email: roadarch@outlook.com

Alameda Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Alameda Shade Shop
Alameda, CA
The Alameda Shade Shop opened in 1948. This sign may be from then. [map]

John S. Towata Flowers
Alameda, CA
2008: 2014: 2020:
John S. Towata Flowers opened around 1945. This vitrolite-faced storefront was installed by 1948. The store closed in 2009. In 2011, the building housed the Flowers Clothing Co. It later housed Pixies & Peony, a furniture store and gift shop. By 2017, it was housing Vintiq. The missing vitrolite tiles were replaced with darker green tiles around 2018. The building is now vacant. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Fireside Lounge
Alameda, CA
The Fireside Lounge was established in 1942. This sign is from then. [map]

Farmers Insurance Group
Alameda, CA
This neon Farmers Insurance Group sign was mass-produced. This is the only one left on public display that I know of. The sign in Safford, AZ is gone now. There was one in San Bruno, CA which was removed in 2014. [map]

Masonic Temple
Alameda, CA
Eagles Hall
Alameda, CA
This Masonic Temple sign appears to be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Eagles Hall sign was installed in 1955. For more, see this website. [map]

Croll's Bar & Grill
Alameda, CA
Croll's Bar & Grill was established in 1883. Since 2011, the space has housed the 1400 Bar & Grill. These signs appear to be from the 1940s or earlier. The repainting is obviously modern. [map]

Encinal Shopping Center
Alameda, CA
This Van De Kamp's Bakery sign is installed next to the Encinal Shopping Center sign. These Van De Kamp's signs were mass-produced but are rare now. The windmill blades were motorized and spun around. There are other examples of these signs in the MONA (Museum of Neon Art) collection and in a private collection in Buellton, CA. The Encinal Shopping Center sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Gim's Chinese Kitchen
Alameda, CA
The Hideout
Alameda, CA
Golden Bridge Beverage
Alameda, CA
Gim's Chinese Kitchen opened in the early 1950s. This sign was installed in 1953. It has a Zeon Neon badge. [map]

The Hideout bar sign appears to be pre-1940s. [map]

This Golden Bridge Beverage sign is the sole survivor of 43 wall signs painted between 1923 and 1966. This one was painted by D.E. Handley in the 1940s. It was restored in 2007 by Michael McDonald. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hobnob
Alameda, CA
Pop Inn
Alameda, CA
Lincoln Market
Alameda, CA
Ole's Waffle Shop
Alameda, CA
The Hobnob sign was adapted from Kelly's. Does anyone know what was here originally and/or when this sign was installed? For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Pop Inn building has housed a bar since at least 1897. The Pop Inn sign was installed in 1935. For more, see this website. [map]

The Lincoln Market sign is from the 1950s or earlier. [map]

Ole's Waffle Shop opened in 1927. The signs were built by Electrical Products Corp. (EPCO) in 1945. For more, see this website. [map]

Providence Veterinary Hospital
Alameda, CA
Independent Order
of Odd Fellows
Alameda, CA
The Providence Veterinary Hospital opened in 1947. This sign may be from then or slightly after that. For more, see this website. [map]

This Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge sign was built and installed in 2016. [map]

More Alameda Signs:
Fort Knox
Larry's Shoe Repair
Stier's Drugs

Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles Oakland Sacramento
San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art
Valley Relics Museum Other
California

Main Signs Page