California Signs (page 6)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Covered Wagon Motel
Buena Park, CA
2013: 2017:
The Covered Wagon Motel and sign have been around since the 1950s. This photo is from 2013. In 2017, the sign was remodeled for the Westward Wagon Inn. The sign was repainted and the neon was replaced with backlit plastic letters. For more, see this website.

Smoke House
Burbank, CA
The Smoke House was established in 1946. The restaurant moved to its current location in 1955. These signs are probably from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Sou's Shoe Repair
Burbank, CA
Safari Inn
Burbank, CA
The Sou's Shoe Repair sign is from 1947. It probably had neon originally. This photo is from 2013. By 2016, the sign had been painted black and now reads "Deluxe Repair." [map]

The Safari Inn was built in 1955 as the Safari Motor Hotel. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Lakeside Car Wash
Burbank, CA
The Lakeside Car Wash opened in 1956. I assume that the pole sign had neon originally. For more, see this website. [map]

Samuel's Florist
Burbank, CA (now Glendale, CA)
2013 and 2015: 2018:
Samuel's Florist was founded in 1937. The business moved to this location in 1956. The blade sign on the left is from then. The larger sign on the right is from 1959. It is 16 feet long. The signs were removed in 2017. The blade sign is in storage at the Museum of Neon Art's storage facility in Pomona, CA. That other sign and the "Drive-in" sign which was below the blade sign were restored and are now displayed at the Museum of Neon Art in Glendale, CA. The word "FLORIST" below the flower originally flashed between red and white. After complaints from the city, the flashing was turned off and the red and white remained static. The "Drive-in" arrow has bulbs around the border. The bulbs were removed and the holes were covered up. The museum has taken the covering off and restored the bulbs.

Baron Hats
Burbank, CA
Valley Rubber
Stamp Co. [gone]
Burbank, CA
Larry's Chili Dog
Burbank, CA
The Baron Hats sign is believed to be from 1942. In 2018, the store moved to Los Angeles and the sign was removed. The business is applying for a permit to display the sign at the new location. Worst case, the sign will be displayed inside.

The Valley Rubber Stamp Co. sign was built in 1946. This photo is from 2012. By 2015, the store had closed and the sign was gone. For more, see this website.

The Larry's Chili Dog pole sign features a neon Dachshund reclining in a bun. The dog's neon tail wags in two-part animation. This pole sign is about fifteen feet tall and was installed when this small walk-up stand opened in 1953. The wooden sign on the roof with the sitting hound dog was installed at the same time. Larry's Chili Dog originally sold just hot dogs and chili dogs. Over the years, the menu has expanded to include burgers, other sandwiches, and salads. [map]

Starlet Apartments
Burbank, CA
2008: 2013:
The Starlet Apartments were built in 1958. I don't know if this was originally a motel or always apartments. This sign was refurbished sometime after 2011. For more, see this website. [map]

Don's Restaurant and Coffee Shop
Burbank, CA
This Don's Restaurant and Coffee Shop sign is now installed inside the Gordon R. Howard Museum. The other panel is located at the Valley Relics Museum. The restaurant opened in 1947 as a drive-in with carhops. These signs may be from the 1950s. Don's closed in 2002.

More Burbank Signs:
Handy Market: 1, 2 [map]

Broadway-Burlingame Arch
Burlingame, CA
Burney Bowl
Burney, CA
Rex Club
Burney, CA
This Broadway-Burlingame Arch was built in 1922 for the Pacific City amusement park in San Mateo, CA. The neon letters originally read: "To Pacific City." The park closed in 1923. In 1927, the sign was moved here and the lettering was changed. [map]

The Burney Bowl was built in 1960. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

The Rex Club was built in 1938. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

More Burlingame Signs:
Preston's Candy & Ice Cream

More Burney Signs:
Liquor Store
Sleepy Hollow Motel

Border Motel
Calexico, CA
Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs
Calistoga, CA
The Border Motel might have been built in 1930. This sign appears to be from the late 1950s or 1960s. The arrow is animated. For more, see this website. [map]

Dr. Wilkinson's Hot Springs opened in 1952. I believe this sign was built then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Calexico Signs:
Hotel De Anza
J.C. Penney [gone]

El Tecolote Cafe
Camarillo, CA
PDG Auto Parts [gone]
Campbell, CA
The El Tecolote Cafe opened in Moorpark, CA in 1946. The restaurant moved to Camarillo in 1948. It then moved to this building in 1952. This sign is probably from then. [map]

PDG Auto Parts was operated by Paul Del Grande. He worked at this store in the late 1950s when it was known as Bev Arntzen Auto Supply. Around 1964, he bought the business and renamed it PDG Auto Parts. This sign is probably from the 1950s and it was most likely adapted when the name was changed. The store closed in 2013 and the building is still vacant. The sign was sold to a private collector in 2018. For more, see this website.

Ladin's Liquor Delicatessen [gone]
Canoga Park, CA
The Ladin's Liquor Delicatessen signs appeared to be from the 1950s. These photos are from 2012. By 2014, these signs had been replaced with plastic panels.

Canoga Park Bowl
(now Winnetka Bowl) [gone]
Canoga Park, CA
Green Thumb
Canoga Park, CA
La Casa del Sol Motel
Carpinteria, CA
The Canoga Park Bowl sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. This photo is from 2013. In 2014, the business became the Winnetka Bowl and the lettering at the top of the sign was changed. By 2018, the neon letters on both of the bowling alley signs were replaced with backlit plastic.

The Green Thumb Hardware sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The La Casa del Sol Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Alameda Albany -
Apple Valley
Arcadia -
Bakersfield Bay Point -
Beverly Hills
Big Bear Lake -
Catheys Valley -
Costa Mesa
Cotati -
El Centro
El Dorado -
Eureka -
Garden Grove
Fresno Gilroy -
Happy Camp
Hawthorne -
Hayward &
San Leandro
Lakewood -
Lodi -
Long Beach Los Angeles Madera -
Merced -
Morgan Hill -
Ontario -
Palo Alto
Pasadena -
Pico Rivera -
Porterville -
Redondo Beach
Redwood City -
Rio Vista -
Sacramento Salida -
San Bernardino
San Bruno -
San Luis Obispo
San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose San Mateo -
Santa Barbara
Santa Clara -
Santa Monica
Santa Paula -
St. Helena
Sun Valley -
Upland -
Victorville -
Woodland -
Yuba City
Museum of
Neon Art
Valley Relics Museum

Main Signs Page