email: roadarch@outlook.com

Sacramento Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Wakano Ura
Chop Suey [gone]
Sacramento, CA
Ring Up Rivett
Sacramento, CA
Harlow's Restaurant & Nightclub
Sacramento, CA
Wakano Ura Chop Suey opened in 1923. The restaurant closed in 2008. This sign was probably from the 1940s or 1950s. It was removed in 2015.

This Ring Up Rivett sign advertised for H.W. Rivett Flooring. The company was established in 1884 and closed in 2006. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. As of 2015, the sign was still there. [map]

Harlow's Restaurant & Nightclub was established in 1982. This sign must have been built then unless it was adapted from another business. The sign was originally installed in front of the bar. A sign with a message board replaced it. This neon sign is now located in the patio area behind the building.

Schroeder's Shoe Repair
Sacramento, CA
shoe sign [gone]
Sacramento, CA
The Schroeder's Shoe Repair sign originally advertised for Dun Rite Shoe Repair which was established by the 1940s and moved here around 1958. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. It obviously had neon originally. There was a Dunn Rite Shoe Repair chain with locations around the country. I don't know if this sign was mass-produced for their stores. [map]

This shoe sign was a modern creation by Dexter Smith as a tribute to United Cobblers which used to occupy the space below. This photo is from 2014. The sign was removed around 2016. For more, see this website.

Wessler Body and Paint Shop
Sacramento, CA
New Roma Bakery
Sacramento, CA
The Wessler Body and Paint Shop opened in 1942. This sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

The New Roma Bakery opened in 1934. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

College Cyclery
Sacramento, CA
College Cyclery opened here in 1935. I don't know how long the neon sign has been at this store. While the sign's design appears to be 1940s or 1950s, it would not have read "Established 1935" when it was built. That might have been a painted addition during a refurbishing. The sign on the right appears to be modern. It was either adapted or built in the style of these mass-produced signs. For more, see this website. [map]

American Ice Co.
Sacramento, CA
The American Ice Co. opened in 1923. The signs were not there at the beginning. The smaller, projecting sign appears to be from the 1920s while the longer sign may have been installed later. The neon on the smaller sign was originally red text with a blue border. The long sign had text which read: "Cold Alone is Not Enough." [map]

Hotel Berry
Sacramento, CA
Club Raven
Sacramento, CA
The Hotel Berry building was built in 1929. The sign appears to be from that time. The building was restored from 2010-2012 and now houses the Studios at Hotel Berry. The sign was also restored then. This smaller sign is gone now. [map]

The Club Raven sign is a late 1980s replica of the circa 1946 original. The bird's wings are animated. For more, see this website. [map]

Hotel Marshall
Sacramento, CA
The Hotel Marshall was built as the Clayton Hotel around 1910. The name was changed to the New Clayton Hotel in the 1930s. In 1939, it became the Hotel Marshall. I believe these signs are from then. The canopy sign was previously painted green. It was repainted beige sometime between 2007 and 2011. These photos are from 2014. [map]

former Ramona Hotel
Sacramento, CA
Cardinal
Lanes [gone]
Sacramento, CA
Faith Tabernacle
Church
Sacramento, CA
Ford
Sacramento, CA
The Ramona Hotel was built in 1930 and this sign appears to be from then. Since 2011, the building has housed the Sacramento headquarters for the Church of Scientology. The sign's letters were replaced at that time. For more, see this website. [map]

The Cardinal Lanes opened originally as the North Bowl in 1941. This sign was probably installed in the 1940s or 1950s. In 1962, the bowling alley was renovated and renamed the Cardinal Lanes. The building has been vacant since the 1990s. The sign was removed in 2015. It is believed it was sold to a private collector. For more, see this website.

The Faith Tabernacle Church sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

This Ford sign is installed next to the parts department at Harrold Ford. This dealership was established in 1911. This sign might be from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Hollywood Hardware
Sacramento, CA
Hollywood Hardware was established in 1948. This rooftop sign was installed in 1959 when the store moved to this location. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

San Juan Motel
Sacramento, CA
2008: 2014:
The San Juan Motel was built around 1940. The sign is probably from the 1950s. The motel was demolished in 2010. However, this sign remains standing on the vacant lot as of 2016. The neon tubing is missing now. [map]

California State University Sacramento
Sacramento, CA
Raley's
Sacramento, CA
This California State University Sacramento sign hangs inside the University Union building. Herky the Hornet is the school's mascot. The sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s.

This Raley's grocery store opened in 1958 and this sign is from then. The silver background paint was originally white. There were also rooftop signs there when the store opened. In 2016, it was announced that Raley's would be moving. The store hopes to bring the sign to the new location if the city approves it. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

New American Poultry Co. [gone]
Sacramento, CA
Golden Motel [gone]
West Sacramento, CA
The New American Poultry Co. was still operating when this photo was taken in 2008. By 2012, the sign was gone.

This Golden Motel is still there but this sign was removed in 2008 just after this photo was taken. The sign was taken down to comply with West Sacramento's sign ordinance change. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Capitol Bowl
West Sacramento, CA
2008: 2014:
The Capitol Bowl opened in the early 1950s as the El Rancho Bowl. The sign shown on the left is gone now. It fell victim to a local sign ordinance change. It was replaced with a plastic sign. However, it seems the vintage sign may be in storage. The neon was also removed from the facade which was remodeled in 2012 as shown above. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

More Sacramento Signs:
Arden Motel (now Greens Hotel)
Dude Motel [gone]
El Rancho Mobile Home Park [gone]
Fireside Restaurant [gone]
Gunther's Ice Cream
Hart's Hamburgers [vintage]
King's Chinese Restaurant: 1, 2 [gone]
Pacific Motel [gone]
Sacramento Rug Works
Shakey's Pizza Parlor: 1, 2
The Stockman: 1, 2
various signs: 1, 2

Sacramento
(page 1)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Museum of
Neon Art
Other
California

Main Signs Page