email: roadarch@outlook.com

Montana Signs (page 6)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former Range Riders Bar and Cafe
Miles City, MT
Range Riders Museum
Miles City, MT
The Range Riders Bar and Cafe was located next door to the Trails Inn Bar. I believe it opened by the early 1940s. The sign that was there in 1942 appeared to be bigger. By the late 1940s or early 1950s, that sign or a smaller version of it was moved higher on the building and a large animated sign sign was installed below it. In the 1950s, an arrow had been added to the top sign and the bottom sign projected into the street. At some point, that lower sign was removed and the top sign was moved down. In 2009, the Range Riders Bar and the Trails Inn Bar were consolidated. The text was changed on the sign and it was moved above the already-existing Trails Inn sign. Later, the vacant space became the Range Riders Cafe. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Range Riders Museum opened in 1939. The first photo shows the sign that is south of town. The other two photos are of the sign at the museum. I believe both signs were built in the mid-1960s.

Fraternal Order
of Eagles
Miles City, MT
Bison Bar
Miles City, MT
Montana Bar
Miles City, MT
Plaza Shopping Center
Miles City, MT
This Fraternal Order of Eagles sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Bison Bar opened in 1900. This sign was installed in the 1940s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Montana Bar opened in 1908. This sign was built in the 1940s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Plaza Shopping Center had opened by 1963. All of the stores have been closed since at least 2005. [map]

Benevolent
and Protective
Order of Elks
Missoula, MT
Thunderbird Motel
Missoula, MT
Red's Bar
Missoula, MT
Stockman's Bar
Missoula, MT
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks sign might be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Thunderbird Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Red's Bar opened in 1952 and this sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Stockman's Bar opened in the 1920s. This sign might be from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Oxford Saloon
Missoula, MT
Top Hat Club
Missoula, MT
The Oxford Saloon opened around 1993. It moved to its current location in 1955. This sign which has embossed letters if probably from then. [map]

The Top Hat Club opened in 1952. This sign appears to be modern. The bar moved next door around 2015 and the sign was moved as well. For more, see this website. [map]

Missoula Club
Missoula, MT
The Missoula Club opened in 1890 as part of the Missoula Hotel. It moved to its current location in 1926. This sign with embossed letters is probably from the 1950s. The bulb arrow must have been added later, most likely, in the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

More Missoula:
Bel Aire Motel [map]
Other Place Bar [gone]
Ron's Auto Refinishers
Zip Auto Service

Mission Valley Power
Pablo, MT
Cherry Hill Motel
Polson, MT
The Mission Valley Power sign appears to be modern. It was installed sometime after 2018. [map]

The Cherry Hill Motel opened in 1946. This sign might be from then or the 1950s. In 2021, it was renamed the Cherry Hill Cabins but the sign remains. [map]

More Polson:
Richwine's Burgerville
Wolf Den [gone]

Yodeler Motel
Red Lodge, MT
The Yodeler Motel was built in 1962 and the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. There was originally a pole sign in front of the office. Sometime after that, the sign was moved towards the south end of the property and these signs were installed on the office. By 2011, the pole sign was gone. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Regis Grocery
Red Lodge, MT
The Regis Grocery building and sign are from 1941. The building has housed the Cafe Regis since 2002. [map]

More Red Lodge:
Red Lodge Cafe

McCone Electric Co-op
Richey, MT
The McCone Electric Co-op is based in Circle, MT. This sign hangs above this local office. The sign is probably from the 1950s and had neon originally.

Roundup:
Arcade Bar [map]
Arena Cafe [map]
Busy Bee Cafe

Service Drugs
Scobey, MT
The Service Drugs opened in 1936. This sign is probably from the 1940s. It was produced by the Artkraft Sign Co. The textured porcelain enamel panels have embossed letters. The store moved across the street in 2004. The neon sign was moved to the new location in 2013 after the facade was renovated. [map]

MT (page 1) MT (page 2) MT (page 3) MT (page 4) MT (page 5) MT (page 7) Main Signs Page