New Jersey Signs (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Drug Store
Asbury Park, NJ
Liquors [gone]
Bayville, NJ
Liberty Electric
Company [gone]
Bayonne, NJ
Manny's Liquors & Wines
Bayonne, NJ
The Home Drug Store sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. It is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

The Bayville Liquors sign was from the late 1960s. It was removed in 2020.

The Liberty Electric Company was gone but this sign was still there when this photo was taken in 2012. The storefront was then occupied by the Bayonne Glass Co. The sign was still there in 2013 but gone by 2016. It was probably built in the 1950s.

The Manny's Liquors & Wines signs appear to be from the 1950s. They are lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

More Asbury Park:
Casino Skating Palace [gone]
Tillie sign [gone]

Atlantic City:
Clifton's Club Harlem [vintage; gone]
White House Sub Shop

Bakery [gone]
Belmar, NJ
Black Horse
Motel [gone]
Blackwood, NJ
Industries [gone]
Boonton, NJ
App's Hardware [gone]
Bordentown, NJ
spinning sign [gone]
Budd Lake, NJ
Freedman's Bakery opened in 1950 and this sign is probably from then. This photo is from 2012. In 2014, the bakery closed and the building was remodeled for the BeachHaus Brewery. Parts of the sign may have been salvaged when it was removed.

The Black Horse Motel had been demolished but this sign remained when this photo was taken in 2009. By 2011, the sign was gone.

Packard Industries, aka Kanter Auto Products, has been selling Packard parts since 1960. I'm not sure if this sign is vintage or a reproduction. In 2017, the company began consolidating its operations and moving inventory from this location to another one nearby. The sign is currently in storage.

App's Hardware was established in 1900. I believe the store closed in 2009. This sign was still there later than year and an antiques store was in the space. By 2011, the sign was gone.

This spinning sign was located at the Cherokee Trading Post which opened in the 1940s. This motorized sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The store closed in 2016 and the sign was removed. For more, see this website. There is another one of these at the Weber's Root Beer in in Pennsauken, NJ. There was another one in Dania, FL.

More Bordentown:
Anthony's Pizza Town
Mast Pharmacy & Surgical Supply

Towne Park
Motel [gone]
Camden, NJ
Penn Fish Co. [gone]
Camden, NJ
Swan Dry
Cleaners [gone]
Cranford, NJ
Hunter's Lodge
Delaware, NJ
Dickerson's Flower Shop
Dover, NJ
Although the Towne Park Motel was demolished in the early 1990s, this sign was still intact in 2009 when this photo was taken. By 2015, the arrow part of the sign and the letters had been removed. By 2019, plastic panels for another business had been installed in the frame. [map]

The Penn Fish Co. was also long gone but this sign was still there in 2009 when this photo was taken. It was gone by 2012.

This photo of the Swan Dry Cleaners sign is from 2007. In 2010, the sign was removed. It is now in a private collection.

The Hunter's Lodge Motel opened in 1955 and is still in operation. The sign was stripped of its remaining neon and repainted shortly before this photo was taken in 2007. The colors are the original. [map]

Dickerson's Flower Shop opened in the late 1920s. The sign is probably from the 1950s. The store is still open. [map]

More Camden:
Gold Star Shoe Repairing
Line Cafe [gone]

Deluxe Cleaners

Closter Plaza

More Dover:
Dover Furniture Co.
Sacks' Paint

East Orange:

Eatontown TV
& Appliance
Eatontown, NJ
Bennett Chevrolet
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Eatontown TV & Appliance has been around since 1943. This sign is still lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Bennett Chevrolet was established in 1935. This rooftop sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Egg Harbor City:
George Senn Plumbing Supply

