email: roadarch@outlook.com

Bowling Signs (page 8)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Eastridge Lanes
Amarillo, TX
Paris Lanes
Paris, TX
Mountaineer Lanes
Mineral Wells, TX
The Eastridge Lanes opened in 1959 and this sign may be from then. As the paint has faded, the wood of the panels is showing through. [map]

The Paris Lanes sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Mountaineer Lanes sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

More Texas:
Bayou Lanes (Atlanta)
Corsicana Super Bowl (Corsicana)
Jupiter Lanes (Dallas) [gone]
Gateway Lanes (Mineola)

Jack & Jill Bowling Lanes
American Fork, UT
Logan Lanes
Layton, UT
Davis Lanes
Layton, UT
Jack & Jill Bowling Lanes opened in 1957. This sign was installed then. The bowling alley was named after the owners' two daughters, Jackie and Jill. The sign is about 50 feet tall and is installed on a 14-foot-tall pole. For the first few years, there was additional neon on the arrow that flashed. It was too much trouble to keep it working and that feature was removed. The bowling alley moved in 1984 and the sign was installed at the new place the following year. YESCO, which probably built the sign originally, maintains the neon and repaints the sign every five years. The sign is lit with green, blue, red, orange, and white neon. For more, see this website. [map]

The Logan Lanes opened in 1959. There was a different sign panel at the bottom where the LED message board is now. For more, see this website. [map]

The Davis Lanes opened in the 1950s. The pole sign might be from the 1960s. The giant pins and ball sign on the building were added around 2009. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Miracle Bowl
Orem, UT
2006: 2014:
The Miracle Bowl sign was probably built in the 1950s. The sign was updated around 2009. The neon was removed from the text panels and the message board was changed to an LED screen. The bottom part of the sign was removed. [map]

Dixie Bowl
St. George, UT
Dinah
Bowl [gone]
Vernal, UT
The Dixie Bowl opened in 1959. This sign may be from then. [map]

The Dinah Bowl sign was probably from the 1950s or 1960s. It was installed on the roof. Dinah was probably a reference to the dinosaur statue in town. This photo is from 2012. The sign was gone by 2015.

Ritz
Classic Lanes
Salt Lake City, UT
Bonwood Bowl
Salt Lake City, UT
Sue-Rich Lanes
Salt Lake City, UT
The Ritz Classic Lanes opened in as the Classic Lanes 1958. This 90-foot-tall sign was built then. The revolving, backlit plastic panels read "CLASSIC" on one side and "BOWLING" on the other. In 1959, the sign blew over in a storm and crushed about 20 cars at the dealership next door. It was repaired and reinstalled. Around 1967, an explosion destroyed part of the bowling alley. Instead of replacing the damaged lanes, a skating rink was added. The lettering on the giant sign was changed to read "SKATING" on one side. In the 1980s, the rink was removed and more lanes were added. The sign was altered to spell out "CLASSIC" on the "SKATING" side. The giant pin was outlined with red neon. The text below had red and blue neon. In 2015, the bowling alley closed and was demolished. In 2017, the sign was removed. A new sign based on the old one was created using LED instead of neon by YESCO which built the original sign. The sign advertises for the Ritz Classic Apartments. The wording at the bottom now reads "Apartment Homes". For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Bonwood Bowl opened in 1957 and this sign was installed then. The sign was designed by Brimley Brothers Neon. The name came from combining the names of the owners, Bonnie and Woodrow. The "BOWL" letters revolved originally. The bowling pin is eight feet tall. The Trophy Room Lounge arrow sign was added later. In 2018, the sign was struck by a car. It was restored by YESCO. The neon and arrow are gone from the bottom panel. There is now a rectangular plastic panel there now. The "Lounge" letters were replaced with "Bar * Grill" For more, see this website. [map]

The Sue-Rich Lanes sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Hopewell
Bowling Center
Hopewell, VA
Shenandoah Lanes
Mount Jackson, VA
San Juan Lanes
Anacortes, WA
Robin Hood
Lanes [gone]
Edmonds, WA
Fairweather Lanes
Sedro-Woolley, WA
(now Mt. Vernon, WA)
The Hopewell Bowling Center has been around since the 1950s. [map]

The Shenandoah Lanes features duckpin bowling and uses an appropriately shaped sign. They have been around since 1948 and claim to be Virginia's oldest bowling alley. [map]

The San Juan Lanes was built in 1960. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Robin Hood Lanes opened in 1960. This photo is from 2008. The bowling alley closed in 2013. By 2015, the building and sign were gone.

The Fairweather Lanes was originally known as the Sedro-Woolley Bowling Center. The bowling alley closed around 2005. This photo is from 2008. In 2012, the business was renamed the Community Bowling Center. Since then, the sign has been displayed on the side of the Skagit Building Salvage building in Mt. Vernon, WA. [map]

Kent Bowl
Kent, WA
Aztec Lanes
Olympia, WA
Laurel Lanes
Port Angeles, WA
The Kent Bowl opened in 1958. These signs may be from then. By 2018, one of the panels was painted red and the readerboard on that side was replaced with a plastic panel. For more, see this website. [map]

The Aztec Lanes sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. The business was originally known as the Capitol Lanes and later as The Bowl. For more, see this website. [map]

The Laurel Lanes opened in 1959. This sign is probably from then or the 1960s. [map]

Triangle Bowl
Longview, WA
The Triangle Bowl opened in 1957. This sign is believed to be from then. It was built by the Vancouver Sign Company and has been restored twice. In 2006, the panels were repainted and the neon was replaced. The "BOWL" text and the bowler flash on and off in sequence. The bowling alley is located in the Triangle Mall which occupies a triangular-shaped lot. The sign is about 15 feet tall and has triangular-shaped panels. There are plans to redevelop the mall within the next five to 10 years. The bowling alley will have to move. The new location and the fate of the sign are unknown at this point. However, the bowling alley and the sign are still at the same place. In 2021, the sign was removed for restoration. For more, see this website. [map]

Crosley Lanes
Vancouver, WA
The Crosley Lanes opened in the mid-1950s. The building originally housed a Pepsi bottling plant. There may have been a bottle sign on the roof where the spinning bowling pin is now. The sign in the parking lot is modern. The Crosley Lanes became Donn Allen's Crosley Lanes in 1987. For more, see this website. [map]

More Washington:
Strawberry Lanes (Marysville)
Frontier Lanes (Tacoma)
Tower Lanes (Tacoma)

Bowling Signs
page 1
Bowling Signs
page 2
Bowling Signs
page 3
Bowling Signs
page 4
Bowling Signs
page 5
Bowling Signs
page 6
Bowling Signs
page 7
Bowling Signs
page 9
Main SCA Article
Companion Page
Main Signs Page