Texas Mid-Century Modern Buildings (page 5)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Las Palmas Public Health Center
San Antonio, TX
The Las Palmas Public Health Center building originally housed the Las Palmas Branch Library. It was built in 1969. [map]

Police Headquarters [gone]
San Antonio, TX
Riverbend Garage
San Antonio, TX
This Police Headquarters was built from 1960-1962. This photo is from 2011. In 2013, demolition of the building began in order to build a new courthouse.

The Riverbend Garage with its spiral concrete ramp appears to have been built in the 1960s or 1970s. The sign was built and installed sometime between 2011 and 2013. [map]

Tower of the Americas
San Antonio, TX
John H. Wood Courthouse
San Antonio, TX
The Tower of the Americas was built for the 1968 HemisFair as an observation tower and restaurant. It is 750 feet tall. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The John H. Wood Courthouse was built as the United States Confluence Theatre for the 1968 HemisFair. The building now houses the U.S. Courts Library. The Tower of the Americas, also from the Hemisfair, is visible in the background of the first photo above. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Police Department
Seymour, TX
This Police Department building appears to be from the 1960s. The building originally housed Mitchell's Cafe. It had opened by 1961. The building later housed a donut shop and a youth center. [map]

More Seymour:
Baylor County Courthouse

Snyder, TX
parking garage
Texarkana, TX
Several of these Shelters were installed downtown in 1968 as part of a "beautification program". [map]

This parking garage is part of an office building. The concrete screen wraps around the corner to the left. The building has been vacant since at least 2007. [map]

Sedberry Furniture
Waco, TX
The Sedberry Furniture building was built in 1951 as a H-E-B grocery store. H-E-B stands for Howard E. Butt, the chain's owner. The company is still thriving with over 300 locations in Texas. This building later housed Hicks Rubber which sold tires and appliances. The outline of the vertical letters for "Hicks" is just barely visible on the pylon. The building now houses the Furniture Warehouse. For more, see this website. [map]

Scottish Rite of Freemasonry
Waco, TX
This Scottish Rite of Freemasonry building was built from 1967-1968. It has housed a Masonic library, known as the Lee Lockwood Library and Museum, from the beginning. The sphinx statues are copies of those created in 1913 and located at the Supreme Council Building in Washington, DC. [map]

Waco-McLennan County Library (Central Library)
Waco, TX

2006 & 2011:

The Central Library branch of the Waco-McLennan County Library was designed by Bush & Witt and built in 1961. These photos are from 2006 and 2011. Later in 2011, the building was remodeled. The entrance has been moved to the side of the building and those details have been lost. The steps and doors were replaced with protruding glass windows. [map]