Scaffold Signs (page 8)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Cork 'n Bottle
Yankton, SD
The Cork 'n Bottle opened in 1988 and these rooftop signs are probably from then. [map]

More South Dakota Scaffold Signs:
Sioux Steel Co. (Sioux Falls) [map]

Town & Country Restaurant [gone]
Chattanooga, TN
The Town & Country Restaurant features this huge rooftop sign. They opened in 1949. In 2005, the building was sold. It was demolished and replaced with a Walgreens. The neon sign was donated to a local museum.

Cream City Ice Cream
Cookeville, TN
The Cream City Ice Cream animated sign was built in 1950. The 30 1/2 foot long sign was built by the Balton and Cummings Sign Company in Memphis. Cream City Ice Cream was produced in the building below the sign and distributed throughout central Tennessee. In the late 1950s, Mayfield Dairies purchased the milk production plant but did not remove the sign. Today, the building houses the Cream City Ice Cream & Coffee House. Annual fundraisers organized by CityScape pay for the maintenance of the sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

JFG Coffee
Knoxville, TN
The JFG Coffee Company was founded in 1882 as a wholesale grocery company selling coffee. JFG is the founder's initials (James Franklin Goodson). The company roasted coffee in downtown Knoxville from 1926 until 2005 when it moved to a different location. In 2009, this building with the 1930s rooftop sign (two photos at left) was converted into apartments known as the JFG Lofts. [map]

The JFG billboard (third photo) was built in the 1950s. It was located just south of the Gay St. Bridge when this photo was taken in 2007. In 2010, the sign was removed for restoration. The incandescent bulbs were replaced with LED bulbs. In 2012, the sign was installed near the original location. For more, see this website. [map]

Memphis, TN
Rex Liquors
Memphis, TN
This Kellogg's plant double-sided sign is lit at night. Does anyone know how long it has been here? [map]

The Rex Liquors sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Wonder Bread
Memphis, TN
2010: 2019:
This Wonder Bread factory continued to produce Wonder Bread and Hostess brand products here until 2013. In 2019, the Orion Federal Credit Union moved into the building. The rooftop sign's neon was restored. The vinyl covering on the lower panel was removed and the untouched loaf of bread is lit with spotlights. The projecting sign was removed and put in storage. There are no plans for that sign at this point. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Hotel Peabody
Memphis, TN
The Hotel Peabody was built in 1869. In 1925, the hotel moved to its current location. The rooftop sign on the left might be from the 1930s. It originally read "Hotel Peabody." The other, horizontal sign was probably added later. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Tennessee Scaffold Signs:
Gulf (East Ridge) [gone]
Regas Square (Knoxville)
Murfreesboro Motel (Murfreesboro)
Bruton Snuff (Nashville)

Scaffold Signs
page 1
Scaffold Signs
page 2
Scaffold Signs
page 3
Scaffold Signs
page 4
Scaffold Signs
page 5
Scaffold Signs
page 6
Scaffold Signs
page 7
Scaffold Signs
page 9
Scaffold Signs
page 10
Scaffold Signs
page 11
Main SCA Article
Companion Page
Main Signs Page