email: roadarch@outlook.com

Montana Signs (page 6)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

O'Haire Manor Motel
Shelby, MT
The O'Haire Manor Motel sign was built in 1959 and is 80 feet tall. In 2022, the City began raising money to restore the sign. The "MOTEL" letters will be changed to "SHELBY." I don't know what the plans are for the bottom part of the sign. The motel itself is three blocks away has closed but still has some signs. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Alibi Lounge
Shelby, MT
Mint Club
Shelby, MT
Larson
Clothing Co.
Shelby, MT
Elks Lodge
Shelby, MT
The Alibi Lounge sign is probably from the 1950s. The sign panels were painted a brick red previously. For more, see this website. [map]

The Mint Club has been there since at least 1957. The sign is probably from that time. For more, see this website. [map]

The Larson Clothing Co. opened in 1923. The store moved to this location in 1946. This sign is probably from then. It was repainted and the neon removed sometime after 2011. The sign was previouly brown with orange trim and had white letters. It read "Clothing Co." at the bottom and did not have the oval surrounding those words. For more, see this website. [map]

This Elks Lodge sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Sports Club
Shelby, MT
The Sports Club has been around since at least 1938. These signs appear to be from the 1950s. [map]

More Shelby:
Jacobson's Jewelry [gone]
Totem Motel [vintage; gone]

Moose Lodge
Sidney, MT
Club Tavern
Sidney, MT
This Moose Lodge was established in 1935. The sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Club Tavern sign appears to be from the 1940s or 1950s. It was restored sometime between 2009 and 2015. For more, see this website. [map]

More Sidney:
Park Plaza Motel [gone]

Silver Gate:
Log Cabin Cafe [map]

Superior:
Four Aces Bar [vintage; gone]

Blue Anchor Bar & Cafe
Twin Bridges, MT
Two Dot Bar
Two Dot, MT
The Blue Anchor Bar & Cafe opened in 1946. It moved next door in 1948 and this anchor sign, glass block, and tile panels are probably from then. There were originally freestanding neon letters where the plastic ones are now. For more, see this website. [map]

The Two Dot Bar sign might be from the 1950s. In the 1980s, the vertical panel was painted blue and the horizontal panel was gold. The vertical panel is intersected with a neon branding iron. The town was named for a local cattleman who branded his cattle with two dots. For more, see this website. [map]

Vaughn:
Silver Spur Saloon [map]

Westwood Motel
West Yellowstone, MT
Ho-Hum Motel
West Yellowstone, MT
Round-Up Motel
West Yellowstone, MT
The Westwood Motel has an adapted 1960s Imperial 400 Motel sign. [map]

The Ho-Hum Motel sign might have been installed by the road originally where a plastic sign is now. The owl appears to be a double-sided sign. It is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Round-Up Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. It originally had cowgirls holding on to lariats leading to the borders of the round panels . For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Timberline Cafe
West Yellowstone, MT
Al's Westward-Ho Motel
West Yellowstone, MT
Dude Motel
West Yellowstone, MT
The Timberline Cafe sign was adapted at some point from the Ham & Eggery restaurant which was there in the 1950s. [map]

The Al's Westward-Ho Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Dude Motel was built in the early 1960s and this sign is from then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More West Yellowstone:
Big Sky Anglers Trout Shop

Palace Bar
Whitefish, MT
Bank Bar
Wilsall, MT
The Palace Bar opened around 1915. This sign might be from the 1950s. [map]

The Bank Bar building was built as a bank. The sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. Since 2007, the building has housed the Bank Bar & Vault Restaurant. I think the sign was repainted then. This photo is from 2022. [map]

More Whitefish:
Casey's Bar [gone]

Whitehall:
Chief Motel [gone]

White Sulphur Springs:
Buckaroo Bar [gone]
Mint Bar [gone]

Shamrock Bar
Wibaux, MT
Stockman Bar
Wibaux, MT
The Shamrock Bar sign is probably from the 1950s. Obviously, it had neon originally. [map]

The Stockman Bar opened in the late 1800s. The sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

Wolf Creek:
Frenchy's Motel [gone]

Wolf Point:
Elks Lodge [gone]
Gillette Pharmacy [gone]

MT (page 1) MT (page 2) MT (page 3) MT (page 4) MT (page 5) MT (page 7) Main Signs Page