email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

San Antonio Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Little Red Barn
Steakhouse
San Antonio, TX
Plaza Del Rey Ballroom
& Bingo Hall
San Antonio, TX
DeWese's Tip Top Cafe
San Antonio, TX
The Little Red Barn Steakhouse opened in 1963. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

The Plaza Del Rey Ballroom & Bingo Hall sign might be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

DeWese's Tip Top Cafe opened in 1938. For more, see this website. [map]

Hopp's Audio
Video Appliances
San Antonio, TX
Art's Atlas Muffler Shop
San Antonio, TX
Red McCombs Auto Group
San Antonio, TX
This Hopp's Audio Video Appliances store now houses Appliances Plus. These neon Frigidaire signs were mass-produced. [map]

Art's Atlas Muffler Shop features a muffler-shaped sign. [map]

Red McCombs Auto Group was established in 1958. This sign is probably from then. [map]

Fitch Insurance
San Antonio, TX
Nagel's Gun Shop
San Antonio, TX
Fitch Insurance was established in 1915. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

Nagel's Gun Shop opened in 1942. The neon on this sign appears to be intact. [map]

Judson's
Candy Factory
San Antonio, TX
Family Life
Christian Center
San Antonio, TX
Hung Fong
Chinese Restaurant
San Antonio, TX
Tai Sun Chinese Restaurant [gone]
San Antonio, TX
The former Judson's Candy Factory building was converted into lofts in 2008. This photo is from 2011. I don't know if this is a refurbished or replica sign. For more, see this website. [map]

The Family Life Christian Center rooftop sign may have advertised originally for Sheh's Pharmacy. [map]

The Hung Fong Chinese Restaurant opened in 1939. For more, see this website. [map]

The Tai Sun Chinese Restaurant supposedly opened in 1998. This sign looks much older than that. Perhaps the lettering was changed from a previous business. This photo is from 2008. By 2013, the neon was gone and the sign had new plastic panels. [map]

Seyara Motor Co.
San Antonio, TX
Ranch Motel
San Antonio, TX
J. Ross Boles
San Antonio, TX
Masonic Lodge
San Antonio, TX
Tong's Thai
Restaurant
San Antonio, TX
The Seyara Motor Co. used car lot sign has been updated many times over the years. Does anyone know what the original name was? This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Ranch Motel opened in 1948 and is still in operation. This sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

J. Ross Boles was established in 1929. This sign is probably from the 1950s or so. The store relocated long ago but this sign remains on the lot. [map]

These Masonic Lodge signs appear to be from the 1950s. [map]

Tong's Thai Restaurant opened in 2004. This sign has obviously been adapted from a previous business. Does anyone know what was here originally? This photo is from 2011. By 2016, the sign's neon was gone and the rectangular panels had been replaced with digital message boards. [map]

Central Boot &
Shoe Repair Co. [gone]
San Antonio, TX
Owl Cleaners
San Antonio, TX
Robert E. Lee Hotel
San Antonio, TX
Ever Kleen Motel
San Antonio, TX
The Central Boot & Shoe Repair Co. was established in 1914. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. Around 2014, the store became San Antonio Shoe & Luggage Repair and the sign was removed. It was replaced with a plastic box sign.

The Owl Cleaners building now houses Laura's Dry Cleaning but this sign remains. [map]

The Robert E. Lee Hotel opened in 1928. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Neon signs were installed on the roof in 1932. They were replaced in 1944 by the Salvation Army which occupied the building at that time. I suspect that these signs are replicas of the originals and were installed when the building was renovated as apartments in the mid-1990s. [map]

The Ever Kleen Motel sign was probably built in the 1940s. This photo is from 2011. By 2016, the sign had been repainted and the neon was removed. For more, see this website. [map]

Casa Rio Mexican Food
San Antonio, TX
Acme Lumber Co. [gone]
San Antonio, TX
The Casa Rio Mexican Food restaurant opened in 1946. For more, see this website. [map]

The Acme Lumber Co. was established in 1944. This store closed in 2008. The sign was still there in 2011 when this photo was taken. By 2013, the neon letters had been removed and the panels had been painted white.

Alamo Music Center
San Antonio, TX
The Alamo Music Center was established in 1927. These signs appear to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

County Line BBQ
San Antonio, TX
Gringo's Kitchen (now Nicha's Comida Mexicana)
San Antonio, TX
The first County Line BBQ restaurant opened in Austin in 1975. There are now nine locations. There are a couple smaller but similar signs in Austin but this is the biggest sign in the chain. This sign was designed by Evan Voyles of Neon Jungle in Austin. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Gringo's Mexican Kitchen was established in 1993 in Pearland, TX. There are now nine locations in the Houston area. This location closed sometime after 2006 when this photo was taken. By 2011, second photo, the sign had been adapted by Nicha's Comida Mexicana. The Gringo's sign was inspired by the Welcome sign in Las Vegas. [map]

Cavender's Boot City
San Antonio, TX
Cavender's Boot City was established in 1965. There are now about 50 locations, mostly in Texas, selling boots and Western style clothing. This appears to be a modern sign. The design may have been inspired by Bonanza Homes signs. There is a similar Cavender's sign in Conroe, TX. For more, see this website. [map]

More San Antonio:
Morris Apartment Hotel [map]

TX (page 1) TX (page 2) TX (page 3) TX (page 4) TX (page 5) TX (page 6) TX (page 7)
Austin Dallas Fort Worth El Paso Houston

Main Signs Page