email: roadarch@outlook.com

Iowa Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Sew-Vac [gone]
Sioux City, IA
A-1 Siouxland Lock & Key
Sioux City, IA
Sew-Vac moved and left this sign behind. It probably had neon originally. This photo is from 2010. By 2012, the sign was gone.

A-1 Siouxland Lock & Key features this key-shaped sign above their storefront. The neon appears to be in good shape. [map]

More Sioux City Signs:
Braunger Steak Company
KCAU-TV Weather Ball

H&N Chevrolet-Buick
Spencer, IA
King Tower Cafe
Tama, IA
H&N Chevrolet-Buick was established in 1927. These dealership signs were here by 1950. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The King Tower Cafe was built in the 1930s. It was part of a complex which also featured a garage, a gas station, and tourist cabins. The gas station and cabins have been demolished. The cafe remains open. This sign was built in 1950. In 2020, the sign was "restored": repainted panels and the neon removed. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Strawberry Point Signs:
Strawberry Motel [gone]

Stuart Signs:
Hotel Stuart

Toledo Signs:
Hotel Toledo

Cadillac Lanes [gone]
Waterloo, IA
Mama Nick's Circle Pizzeria
Waterloo, IA
El Mecca Shrine Club
Waterloo, IA
The Cadillac Lanes is still there but this sign was replaced with a plastic box sign in 2008. [photo thanks Glenda Campbell]

The Mama Nick's Circle Pizzeria opened in 1962. This sign is lit at night. For more, see this website. [photo thanks Glenda Campbell] [map]

The El Mecca Shrine Club features a fez-shaped sign. I don't know of any other neon fez signs. Here are some other non-neon examples: Tacoma, WA, Wilmington, MA, Louisville, KY, and Denver, CO. [map]

More Waterloo Signs:
C&S Car Co. II
former Newton's Jewelers: 1, 2

Wilton Signs:
Wilton Candy Kitchen

Eby's Drug Store
Woodbine, IA
Food Land
Woodbine, IA
Eby's Drug Store was founded in 1916 and operated until 2015. This sign might be from the 1930s or 1940s. [map]

Food Land was established in Woodbine in 1947. This sign was built by 1952. The sign was installed over a rounded, corner entrance. Hence, the rounded base of the sign. When a larger store was built in 1968, the sign was moved to this location. [map]

More Woodbine Signs:
Harrison County Rural Electric Cooperative [gone]

More Iowa Signs:
Rexall Drug Stores (various cities)

IA (page 1) IA (page 2)

Main Signs Page