Bakersfield Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Milt's Coffee Shop
Bakersfield, CA
Mint Bar
Bakersfield, CA
Milt's Coffee Shop opened in 1964 and this sign is from then. The sign was designed by the owner, Milt Huggs. It was originally installed on the roof. Later, the sign was restored and installed on a pole in the parking lot for greater visibility from Highway 99. In 2023, the business became the Old River Grill. The sign was donated to the Kern County Museum (see below). For more, see this website.

The Mint Bar sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Guthrie's Alley Cat
Bakersfield, CA
Guthrie's Alley Cat opened as the Alley Cat cocktail lounge in 1941. The bar is located in an alley. Sometime after 1955, the business became Oscar's Alley Cat. In 1971, it was renamed Guthrie's Alley Cat. This three-foot tall black cat is part of a larger sign which is probably from the 1950s. It was definitely there by 1962. The cat's tail moves in circular, four-part animation. The cat's eyes are lit with yellow bulbs. The green neon surrounding them flashes on and off. For more, see this website. [map]

W.W. Harper Pools [gone]
Bakersfield, CA
Silver Fox
Bakersfield, CA
W.W. Harper Pools was established in 1955 and this sign was probably from then. The business moved in 2016 and the sign was removed. It is in storage at the new location. It might be restored and installed there in the future.

The Silver Fox sign was built in 1957 for Nita's Silver Fox Tavern. The Silver Fox closed in 2010 and the sign was moved to the Kern County Museum (see below). In 2020, the bar reopened and had this replica sign built. [map]

Kern County Museum
Bakersfield, CA
Top's Fine Food Market
2012: 2022:
Bakersfield Inn Annex Silver Fox
Saba's Men's Wear Far East Cafe Jim Baker Electrifier
O.B. Nuzum Tire Service
Floyd's Hardware
Sinaloa Restaurant Frank Amestoy's
Hoyett's Drive-in Howdy Folks G.N. Johnston Body Works
Vincent's Cyclery & Sporting Goods
Sherry's Liquor Store
This collection of Bakersfield signs is on display at Neon Plaza at the Kern County Museum. Two other signs will be installed after they are restored: the Tejon Theatre sign and the UNOCAL sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

This Top's Fine Food Market sign was built around 1958. The paint has faded quite a bit since it was installed at the museum.

Bakersfield Inn opened in 1929. This sign was built around 1948 when a new wing was built. At that time, the Bakersfield Arch sign (see above) connected the original building and the annex.

The Silver Fox sign was built in 1957. The sign is 15 feet tall and is still painted the original colors. The fox's tail wags in three-part animation. I don't know if it still does. The sign was completely refurbished in 2009. It was moved to the museum collection after the bar closed in 2010. The bar has reopened and has a replica sign now (see above). For more, see this website.

Saba's Men's Wear was established in the 1930s. The original store was destroyed in an earthquake in 1952. This sign was built for the new store in 1953.

The Far East Cafe was built in 1942 for the Chinese Village Cafe. The sign was remodeled around 1951 for the Far East Cafe. The top part of the sign was added at that time. The restaurant closed in 2000. The sign was removed in 2007 and donated to the museum. It was missing most of the neon at that point but was completely restored before being put on display. For more, see this website.

Jim Baker Electrifier sign was built in 1946. The store closed in 2000.

The O.B. Nuzum Tire Service sign is probably from the 1950s. It was donated to the museum by the city of Bakersfield. It was removed from the tire store's roof in 2008. The sign was in bad shape at that point and was restored for the museum for about $5,000.

The Floyd's Hardware sign might be from the 1950s.

The Sinaloa Restaurant sign is described at the previous page.

Frank Amestoy's bar and cafe opened in 1948 and this sign may be from then. The business closed in 2018 and the sign was removed in 2019. It was restored by the museum.

Hoyett's Drive-in opened in Wasco, CA in 1948. It was later known as Hoyett's Sandwich Shop. The business closed in 2020. This sign was restored by the museum. For more, see this website.

The Howdy Folks sign came from a Green Frog Market. There is larger and probably older Green Frog Market sign at the Museum of Neon Art in Glendale, CA.

The G.N. Johnston Body Works sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s.

Vincent's Cyclery & Sporting Goods opened in 1934. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. It was added to the museum's collection in 2020.

The Sherry's Liquor Store sign is probably from the 1950s.

In addition to the signs shown and described above, these signs are also on display in the Neon Plaza: Jolly Kone, Andre's Giant Burgers, and Shafter Rexall Drugs.

More Bakersfield:
Andre's Drive-in
Bakersfield Arch
Green Frog Market (now Glendale, CA)
Padre Hotel
Seat Cover City [gone]

(page 1)
Alameda Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles Oakland
Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art
Valley Relics Museum Other

Main Signs Page