email: roadarch@outlook.com

Montana Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Public Drug Co.
Great Falls, MT
The Public Drug Co. opened in 1935 and the signs may have been built then. They were definitely there by the 1940s. In 2009, the building was destroyed by a fire. While the business opened at a temporary location, a new building was constructed at a different spot and the original signs were restored. In 2011, the business reopened and the signs were installed. For more, see this website. [map]

Central Motel
Great Falls, MT
Top Notch Cafe
Great Falls, MT
Cart Wheel Bar
Great Falls, MT
Silent Knight Muffler
Great Falls, MT
The Central Motel... [IN PROGRESS] [map]

The Top Notch Cafe... [IN PROGRESS] [map]

The Cart Wheel Bar... [IN PROGRESS] [map]

The Silent Knight Muffler... [IN PROGRESS] [map]

More Great Falls:
Fox Fine Jewelers [gone]
Heidelberg Bar [vintage; gone]
Little's Lanes [map]

Silent Knight Muffler
Hamilton, MT
Lariat Motel
Hardin, MT
Corral Motel
Harlowton, MT
Stockman's Bar
Harlowton, MT
I believe that the Silent Knight Muffler chain was founded around 1968. This sign must be from around then or the early 1970s. The panel above the "MUFFLER" panel originally revolved. The only other remaining sign is in Great Falls, MT (see above). There were others in Billings, Missoula, and I assume other cities in Montana. [map]

This Lariat Motel sign was built in 1959. It was located about a block away from the actual hotel and installed on the roof of a hardware store. The motel had another neon sign in the 1960s. That one was replaced with a plain box sign at some point. Around 2020, the rooftop sign was moved in front of the motel, replacing the box sign. This photo is from 2022. [map]

The Corral Motel had been built by 1962 and may actually be from the 1950s. The Parkway Motel in Billings, MT has a very similar sign which was probably built by the same sign company. The sign's original paint color was more of an aquamarine which is still visible on the side of the sign and inside the "Swiss cheese holes." The plywood section was originally a readerboard. The AAA-approved logo has been covered up with the "Kitchenettes" piece. For more, see this website. [map]

The Stockman's Bar bar opened by 1944 and this sign was built around then. [map]

More Hamilton:
Montana Cafe

More Hardin:
Four Aces Bar & Lounge

More Harlowton:
Graves Hotel [gone]

Havre:
Bee Motel [vintage; gone]
Circle Inn Motel [map]
Golden Spike Bar [gone]
Norman's Ranch & Sportswear [map]
Siesta Motel [map]
VFW [gone]

Corner Bar
Helena, MT
Hap's Beer Parlor
Helena, MT
Rialto Bar
Helena, MT
The Corner Bar opened in 1934 as the Pepperbox nightclub. In 1944, it was renamed the City Club. It was renamed again in 1947 as the Helena Club. In 1956, the bar was sold to new owners who also operated the Corner Bar downtown. This sign was in use there by 1949. Just before that building was demolished in 1958, the sign was moved to this location which changed names a fourth time to the Corner Bar. For more, see this website. [map]

Hap's Beer Parlor opened in 1935 as Hap's Bar. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Rialto Bar opened in 1927. The sign might be from the 1940s or 1950s. The panels feature embossed letters. [map]

Smith's Place
East Helena, MT
Smith's Place, a restaurant, bar, and casino opened in 1919. This sign was installed sometime after 2012. It appears to be a vintage sign with new text panels added for Smith's. [map]

More Helena:
Broadwater Inn
Union Bank Weatherball [gone]

Hilger:
Rainbow Bar [gone]

Masonic Temple
Kalispell, MT
Rainbow Bar
Kalispell, MT
The Masonic Temple sign has backlit plastic panels now. It may have had glass panels originally. [map]

The Rainbow Bar opened in 1947. This sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

More Kalispell:
Vacationer Motel [gone]

Russell Motel
Laurel, MT
Fraternal Order of Eagles
Laurel, MT
King Koin Launderette
Laurel, MT
The Russell Motel opened in 1948. This sign might be from then or the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

This Fraternal Order of Eagles sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The King Koin Launderette opened around 1961 and the plastic sign is from then. The laundromat closed in the 1970s but reopened in 2018. There were other King Koins in Minnesota, Michigan, Iowa, North Dakota, Canada, and presumably elsewhere with these 1960s signs. [map]

More Laurel:
Lohof Motel [gone]

Montana Tavern
Lewistown, MT
Mint Bar & Grill
Lewistown, MT
The Montana Tavern opened in the 1930s. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. The building was constructed over Spring Creek, visible to patrons through a plexiglass covering in the bar's floor. The animated water and fish on the sign panels are a reference to this. For more, see this website. [map]

The Mint Bar & Grill has been around since at least the mid-1930s. This sign might be from the 1950s. It was painted green until around 2013 when it was covered with this silver chrome finish. For more, see this website. [map]

Sunset Motel
Lewistown, MT
Masonic Temple
Lewistown, MT
Moose Lodge
Lewistown, MT
Fraternal Order of Eagles Club
Lewistown, MT
The Sunset Motel sign is probably from the late 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Masonic Temple sign incorporates backlit stained glass. It might be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Moose Lodge sign might be from the 1950s. [map]

This Fraternal Order of Eagles Club was built in 1950 and this sign appears to be from then. It was painted white with red letters until sometime between 2013 and 2018 when the panels were covered with a chrome finish much like the Mint Bar sign shown above. [map]

More Lewistown:
Toomey's Shoe Shop [gone]

MT (page 1) MT (page 2) MT (page 4) MT (page 5) Main Signs Page