email: roadarch@outlook.com

Texas Signs (page 10)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Reliable Cleaners
Orange, TX
The Reliable Cleaners sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. From 2012-2013, the neon was removed and the sign was repainted. This photo is from 2018. For more, see this website. [map]

City Shoe Shop
Palestine, TX
L&L
Shoe Store
Palestine, TX
Tex-Ann Motel
Palestine, TX
The City Shoe Shop sign was recently restored by an auto body shop in town. The sign was purchased in the 1950s from another shoe store and reworked at that time. The City Shoe Shop opened in 1943 and is still in business. [map]

The L&L Shoe Store sign was adapted in the 1950s. The letters underneath the L&L panel read "PAL" for the Pal Theatre. For more, see this website. [map]

The Tex-Ann Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. This motel is still open. For more, see this website. [map]

Johnnie Herrington Insurance
Palestine, TX
2011: 2018:
Johnnie Herrington Insurance opened here in 1946. This sign was probably built then or in the 1950s. Around 2016, the sign was apparently replicated. For more, see this website. [map]

Palo Pinto Cafe [gone]
Palo Pinto, TX
Paris Lanes
Paris, TX
W.M. House
Jewelry [gone]
Paris, TX
Tropic Restaurant
Paris, TX
E-Z 1 Food Store
Pasadena, TX
The Palo Pinto Cafe was still in business when this photo was taken in 2011. The neon on this sign, including the freestanding tree, appeared to be intact. By 2012, the cafe had closed and the sign was gone. The sign was last seen, only briefly, in 2018 in an antiques store in Weatherford, TX.

The Paris Lanes sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The W.M. House Jewelry sign appeared to be from the 1950s. This photo is from 2011. By 2013, the sign was gone.

I believe the Tropic Restaurant has been around since at least 1959. However, this sign looks like a replacement or it's been refurbished. For more, see this website. [map]

This E-Z 1 Food Store was apparently part of a Houston-area chain. There is another sign like this in Pasadena. A couple of other locations are still in operation but no longer have these signs. The design must have been inspired by 7-Eleven signs. They were probably built in the 1970s. [map]

Jewell Boot
& Shoe Repair
Perryton, TX
Stovall Radiator
Service [gone]
Plainview, TX
Airport Motel [gone]
Plainview, TX
Keyhole Club [gone]
Port Arthur, TX
Jewell Boot & Shoe Repair is gone but this sign remains. [map]

The Stovall Radiator Service sign was probably from the 1950s. From the faded paint, it appeared that the business had another name before this. This photo is from 2012. It was stil there in 2013 but, by 2018, the sign was gone.

The Airport Motel sign was probably built in the 1950s. The neon had been missing since at least the 1970s. The propeller might have been animated. This photo is from 2012. The sign was still there in 2013. By 2018, the sign had been removed and is now displayed at the Jack Sisemore Traveland RV Museum in Amarillo, TX.

The Keyhole Klub was long gone but this sign was still there when this photo was taken in 2011. The sign was gone by 2013.

Towner Motel
Quitman, TX
Shoemaker Shoe Service
Richardson, TX
The Towner Motel is still open. This sign is probably from the 1950s or early 1960s. [map]

The Shoemaker Shoe Service sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The rooftop sign advertises for the shoe repair and two other businesses in the small shopping center. It must have revolved originally. For more, see this website. [map]

More Richardson Signs:
Pizza Villa [gone]

Larry's Mexican Restaurant
Richmond, TX
Larry's Mexican Restaurant opened in 1960. The owner was inspired by his friend's Felix Mexican Restaurant in Houston and worked with him to open this place. There was an identical sign at Felix's. [map]

2-M's Malt N Burger Mart
Rosenberg, TX
Guy L. McNutt Insurance
Rosenberg, TX
Cameras Unlimited
Rosenberg, TX
The 2-M's Malt N Burger Mart opened in 1963 and this sign is from then. Malt N Burger seems to have been a regional chain with locations in Texas and Louisiana. However, I believe this sign is unique or the only one left. For more, see this website. [map]

The Guy L. McNutt Insurance sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The Cameras Unlimited sign originally advertised for Wilson's Pharmacy. The top part read "Wilson's" while the panel below read "Pharmacy". The sign has been around since at least 1970. Sometime between 2006 and 2011, the first and second photos above, the sign was updated again for Turrentine's Custom Framing. By 2017, those panels had been painted white. [map]

Herfort Diamond Ring Factory
Rosenberg, TX
The Herfort Diamond Ring Factory was established around 1950. This entrance appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Texas Grill (now Herradura Restaurant)
Rosenberg, TX
2006: 2007: 2018:
The Texas Grill sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. Around 2007, the porcelain enamel was covered up to reflect a name change to the Herradura Restaurant. The horse and rider were left untouched. For more, see this website. [night photo thanks Exquisitely Bored in Nacogdoches] [map]

Schulze's Bar-B-Que
Rosenberg, TX
Schulze's Bar-B-Que opened in 1977 and this sign must be from then. [map]

Cothron's Safe & Lock
Round Rock, TX
Cothron's Safe & Lock was established in 1948. This Round Rock sign was apparently replaced with one closer to the ground by 2013. Cothron's has three other locations in the Austin area. The Cothron's sign at this Austin location has been repurposed for a couple of restaurants. [map]

Rusk Signs:
Pitt Grill [gone]

TX (page 1) TX (page 2) TX (page 3) TX (page 4) TX (page 5) TX (page 6)
TX (page 7) TX (page 8) TX (page 9) TX (page 11) TX (page 12)
Austin Dallas Fort Worth El Paso Houston San Antonio

Main Signs Page