email: roadarch@outlook.com

Mortar, Pestle, and Beaker Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Henderson's
Drugs [gone]
Penn Yan, NY
Adrien Pharmacy
Cincinnati, OH
Pohlman's Pharmacy
Goshen, OH
(now Cincinnati, OH)
Henderson's Drugs was founded in 1956 and this sign appeared to be from then. The company had several other locations. This sign was removed and destroyed in 2014. For more, see this website.

The Adrien Pharmacy sign features an animated mortar and pestle. [map]

The Pohlman's Pharmacy sign was built in 1956. The sign was moved in 1971 and again in 1975 when the store relocated. The sign features an animated, pouring beaker. The design is very similar to the Harvard Avenue Drugs sign shown below. The business closed in 2015. This sign is now at the American Sign Museum in Cincinnati. For more, see this website.

More New York:
M&M Pharmacy: 1, 2 (Brooklyn)
Brown's Pharmacy (Deposit)
Garro's Drugs (Utica)

More Ohio:
American Sign Museum: 1, 2 (Cincinnati)
Hillsboro
Wurster Drugs (Portsmouth) [gone]

Howard's Drugs
Lakeview, OR
Harvard Avenue Drugs [gone]
Roseburg, OR

The Howard's Drugs is probably from the 1960s. [map]

Harvard Avenue Drugs opened in 1959. This sign was most likely from then. There were chasing bulbs between the beaker and the mortar and pestle. The store closed in 2019. The building and sign were gone by 2021.

Gaddy Drug
Muskogee, OK
Ralph's Drug [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
Gaddy Drug was founded in 1949. This appears to be either a refurbished or replica sign. [map]

Ralph's Drug was gone when this photo was taken in 2011. These signs were removed in 2014. The 1950s-looking sign had been updated a bit with the plastic panels. The neon sign is now in a private collection. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Pennsylviana:
private collection (Philadelphia)

former Tellis Pharmacy
Charleston, SC
Union County Drug
Anna, IL (now Vale, SD)
The Tellis Pharmacy opened in 1952. This sign was built in 1953. The store closed in 2012. In 2014, the sign remained and there was an antiques store in the space below. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Union County Drug was closed when this photo was taken in 2010. This sign appeared to be modern or a substantially refurbished old sign. It was gone by 2018. The sign is now displayed inside the Full Throttle Saloon in Vale, SD.

More South Dakota:
Yankton Rexall (Yankton)

Tennessee:
J. Lowery Drug Store (Benton)

Jones McCall Pharmacy [gone]
Andrews, TX
Deason Pharmacy [gone]
Tyler, TX
Center
Pharmacy [gone]
Hallettsville, TX
The Jones McCall Pharmacy opened in 1955. This sign was probably from then. This photo is from 2012. The sign was still there in 2013. The pharmacy had closed and the sign was gone by 2018.

The Deason Pharmacy was gone but this sign was still there when this photo was taken in 2011. The sign appeared to be from the 1940s or 1950s. The sign disappeared in 2013.

The Center Pharmacy sign was probably from the 1950s or 1960s. By 2021, the neon was removed and it was painted white for a frozen yogurt store. [map]

former Grove Drug Store
Austin, TX
2011: 2018:
The Grove Drug Store occupied this building from 1933 until the early 1980s. The Morley Brothers drug store preceded that as the original occupants in 1874. The sign was probably built in the 1940s or 1950s. It had been installed by 1956. The vertical panel read "Drugs." In 2000, the drug store was converted into Austin's Visitor Information Center. The neon sign was adapted with coverup panels to reflect the new use. In 2014, the sign was covered over again for the space's new tenant, Wild About Music. By 2016, the sign was back to reading "Visitors Information Center." Around 2018, the sign was reworked to read the "Grove Building." The two neon arrows that wrapped around the bottom of the sign are gone now. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Drug Store
Dallas, TX
Nau's Enfield Drug
Austin, TX
North Side Medical
McKinney, TX
The Drug Store sign is probably from the 1950s. It was apparently animated. There hasn't been a drug store here since at least 2008 but this sign remains. [map]

Nau's Enfield Drug opened here in 1951. This sign was restored in 2009 by Evan Voyles of Neon Jungle. It was repainted in the original color scheme. Voyles added animation to the mortar and pestle which was not part of the original design. The sign looked like this in 2006. The panel with the mortar and pestle has been adapted and painted over from an earlier design or another business. Raised letters reading "ICE CREAM" are visible at the bottom and there appears to be a checkmark above them. [map]

The North Side Medical sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

More Texas:
Dougherty's Airway Drug (Dallas)
Smith Drugs (McKinney) [gone]
Kelly Drug (Mineola)

Utah:
Vincent Drug (Midvale) [gone]

Malley's Pharmacy
Richland, WA
Luck Pharmacy
Luck, WI
Buch and
Donovan Drugs
Wheeling, WV
This Malley's Pharmacy sign was probably built for Johnson's Drug which preceded Malley's at this location. The sign appears to be from the 1950s. [map]

The Luck Pharmacy mortar and pestle sign is about eight feet tall. The openings on the bottom might indicate that it is or was lit at night. [map]

Buch and Donovan Drugs opened in 1921. This sign is most likely from then. The drug store is gone but this sign remains. The business there now is Lynn Buch Interiors. [map]

More Wisconsin:
Mallatt's Pharmacy (Madison)

Canada:
Pharmasave: 1, 2 (North Vancouver, BC) [gone]

Mortar, Pestle, & Beaker Signs
page 1
Mortar, Pestle, & Beaker Signs
page 2
Main SCA Article
Companion Page
Main Signs Page