975. All of the other locations are gone now. The first sign on the left appears to be from the 1950s. There was a similar sign at the Amarillo, TX location. The plastic sign in the middle might be from the 1960s. The billboard sign on the west side of town is probably from later. For more, see this website. [map]

La Salle Hotel
Bryan, TX
Howell & Co.
Wholesale
Grocers
Bryan, TX
Holiday Plaza Motel
Bryan, TX
The La Salle Hotel was built in 1928. This sign appears to be from the 1930s or 1940s. The hotel was restored in 2000 and the sign was probably restored at that time. For more, see this website. [map]

Howell & Co. Wholesale Grocers is long gone. This sign appears to be from the 1920s. Originally, it probably had neon and/or opal glass letters. The die cut letters suggest it may have been lit internally. [map]

The Holiday Plaza Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

More Bryan:
Longhorn Tavern Steak House [map]

Country Inn Motel
Campbell, TX
Best Western sign
Canutillo, TX
The Country Inn Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

This former Best Western sign is installed next to a fireworks stand. For more, see this website. [map]

Carl's Corner [gone]
Carl's Corner, TX
This sign advertised for the Carl's Corner truck stop which is gone now. The town was named after the truck stop's owner. This sign was built in 1985. It was 150 feet long and represented a cattle truck. The sculptural billboard was made from aluminum farm gates, telephone poles and truck tires. This photo is from 2011. Parts of the sign were still there in 2013 but, by 2015, it was gone. For more, see this website.

J's Liquor
Childress, TX
First Baptist Church
Cisco, TX
J's Liquor has an unusual trellis style sign. My guess is that this one is from the 1960s. [map]

The First Baptist Church sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Western Skies
Motel [gone]
Clarendon, TX
Colorado Drugs
Colorado City, TX
Wood's Boots
Colorado City, TX
The Western Skies Motel is still in operation. However, this sign was replaced with a smaller, plastic box sign. This photo was taken in 2006. The sign was probably built in the 1950s.

The Colorado Drugs sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. These Walgreen Agency signs were mass-produced. This one is now missing its neon. [map]

Wood's Boots opened in downtown Colorado City in 1965. The store moved to this location in 1971. This sign might have been moved here from the original location. [map]

Coleman:
Owl Drug [gone]
Price Paint & Body Works [gone]

Baker Motel
Columbus, TX
Snapka's Drive Inn
Corpus Christi, TX
J.M. Dyer's
Department
Store
Corsicana, TX
Roy's Cafe
Corsicana, TX
Tatum Air Conditioning
Corsicana, TX
The Baker Motel was built in 1946 and this sign is probably from then. An oil derrick has apparently been repurposed as a supporting pole. The motel is no longer open. [map]

Snapka's Drive Inn opened in 1953 and this sign appears to be from then. [map]

J.M. Dyer's Department Store is gone but this sign remains. The building was constructed in 1935 and this sign might be from then. [map]

Roy's Cafe started in 1928 as the City Cafe. The City Cafe moved to the current location in 1932. In 1936, it became Sue's Cafe. The name was changed to Roy's Cafe in 1941. This sign may be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

Tatum Air Conditioning has an embossed, plastic Carrier sign. These signs were mass-produced but there are only a handful left around the country. [map]

Bill's Fried Chicken
Corsicana, TX
Crandall Cotton Gin
Crandall, TX
Bill's Fried Chicken has been around since at least the 1970s. The restaurant moved to this location around 2007. This sign is attached to a modern sign pole with a plastic box sign. The neon sign was not displayed at the old location. It probably came from somewhere else. [map]

The Crandall Cotton Gin building housed a cotton gin until 1986. It reopened as a restaurant around 1996. This sign appears to be from then. The building was badly damaged in a fire in 2014. The building was demolished in 2017 but the sign is still there. [map]

Arnold Cotton Co. [gone]
Crockett, TX
Fair
Department Store
Cuero, TX
Eighter from
Decatur Apartments [gone]
Decatur, TX
The Arnold Cotton Co. storefront had been vacant for years but this sign remained. This photo is from 2011. The sign was removed around 2014. The sign was probably from the 1950s or earlier.

I believe this Fair Department Store was part of a Texas chain. The sign has either been completely refurbished or is a replica. [map]

The Eighter from Decatur Apartments must have been a motel originally. This photo is from 2011. The sign was gone by 2012.

More Cuero Signs:
Frers Jewelers [gone]

Eighter from Decatur Motel
Decatur, TX
Howdy Doody
Drive-in Grocery
Denton, TX
Logan's Shoe Shop
Denton, TX
The Eighter from Decatur Motel was located northwest of town. The sign was probably built in the 1950s. It later became the Eighter from Decatur Apartments and the bottom part of the sign was repainted. The sign was removed by 2012. In 2016, the sign was put on display downtown, in some rocks next to a parking lot. The phrase "Eighter from Decatur" refers to shooting eight with dice in the game of craps. It has long been a source of pride to Decatur and the dice and phrase are used on the city's welcome signs. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Howdy Doody Drive-in Grocery which had at least 15 locations in town at one point. This is the company's only vintage sign as far as I know. [map]

Logan's Shoe Shop has been here since the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

E-Z Chek #4
Denton, TX
Morrison's Corn-Kits
Denton, TX
E-Z Chek #4 was originally part of a local grocery store chain. I believe this is the only sign like this left. The E-Z Chek #7 sign is gone now. For more, see this website. [map]

The Morrison Milling Company was established in 1886. In the 1960s, the mill began producing Morrison's Corn-Kits, a cornbread mix. This much older looking sign must have been updated at that time. At night, the neon letters changed from Corn-Kits, Pan-Kits, and Bis-Kits. The company is considering replacing the neon with LED lighting. [map]

Greer's Western Store
Eastland, TX
Greer's Western Store started out as a boot and shoe repair business in 1935 in Ranger, TX. The business was moved to Eastland in 1981 and operated as Greer's Department Store. The store has been at its current location since 1998. The sign looks like it might be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Doc's Drugstore
Eastland, TX
Doc's Drugstore opened in 2016. This sign is an adapted vintage sign, most likely from the 1940s or 1950s. The sign read "Nap's Drug Store" when it was located in Breckenridge, TX. [map]

Van de Kamp's
Bakery
Forney, TX
BPAA
Forney, TX
Buick
Fredericksburg, TX
Friendswood Hardware
Friendswood, TX
These Van de Kamp's Bakery and BPAA signs are located at De Ridder Antiques. These Van de Kamp's signs were mass-produced but are rare now. The blades on the windmills spun. The BPAA was established in 1932 and is still around. The organization uses a different logo now. [map]

This Buick sign hangs in front of the former Crenwelge Buick Olds dealership. The space is now occupied by Red in Fred, a home furnishings store. [map]

Friendswood Hardware was established in 1972. This sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Purity Ice Cream
Galveston, TX
Galveston Electric Company
Galveston, TX
The Purity Ice Cream Company was established in Galveston in 1889. The company is long gone but this sign remains. [map]

The Galveston Electric Company building was built in 1926. It was home to CenterPoint Energy until 2003 and then converted into loft space in 2005. The neon sign was restored at that time. [map]

Star Drug Store
Galveston, TX
The Star Drug Store, founded in 1906, claims to be the oldest drug store in Texas. The porcelain and neon Coca-Cola sign was restored sometime after 2001. For more, see this website. [map]

More Galveston:
Mangel's [map]

TX (page 1) TX (page 3) TX (page 4) TX (page 5) TX (page 6) TX (page 7)
Austin Dallas Fort Worth El Paso Houston San Antonio

Main Signs Page