California Signs (page 30)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Taco King
Upland, CA
Pietro's Pizza
Vacaville, CA
Taco King opened in 1959 as Taka Taco. It was later known as Ozzie's Oasis, Taco Jify, and House of 19. In 1975, it became Taco King. The sign has been there since at least the early 1970s. The first photo is from 2013. By the second photo from 2017, the sign had been repainted. In 2018, the business was put up for sale. It is not yet known if the business and sign will be staying. For more, see this website. [map]

Pietro's Pizza opened in 1956. This sign is probably from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Vacaville U-Save Liquor
Vacaville, CA
2014: 2019:
Vacaville U-Save Liquor was part of a Northern California liquor store chain. This photo is from 2014. By 2016, the neon had been removed the sign was repainted. By 2018, the neon had been reinstalled. There are locations with similar signs in Merced, CA, Fresno, CA and elsewhere. [map]

Vacaville, CA
2008: 2014:
The Ranchotel motel opened in 1953. This sign is probably from then. The neon horseshoe on top of the sign is gone now. The bottom of the sign is obscured by trees. For more, see this website. [map]

Kay's Auto Sales
Vallejo, CA
2014: 2018:
The Kay's Auto Sales sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. Around 2018, the neon was removed and the sign was adapted for Ly's Auto. [map]

Relay Club
Vallejo, CA
Heart's Coffee Shop
Van Nuys, CA
The Relay Club sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The Heart's Coffee Shop sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Hart's Jewelers & Pawn Shop
Van Nuys, CA
The Hart's Jewelers & Pawn Shop signs were installed by 1955. The horizontal text under the hearts originally read "Credit" while the vertical text read "Jewelers." The two panels on the face of the building were probably back-to-back as a double-sided pole sign originally. [map]

More Van Nuys Signs:
Valley Relics Museum

Allan's Aquarium & Pet Center
Venice, CA
Allan's Aquarium & Pet Center opened in 1967. These signs are probably from then. These photos are from 2013. In 2016, the store moved to a new location and the building was sold. The new owner plans to keep the neon signs. In 2018, the building was being renovated. The signs were still there in 2019. [map]

Lincoln Hardware
Venice, CA
El Patio
Ventura, CA
State Cafe and State Hotel
Ventura, CA
I believe Lincoln Hardware has been here since 1930. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The El Patio Hotel was built in the 1930s and this sign appears to be from then. The hotel is now used for low-cost housing. [map]

The main State Cafe sign was adapted for the Star Lounge. The sign was originally painted red. There was a small "The" panel at the top which is missing now. The bottom of the sign read "Open 24 Hours". The State Hotel sign, shown above on the right, is in the alley next to the building. I assume that it was located on the front of the building originally. Both signs are lit at night. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hong Kong Inn
Ventura, CA
2012: 2014:
The Hong Kong Inn was established in 1964. The restaurant moved to this location in 1973. In 2012, the owners retired and closed the restaurant. However, in 2014, new owners have reopened the restaurant. The sign has been restored. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Rogers' Pharmacy
Ventura, CA


Rogers' Pharmacy opened in 1956 as the Midway Pharmacy. The building and sign were built then. The sign was restored in 2019. [map]

Ventura Leather
Ventura, CA
former Shakey's Pizza Parlor
Ventura, CA
The Ventura Leather sign might be an adapted neon shoe repair sign. [map]

This former Shakey's Pizza Parlor sign was adapted by Rusty's Pizza Parlor and Pizza Man Dan's. The restaurant became Pizza Man Dan's in 2012 and this sign may be replaced. The original Shakey's neon tubing holes have been covered over with a vinyl sign. The "& Ye Public House" neon on the bottom has been removed. This page shows what this sign would have looked like originally. [map]

OCO Tool Company [gone]
Ventura, CA
Silver Sands Motel
Ventura, CA
The OCO Tool Company was established in 1940 and this sign may have been from then. This photo is from 2012. By 2015, the sign was gone.

The Silver Sands Motel was probably built in the 1950s. [map]

Casa de Soria Cafe
Ventura, CA
2012: 2014:
Casa de Soria Cafe supposedly opened in 1958. Apparently, the restaurant that was here by 1966 went by the name of El Tecolote. This neon owl sign must have been installed for that business. The sign was probably updated with the plastic panel or built entirely in the 1960s. The sign was restored in 2014. There were three, related El Tecolote restaurants. The one in Simi is gone but the one in Camarillo, CA is still there and has a neon owl sign. [map]

Surf Liquor
Ventura, CA
2012: 2014:
The Surf Liquor sign was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. In 2014, the neon "Liquor" letters were replaced with backlit plastic letters. The rest of the sign is no longer lit. [map]

Bayshore Inn Motel
Ventura, CA
2012: 2013:
The Bayshore Inn Motel was originally built as the Circle W Motel. At some point, this 1950s-looking sign was reworked for the Bayshore Inn. In 2013, the sign was reworked and the neon "Motel" letters were replaced with backlit plastic letters. [map]

Lindsay Insurance
Ventura, CA
Loop Motor Lodge
Ventura, CA
Lindsay Insurance is long gone as well as the building that this sign was installed on. It was originally a projecting sign and is probably from the 1950s. I believe the text on the sign was originally "Lindsay & Buchanan." The sign is now tucked around an alley near its original location. [map]

The Loop Motor Lodge sign appears to be from the 1950s. The "motel" blade sign was a later addition. The "loops" around the edge of the round sign were probably sequentially lit originally. For more, see this website. [map]

Mission Bell Motel
Ventura, CA
The Mission Bell Motel was established in the 1930s as the Mission Bell Motor Court. The neon bell on the tower might be original. The blade sign is similar to the originals. The bell was probably animated at one time. For more, see this website. [map]

Vernon Signs:
Farmer John Murals

Alameda Albany -
Apple Valley
Arcadia -
Bakersfield Bay Point -
Beverly Hills
Big Bear Lake -
Buellton Buena Park -
Catheys Valley -
Costa Mesa
Cotati -
El Centro
El Dorado -
Eureka -
Garden Grove
Fresno Gilroy -
Happy Camp
Hawthorne -
Hayward &
San Leandro
Lakewood -
Lodi -
Long Beach Los Angeles Madera -
Merced -
Morgan Hill -
Ontario -
Palo Alto
Pasadena -
Pico Rivera -
Porterville -
Redondo Beach
Redwood City -
Rio Vista -
Sacramento Salida -
San Bernardino
San Bruno -
San Luis Obispo
San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose San Mateo -
Santa Barbara
Santa Clara -
Santa Monica
Santa Paula -
St. Helena
Sun Valley -
Victorville -
Woodland -
Yuba City
Museum of
Neon Art
Valley Relics Museum

Main Signs Page