email: roadarch@outlook.com

Texas Signs (page 5)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Van de Kamp's
Bakery
Forney, TX
BPAA
Forney, TX
Buick
Fredericksburg, TX
Friendswood Hardware
Friendswood, TX
These Van de Kamp's Bakery and BPAA signs are located at De Ridder Antiques. These Van de Kamp's signs were mass-produced but are rare now. The blades on the windmills spun. The BPAA was established in 1932 and is still around. The organization uses a different logo now. [map]

This Buick sign hangs in front of the former Crenwelge Buick Olds dealership. The space is now occupied by Becker Vineyards. [map]

Friendswood Hardware was established in 1972. This sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Purity Ice Cream
Galveston, TX
Galveston Electric Company
Galveston, TX
The Purity Ice Cream Company was established in Galveston in 1889. The company is long gone but this sign remains. [map]

The Galveston Electric Company building was built in 1926. It was home to CenterPoint Energy until 2003 and then converted into loft space in 2005. The neon sign was restored at that time. [map]

Star Drug Store
Galveston, TX
The Star Drug Store, founded in 1906, claims to be the oldest drug store in Texas. The porcelain and neon Coca-Cola sign was restored sometime after 2001. For more, see this website. [map]

More Galveston Signs:
Elks Lodge
Mangel's [map]

Garland
Flower Shop
Garland, TX
Garland Shopping Center
Garland, TX
Beef House
Garland, TX
Ridgewood Shopping Center
Garland, TX
The Garland Flower Shop opened around 1946. This sign may be from then or the 1950s. The store is gone now but the sign remains. [map]

The Garland Shopping Center was built in 1952. The buildings have been demolished but this sign remains. New stores were built on the property and Walmart agreed to maintain this sign. It was restored and relit in 2015. [map]

The Beef House restaurant has been here since at least the 1990s. The sign has obviously been adapted. The restaurant may have opened as the Koffee Kup and later housed the Blackhawk Restaurant. However, I don't know when this sign was built or for which business. [map]

The Ridgewood Shopping Center was built in the 1960s. [map]

Halamicek Auto Supply
Gonzales, TX
Pitcock
Oil & Gas
Graham, TX
Doyle Agency
Granbury, TX
The Halamicek Auto Supply sign hangs above Edwards Furniture. [map]

Pitcock Oil & Gas is still in business. The sign's clock and thermometer no longer work. [map]

The Doyle Agency was established in 1899. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. [map]

Party Times Strip
Grand Prairie, TX
2011: 2017:

Hi Ho Ballroom
Grand Prairie, TX

2011:

2017:

Ritz Starlite Room
Grand Prairie, TX

2011:

2017:
The Party Times Strip sign appears to be from the late 1950s or early to mid-1960s. There were five Sputnik-style signs on top of the sign in 2006. In 2017, the panels were replaced. The neon sign with the two dancers was removed. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hi Ho Ballroom shares the parking lot with Party Times Strip. The Ballroom was still open in 2007 but closed by 2011. These signs appear to be from the 1950s and/or 1960s. By 2017, the Danceland sign disks had been removed from the roof. The backlit Hi Ho letter panels had been replaced with white ones. For more, see this website. [map]

The Ritz Starlite Room is located next door to the Party Times Strip. The signs appear to be from the 1950s. The signs have been adapted for a Chinese restaurant. The remaining star on the rooftop sign is gone. The partial neon guitar player tubing remains intact. The Garzas pole sign is still there but missing some lettering. [map]

Lone Star
Gas Company
Grand Prairie, TX
Trade Winds Motel
Grand Prairie, TX
Robinson Insurance
Grand Prairie, TX
Golden Chalet Motor Inn
Grand Prairie, TX
The Lone Star Gas Company opened here in 1962 and this flame-shaped sign was installed on the roof then. The company moved in 2000 but the sign remains. It is about two feet tall and revolved on an eight foot tall column. The Housing and Neighborhood Services Department had the sign restored when it moved into the space. [map]

The Trade Winds Motel was built around 1955. This sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Robinson Insurance was established in 1985. This sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. It must have been adapted from a previous business. [map]

The Golden Chalet Motor Inn sign is probably from the 1960s. The top "Motor" panel was originally corrugated gold plastic panel like the "Inn" panel. [map]

Prairie Dog Drive In
Grand Prairie, TX
Grand Prairie Insurance Agency
Grand Prairie, TX
The Prairie Dog Drive In has been open since at least 1957. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. It was built by the Zimmerman Sign Company. The neon has been broken for many years. The panels are about six feet wide. [map]

The Grand Prairie Insurance Agency is long gone but this sign remains. It was probably built in the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

B-C Furniture
Grand Prairie, TX
2011: 2017:
The B-C Furniture store now houses Tom Snodgrass Furniture but this sign remains. It was probably built in the 1950s. Around 2015, the "Carpets" panel was painted over. [map]

More Grand Prairie Signs:
Theo's Drive-in

TX (page 1) TX (page 2) TX (page 3) TX (page 4) TX (page 6) TX (page 7)
TX (page 8) TX (page 9) TX (page 10) TX (page 11) TX (page 12)
Austin Dallas Fort Worth El Paso Houston San Antonio

Main Signs Page