Clock Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Central Jewelers
Tifton, GA
2007: 2021:
Central Jewelers opened in 1953 and this sign was probably installed then. It originally had neon and bulbs. The non-functioning clock appears to be original and has a Bulova label. [map]

Stone Brothers
Jewelry [gone]
Alton, IL
Jewelers [gone]
Freeport, IL
Lee's Watch & Jewelry [gone]
Kokomo, IN
Stone Brothers Jewelry sign appeared to be from the late 1940s or 1950s. The company had many other locations at one time including at least seven of them in St. Louis, MO. This building had been vacant since around 2009. In 2019, Mac's on Third moved in. The Stone Brothers sign was removed and a new sign was installed. The Lumi-Dial clock from the Stone Brothers sign was sold at a Mecum auction in 2020.

Luecke Jewelers had been here since 1921. The company has another location in Monroe, WI. This sign was previously painted green. It was removed around 2023. The store is still open.

The Lee's Watch & Jewelry sign was probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2010. By 2012, the sign had been removed and was put up for sale. For more, see this website.

Joe Koen & Son Jewelers
Austin, TX
Sherburne's Jewelers [gone]
Stillwater, MN
Simmons & Clark Jewelers
Detroit, MI

Joe Koen & Son Jewelers was established in 1883. The company moved to this location in 1972 and must have brought along this pre-1950s sign. The latest Street View map from 2023 shows the clock and neon missing which I'm hoping is a sign of a restoration in progress. [map]

Sherburne's Jewelers opened in 1975. Ths sign, which appears to be from the 1950s, must have been adapted from a previous business. In 2013, the business became Johnson Jewelers but the sign remained unchanged. In 2021, the sign was removed and put in storage at Skyline Neon in Minneapolis. For more, see this website.

Simmons & Clark Jewelers opened in 1925 and is still family owned and operated. This sign was installed in the 1950s. [map]

West Carroll
National Bank
Oak Grove, LA
Jewelers [gone]
McPherson, KS
Alvin's Jewelry [gone]
Pittsburgh, PA
Edwards Jewelry [gone]
Waltham, MA
The West Carroll National Bank opened in 1947. This sign is probably from then. The bank closed around 1987. The sign was not there in 2013 but reinstalled by 2018. It was probably being restored during that time. The building is now used as a retail space. [map]

Renberger Jewelers opened in 1956 and this sign was installed then. This photo is from 2010. The sign was removed in 2014. After restoration, it was donated to the McPherson Museum where it is displayed.

The Alvin's Jewelry sign appears to be from the 1950s. This photo is from 2010. By 2011, the business and sign were gone.

Edwards Jewelry had been here since around 1929. When this photo was taken in 2009, the sign's clock was still working and the neon seemed to be in good shape. By 2011, the store was vacant and the sign was gone.

Jack Robbins Clothes [gone]
Chicago, IL
Better Roofing &
Siding Co. [gone]
Chicago, IL
Photo Supply [gone]
Chicago, IL
Conrad & Son Hardware
& Supply Co. [gone]
Chicago, IL
Jack Robbins Clothes opened in 1930 and closed in 2006. Another business moved in and draped the sign with a vinyl one of its own, breaking off the sign's still functioning neon. The Robbins sign combined red neon and flashing bulbs. The piece containing the clock on one side and an "R" on the other was originally a spinning element. The sign remained until 2009 when it was destroyed in a building fire. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Better Roofing & Siding Co. sign was missing its neon but it was otherwise well-preserved. The business closed in 2010 and the sign went to a private collector. For more, see this website.

Marquette Photo Supply was established in 1947. The sign was built in the late 1950s by the Ad Deluxe Sign Co. Unlike production signs with brand names, this sign was unique. Permission had to be obtained from Kodak before it was built. The sign is not currently operating. When it was lit, it featured pink and gold neon. The clock was backlit and the arrow had chasing bulbs. The owner passed away in 2017 and the store closed soon after that. The sign was removed in 2018 and is now in a private collection. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Conrad & Son Hardware & Supply Co. signs were probably from the 1950s. They were removed in 2018. The hanging sign is now in a private collection.

Granville Picture Framing
Chicago, IL
Clark-Devon Hardware
Chicago, IL
Laundry World
Berwyn, IL
Granville Picture Framing was established in 1936. These signs are probably from the 1940s or 1950s. The store closed in 2017. In 2019, the building was still vacant and the signs still there. [map]

Clark-Devon Hardware opened in 1924. This clock sign was built around 2007. It is 11 feet in diameter and weighs more than 3,000 pounds. The clock features giant wrenches for hands. There is a spinning saw blade at the middle. [map]

This Laundry World sign is a reworked Color Tile sign. Color Tile was there from at least 1978 until at least 1990. The oval shaped piece on top must have revolved at one point. Now it just blows a bit in the wind. This photo is from 2009. By 2014, the neon "Laundry" letters at the top of the sign had been replaced with plastic letters. For more, see this website. [map]

Walter C. Knack Co. [gone]
Dixon, IL
Time Deli
San Jose, CA
The Walter C. Knack Co. business is long gone. I think it was a vending machine company. The sign was gone by 2022.

The Time Deli sign was installed around 1950 when the business was known as the Time Market. The store closed in 2017. A shoe store moved into the building and this sign remains. The building and clock face have been painted gray. [map]

Fort Knox
Alameda, CA
Eagle Cafe
Fresno, CA
Fort Knox of Alameda buys and sells gold, silver, coins, and jewelry. The store housed different pharmacies from 1921 through the 1960s. The original sign was adapted for Fort Knox in the 1970s or 1980s. [map]

The Eagle Cafe was closed when this photo was taken in 2013. The eagle's animated wings and the clock haven't worked for many years. [map]

Rolling Pin Donuts
San Bruno, CA
Alcatraz Shade Shop
Oakland, CA
Kleen Rite Cleaners
Hopkinsville, KY
Clabber Girl
Terre Haute, IN
Rolling Pin Donuts opened in 1958. This sign may be from then. The ripple tin panels might indicate that it is even older. The clock has rolling pin hands. For more, see this website. [map]

The Alcatraz Shade Shop was established in 1954 and this sign may be from then. [map]

The Kleen Rite Cleaners has it all: plastic, neon, bulbs, a clock and flags. [map]

This Clabber Girl billboard has been here since the 1930s. Clabber Girl baking powder was developed in Terre Haute. In the 1930s and 1940s, Clabber Girl billboards were installed nationwide in an advertising campaign similar to that of Mail Pouch Tobacco. The sign was restored in 2019. For more, see this website. [map]

Motel [gone]
Seattle, WA
Paradise Trailer Court
San Leandro, CA
Dana Point Nursery
Dana Point, CA
Dick's Auto Rebuilders
Yuma, AZ
The Klose-In Motel opened in 1930 as the Klose Inn Auto Court. This sign was built in 1951. The sign was restored shortly after this photo was taken in 2008. There was a natural gas explosion in 2014 that damaged the motel. The motel was demolished in 2017 and the sign was removed. It is now in storage at the Museum of History & Industry (MOHAI). For more, see this website.

The Paradise Trailer Court sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Dana Point Nursery opened in 1947 and this sign may be from then. The sign was refurbished sometime after 2010. This photo is from 2013. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Dick's Auto Rebuilders was established in 1964. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Clock Signs
page 1
Clock Signs
page 3
Clock Signs
page 4
Main SCA Article
Companion Page
Main Signs Page