More Egg Harbor Township:
Uncle Dante's Pizza

Edison Motor Lodge

Elmwood Park:
Elmwood Park Diner [gone]
Marcal Paper Mills [gone]
Parkway Lanes

Oprandy's Liquors

Stryker's Paint Store
Flemington, NJ
Woolley's Fish Market
Freehold, NJ
Stryker's Paint Store has been here since the 1930s. The blade sign appears to be from then. These Dutch Boy Paints signs were mass-produced and there are still a number of them around the country. [map]

Woolley's Fish Market features this giant lobster sign on their roof. The neon appears to be in good shape so I would believe this sign is lit at night. [map]

More Freehold:
Wemrock Orchards

D&R Boat World
Green Brook, NJ
McMillan's Bakery [gone]
Haddon Township, NJ
Cedar Gardens Liquor Store [gone]
Hamilton, NJ
D&R Boat World opened here in 1956. This sign is probably from then or shortly thereafter. It must have had neon letters originally. A darker blue face is visible behind the peeling paint. At some point, these backlit letters were stuck on the sign. This photo is from 2011. The sign had been restored by 2013 (still backlit plastic letters but the anchor is neon). [map]

McMillan's Bakery opened in 1939. This photo is from 2009. The bakery is still there but these neon letters were removed around 2012. They were probably from the 1950s.

The Angeloni's Cedar Gardens Liquor Store sign was probably from the 1950s. It was removed in 2016 and is now at Fleming's Junkyard in Egg Harbor Township, NJ. For more, see this website.

Corks & Bottles


Haddon Township:
Sattler's Trains & Hobbies

Pine Crest Motel

Diamond Reo [gone]
Hawthorne, NJ
Mom's Diner
Hightstown, NJ
Clam Broth House
Hoboken, NJ
Victor [gone]
Hoboken, NJ
This Diamond Reo embossed plastic sign was located at Goffle Brook Sales & Service. This photo is from 2011. By 2018, the sign was gone. There is still one of these signs in Columbus, OH as of 2017.

The sign at Mom's Diner, formerly Mom's Peppermill Restaurant, used to be animated. The crank of the peppermill would turn and the lights blinked out ground pepper. The decaying sign was repainted yellow as part of a major 2003 restaurant makeover when it became Chef Giorgio's Mom's Diner. Although the neon was not restored, the crank and upper piece with "Exit" and "8" were repaired and spinning again. The restaurant closed around 2007. It was demolished around 2023 but the sign is still there. [map]

The Clam Broth House restaurant opened in 1899. The name came from the broth, served free of charge, that was made from the water used to boil the steamed clams. The restaurant closed in 2003 when structural damage was discovered. The building was demolished in 2004. There were originally three of these pointing hand signs. One was located outside the restaurant, pointing downwards towards the entrance. That giant yellow sign is reportedly in storage. There was also a smaller one directly above the entrance, pointing inward toward the building. The third one, located across the street and shown above, is the only one that remains on display. In 2010, a new Clam Broth House restaurant opened. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

I believe the Hotel Victor was built in 1916. This sign was built in 1935. The building is no longer used as a hotel. The sign was removed around 2020.

More Hoboken:
L. Pini & Sons Plumbing & Heating [gone]

Moon Motel
Howell, NJ
Valley Fair [gone]
Irvington, NJ
The Moon Motel opened in 1966 and this sign is from then. The motel was demolished in 2015 but the sign remains. For more, see this website. [map]

The Valley Fair supermarket and sign were built in 1961. Around 2012, the supermarket closed and a new multiple tenant building was constructed. This sign has been completed reworked with plastic panels. [map]

Starr's [gone]
Jersey City, NJ
Orthopedic Shoe Repair [gone]
Lake Como, NJ
The Starr's restaurant was long gone but this sign was still there in 2011 when this photo was taken. The building was demolished in 2015 and the sign is gone.

The Orthopedic Shoe Repair sign appeared to be pre-1950s. The store and sign were gone by 2021.

More Jersey City:
Colgate Clock
Court House Pharmacy

New Jersey
(page 2)
New Jersey
(page 3)

Main Signs Page