email: roadarch@outlook.com

Sacramento Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Sam's Hof Brau [gone]
Sacramento, CA
Sam's Hof Brau was part of a chain of restaurants opened by Sam Gordon in the late 1950s. There were four locations built in the Sacramento area from 1955-1960. Later, other locations were built in Auburn, Oakland, Portland, and Los Angeles. This location opened in the 1950s and this chef sign was built in 1954 by EPCO. As far as I know, this sign was unique. However, there was a very similar sign that was located in Los Angeles which was installed in 1955.

This Sacramento location closed in 1993. The chef and cocktail signs remained when the space was occupied by Hamburger Mary's and then Hamburger Patties. In 2014, the chef sign was removed in 2014 and is now in a private collection. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4.

D.R. Woodard Cleaners
Sacramento, CA
Joe Marty's
Sacramento, CA
D.R. Woodard Cleaners was later named Woodard-Ficetti Cleaners. This sign was probably from the 1940s or 1950s. At some point, the sign fell during a storm and was replicated by Ellis & Ellis Sign Systems. The business closed around 2017 but the sign remains. It may be adapted for another business. The building was still vacant in 2021. For more, see this website. [map]

Joe Marty's opened in 1954 in the Tower Theatre Building. There was a major fire in 2005 and the bar has been closed since then. Since 2017, the space was housing Sampino's Kitchen at Joe Marty's. The sign remains and is lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Tower Drug
Sacramento, CA
This Tower Drug sign built by EPCO and installed in 1949 when the drug store began selling records. In 1960, the owner's son established the Tower Records store chain. The chain folded in 2006. The drug store closed in 1985. The space was then used by Tower Ice Cream and Deli. Since 1990, the space has housed the Tower Cafe. This sign remains in place. It was restored in the early 1990s. For more, see this website. [map]

Al Nielsen Tire
Sacramento, CA
This Al Nielsen Tire sign was built in 1951 by EPCO. The plastic box sign is obviously a later addition. One source says this was originally a Seiberling Tires dealer. So, this Big O sign might be covering up that text. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Luis
Mexican Food [gone]
Sacramento, CA
Luis Jr.'s
Mexican Food [gone]
Sacramento, CA
Saccani Distributing Co.
Sacramento, CA
Luis Mexican Food opened in 1965 and closed in 2004. The sign was still there in 2014. By 2015, the building and sign were gone.

Luis' son opened Luis Jr.'s Mexican Food in 2004. This modern sign was modeled somewhat after the one at his father's restaurant. Luis Jr.'s was closed when this photo was taken in 2008. The sign was gone by 2011. For more, see this website.

The Saccani Distributing Co. was established in 1933. These porcelain enamel Burgermeister signs have been located on the beer distributor's building since at least the 1950s. [map]

Mercury Cleaners
Sacramento, CA
2008: 2015:
The Mercury Cleaners dodged a bullet in 2014. The store's building was scheduled for demolition when contaminated soil and groundwater were discovered at the site. The cleaners seemed doomed to close forever. However, a group of lawyers and environmental consultants sprang into action and found a new space for the business across the street.

Mercury Cleaners opened in 1947 and it is believed that this sign is from then. Before the sign was moved to the new location and relit in June, it was completely restored. The $55,476 bill which included the installation cost was paid in full by CADA, the Capitol Area Development Authority. The organization and the Pacific Neon Company worked closely together to ensure the authenticity of the restoration. It was impossible to determine the original color of the sign's curved canopy. There were layers of green and baby blue paint under the most recent red color. The decision was made to use navy blue paint which was commonly used in the late 1940s. For the past 10 or 15 years, a plastic covering protected the canopy's neon. That was done away with during the restoration.

The components and construction style of the bulb filled arrow and winged disk seem to indicate that they were part of the sign's original design. Since the sign was designed for a one-way street, the arrow only had bulbs on the side facing oncoming traffic. Moving the sign across the street meant the bulbs would be on the wrong side. Therefore, during the restoration, bulbs were added to the other side of the sign as well. The arrow was also painted a brighter yellow. All of the sign's panels, including the hand-painted "Drapery" box under the canopy, were retained. The neon colors are believed to be original. The letters are coral while the canopy is outlined with blue. The arrow features yellow chasing bulbs. Although there is no evidence to support it, there is the possibility that the red disk might have originally depicted a Mercury dime. For more, see this website. [map]

Simon's Bar & Cafe
Sacramento, CA
Flame Club
Sacramento, CA
Simon's Bar & Cafe opened in 1984. This sign looks like it was built then in a vintage style. It was restored in 2005. For more, see this website. [map]

The Flame Club sign was built by EPCO in 1953. For more, see this website. [map]

Old Ironsides
Sacramento, CA
The Old Ironsides Nightclub, Restaurant and Bar was established in 1934. This sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Round Corner Bar
Sacramento, CA
Hilltop Tavern
Sacramento, CA
The Round Corner Bar sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. It was restored around 2005. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Hilltop Tavern sign was built around the late 1950s. It was restored around 2007. Before that, the plastic part of the sign had a textured background. For more, see this website. [map]

Town House (now Holy Diver)
Sacramento, CA
2008: 2014:
The Town House opened in the late 1950s and these signs were from then. In 2013, they were removed and recreated in the same style when the bar was renamed the Starlite. The Starlite closed in 2017. The sign has been reworked again for the Holy Diver. The sign is not painted black and there is no longer a cocktail glass. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Pine Cove Tavern
Sacramento, CA
The Pine Cove Tavern opened in 1953. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

Sacramento Sewing Machine Co. [gone]
Sacramento, CA
The Sacramento Sewing Machine Co. occupied this space by at least 1952. This sign was probably installed around that time. The store closed around 1996. Pfaff is a brand of sewing machines. At some point, the "Pfaff" panel was added to the sign, probably to cover up another brand name. In 2020, the building was demolished and the sign was gone. The projecting neon sign was saved by the Center for Sacramento History and is now in storage. I don't know if the panel on the building was saved.

Espanol Italian
Restaurant [gone]
Sacramento, CA
Formosa Cafe
Sacramento, CA
Torch Club
Sacramento, CA
The Espanol Italian Restaurant opened in 1923. Around 1952, the business relocated with a new owner. This sign is probably from then. The business moved again in 1965 and this sign was most likely moved with it. In 2021, the sign was removed and sold to a collector. For more, see this website.

The Formosa Cafe opened in 1934. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Torch Club opened in 1939. This sign is probably from the 1950s. In 2000, it was moved when the bar changed locations. [map]

Philipp's Bakery [gone]
Sacramento, CA
Freeport Market
Sacramento, CA
2008: 2019: 2016: 2020:
Philipp's Bakery opened in 1925 and closed in 2008. This sign was built around 1946. It was restored around 2004 and the "Bakery" portion used to flash at night. The sign was removed around 2011 and is now in storage at the Sacramento Center for History. The building's new tenant, Sherwin-Williams, had a new sign in the likeness of the original sign built. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map].

The Freeport Market sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. Around 2017, the neon was restored and plastic covers were put over the letters to protect the tubing. [map]

Freeport Bait
Sacramento, CA
The Freeport Bait sign was installed around 2016. It is clearly a vintage sign. I don't know where it was displayed originally. [map]

Sacramento
(page 2)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art
Valley Relics Museum Other
California

Main Signs Page