email: roadarch@outlook.com

Austin Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Nutty Brown Cafe
Austin, TX
Continental Club
Austin, TX
El Patio Restaurant
Austin, TX
The Nutty Brown Cafe sign was built in the 1950s for the Nutty Brown Candy Company which was originally located here. The text inside the lariat originally read "Pralines". The sign was restored and adapted in the late 1990s for the cafe. The place is now known as the Nutty Brown Cafe & Amphitheatre. There are plans to move to a new location in 2019. [map]

The Continental Club opened in 1957 as a supper club. In the 1960s, it became a burlesque club. It the late 1970s, it resumed featuring musical acts. In 2000, a second location was opened in Houston. A replica sign was installed there. For more, see this website. [map]

The El Patio Restaurant opened in 1954 and this sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Frisco Shop
Austin, TX
Joe Koen & Son Jewelers
Austin, TX
Scottish Rite Temple
Austin, TX
Violet Crown Shopping Center
Austin, TX
The Frisco Shop opened in 1953 and this sign is probably from then. The Frisco Shop was once part of the Nighthawk restaurant chain. This sign was restored around 2008 when the restaurant moved to this location. The Nighthawk sign is installed on the building near the entrance. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Joe Koen & Son Jewelers was established in 1883. The company moved to this location in 1972 and must have brought along this pre-1950s sign. [map]

The Scottish Rite Temple was built in 1871-1872 as an opera house. The building has housed the Temple since 1914. This sign is probably from the 1950s or so. The neon is now missing. [map]

The Violet Crown Shopping Center was built around 1952. This sign is probaby from then. [map]

Favorite Liquor & Wine
Austin, TX
The Favorite Liquor & Wine store opened as Harry's Liquor in 1939 with this pole sign. The "beer", "wine" and "favorite" panels were added in the 1960s or 1970s. The sign was restored in 2012. These photos are from 2018. For more, see this website. [map]

W.O. Harper Plumbing [gone]
Austin, TX
Sandy's Frozen Custard
Austin, TX
Miller
Blueprint Co. [gone]
Austin, TX
W.O. Harper Plumbing was established in 1921. This car sign was installed on top of a plastic box sign. I believe this sign had been there since at least the 1960s and was probably older than that. Harper Plumbing used this style of truck for many years. This photo is from 2011. The sign was still there in 2014. but was gone by 2015. For more, see this website.

Sandy's Frozen Custard, aka Sandy's Hamburgers, opened in 1947. Around 2006, the original sign was hit by a car and badly damaged. It was replaced with this replica. For more, see this website. [map]

The Miller Blueprint Co. opened here in 1920. This sign was built by Evan Voyles of Neon Jungle in 2001. The design was based on a photo of the 1940s sign at Miller's original location. The lower part of the sign was added later. In 2015, the company moved to a new location. This sign was removed and I don't believe this sign is displayed at the new place. For more, see this website.

former Grove Drug Store
Austin, TX
2011: 2018:
The Grove Drug Store occupied this building from 1933 until the early 1980s. The Morley Brothers drug store preceded that as the original occupants in 1874. The sign was probably built in the 1940s or 1950s. It had been installed by 1956. The vertical panel read "Drugs." In 2000, the drug store was converted into Austin's Visitor Information Center. The neon sign was adapted with coverup panels to reflect the new use. In 2014, the sign was covered over again for the space's new tenant, Wild About Music. By 2016, the sign was back to reading "Visitors Information Center." Around 2018, the sign was reworked to read the "Grove Building." The two neon arrows that wrapped around the bottom of the sign are gone now. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Kruger's Diamond Jewelers
Austin, TX
Kruger's Diamond Jewelers was established in 1906 and opened here in 1939. The signs appear to be from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Nau's Enfield Drug
Austin, TX
Anthony's Laundry & Dry Cleaners
Austin, TX
Nau's Enfield Drug opened here in 1951. This sign was restored in 2009 by Evan Voyles of Neon Jungle. It was repainted in the original color scheme. Voyles added animation to the mortar and pestle which was not part of the original design. The sign looked like this in 2006. The panel with the mortar and pestle has been adapted and painted over from an earlier design or another business. Raised letters reading "ICE CREAM" are visible at the bottom and there appears to be a checkmark above them. For more, see this website. [map]

Anthony's Laundry & Dry Cleaners opened in 1951. The laundry basket sign was moved to the back of the building when the text sign was built around the late 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Don-Mar
Motor Court [gone]
Austin, TX
St. Elmo-Tel [gone]
Austin, TX
PN Liquor [gone]
Austin, TX
Quality Seafood Market
Austin, TX
The Don-Mar Motor Court was built in 1935. It was named after the owners, Don and Mary Roberts. This sign is probably from then. The motel was demolished in 2008. This sign was still there when this photo was taken in 2011. The sign was removed around 2012.

The St. Elmo-Tel was built in 1940. The motel was demolished in 2006 but this sign was still there in 2014. This photo is from 2011. By 2015, the sign was gone. It is believed to be in a private collection. The sign was originally just the blue porcelain enamel piece in the middle. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

PN Liquor opened around 1962. Around 2007, the business closed. By 2009, the sign was removed. It is now in a private collection.

The Quality Seafood Market was established in 1938. This sign is probably from the 1950s and/or 1960s. [map]

Ah Sing Den
Austin, TX
Horseshoe Lounge [gone]
Austin, TX
Long Horn Meat Co.
Austin, TX
Although the Ah Sing Den sign appears to be vintage, I'm pretty sure that it was created by Evan Voyles and installed around 2014 when the building housed the East Side Show Room. The cocktail glass and bubbles may have come from a vintage sign. In 2016, the building began housing Ah Sing Den and the sign was adapted. For more, see this website. [map]

The Horseshoe Lounge opened in 1965 and this sign appeared to be from then. In 2015, the bar announced that it was moving. The sign was to be moved and installed at the new location. However, the bar had not reopened in 2017 and the sign was gone. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Long Horn Meat Co. sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Austin
(page 2)
Austin
(page 3)
Dallas Fort Worth El Paso Houston San Antonio
TX (page 1) TX (page 2) TX (page 3) TX (page 4) TX (page 5) TX (page 6)
TX (page 7) TX (page 8) TX (page 9) TX (page 10) TX (page 11) TX (page 12)

Main Signs Page