Bakersfield Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Rice Bowl Restaurant
Bakersfield, CA
Sinaloa Restaurant
Bakersfield, CA
The Rice Bowl Restaurant opened around 1947. The text part of the sign was probably neon originally. The rice bowl part looks like it had more neon and might have revolved. I don't know if this place was related to the Rice Bowl in Merced or if it was just a common name. [map]

The Sinaloa Restaurant opened in 1948. These signs appear to be from then. The restaurant closed in 2018. The sign on the left has been sold to a collector. The other sign may remain with the property. [map]

Mexicali Restaurant
Bakersfield, CA
The Mexicali Restaurant was established in 1939 as a hot dog and snow cone stand. The first restaurant was built in 1953. This location was built sometime after that. The neon signs may be from the 1950s. This first sign above appears is probably from the late 1950s or 1960s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Cay Health Foods [gone]
Bakersfield, CA
Shell sign
Bakersfield, CA
Sparkle Cleaners
Bakersfield, CA
Cay Health Foods opened in 1948. This sign was from the 1950s. This photo is from 2012. By 2015, the store and the sign were gone.

This plastic Shell sign is located at the Schwebel Petroleum Co. It is probably from the 1960s. [map]

Sparkle Cleaners was established in 1949. These signs are probably from the 1950s and/or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Trout's Nightclub [gone]
Bakersfield, CA
Tower Motel
Bakersfield, CA
Trout's Nightclub opened in Bakersfield in 1941. The bar moved across the street in 1945. This sign was probably from then or shortly thereafter. It originally had neon. In 2017, the sign was removed. It is not known where it went.

The Tower Motel signs are probably from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

Palms Liquor
Bakersfield, CA
Wool Grower's Restaurant
Bakersfield, CA
Orange Grove Mobile Home Park
Bakersfield, CA
The Palms Liquor sign might be from the 1950s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

The Wool Grower's Restaurant opened in 1954 at a different location. This sign is probably from then. It was repainted around 2011. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Orange Grove Mobile Home Park sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. The neon has been missing for decades. [map]

Lazo's Pool Parlor
Bakersfield, CA
The Lazo's Pool Parlor sign is probably from the 1950s. When the sign was lit, the pool stick flashed on and off. [map]

Ideal Cleaners
Bakersfield, CA
2008: 2013:
The Ideal Cleaners sign is probably from the 1950s. By 2013, the sign had been repainted and the neon removed.

Zingo's Cafe
Bakersfield, CA
Zingo's Cafe opened in 1965. The restaurant has two signs: one on a pole and the other on the roof. For more, see this website. [map]

Globe Loan Jewelry Company
Bakersfield, CA
The Globe Loan Jewelry Company opened in 1966 and these signs are probably from then. The main sign is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Milt's Coffee Shop
Bakersfield, CA
Mint Bar
Bakersfield, CA
Milt's Coffee Shop opened in 1964 and this sign is from then. It was originally located on the roof. Later, the sign was restored and installed on a pole in the parking lot for greater visibility from Highway 99. For more, see this website. [map]

The Mint Bar sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Guthrie's Alley Cat
Bakersfield, CA
Guthrie's Alley Cat opened as the Alley Cat cocktail lounge in 1941. The bar is located in an alley. Sometime after 1955, the business became Oscar's Alley Cat. In 1971, it was renamed Guthrie's Alley Cat. This three-foot tall black cat is part of a larger sign which is probably from the 1950s. It was definitely there by 1962. The cat's tail moves in circular, four-part animation. The cat's eyes are lit with yellow bulbs. The green neon surrounding them flashes on and off. For more, see this website. [map]

W.W. Harper Pools [gone]
Bakersfield, CA
W.W. Harper Pools was established in 1955 and this sign was probably from then. The business moved in 2016 and the sign was removed. It is in storage at the new location. It might be restored and installed there in the future.

Bakersfield Arch
Bakersfield, CA
The Bakersfield Arch sign was originally built in 1949. It served as a footbridge between the Bakersfield Inn's main building and its new addition. By the late 1990s, the sign was in bad shape and the motel had closed. The sign was rebuilt in 1999 at its current location next to the Buck Owens Crystal Palace. Only the original letters could be saved. The project was funded by Buck Owens. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Top's Fine Food Market
Bakersfield, CA
Bakersfield Inn Annex
Bakersfield, CA
Silver Fox
Bakersfield, CA
Saba's Men's Wear
Bakersfield, CA
Far East Cafe
Bakersfield, CA
Jim Baker Electrifier
Bakersfield, CA
O.B. Nuzum Tire Service
Bakersfield, CA
This collection of Bakersfield signs is on display at the Kern County Museum. There are two other signs which will be installed after they are restored: the Tejon Theatre sign and the UNOCAL sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

This Top's Fine Food Market sign was built around 1958.

Bakersfield Inn opened in 1929. This sign was built around 1948 when a new wing was built. At that time, the Bakersfield Arch sign (see above) connected the original building and the annex.

The Silver Fox sign was built in 1957 for Nita's Silver Fox Tavern. The sign is 15 feet tall and is still painted the original colors. The fox's tail wags in three-part animation. The sign was completely refurbished in 2009. The Silver Fox closed in 2010. For more, see this website.

Saba's Men's Wear was established in the 1930s. The original store was destroyed in an earthquake in 1952. This sign was built for the new store in 1953.

The Far East Cafe was built in 1942 for the Chinese Village Cafe. The sign was remodeled around 1951 for the Far East Cafe. The top part of the sign was added at that time. The restaurant closed in 2000. The sign was removed in 2007 and donated to the museum. It was missing most of the neon at that point but was completely restored before being put on display. For more, see this website.

Jim Baker Electrifier sign was built in 1946. The store closed in 2000.

The O.B. Nuzum Tire Service sign is probably from the 1950s. It was donated to the museum by the city of Bakersfield. It was removed from the tire store's roof in 2008. The sign was in bad shape at that point and was restored for the museum for about $5,000.

More Bakersfield Signs:
Andre's Drive-in
Green Frog Market (now Glendale, CA)
Padre Hotel
Seat Cover City [gone]

Alameda Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles Oakland
Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art
Valley Relics Museum Other

Main Signs Page