email: roadarch@outlook.com

Montana Signs (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Powder Horn Outfitters
Bozeman, MT
Rocking R Bar
Bozeman, MT
Gallatin Laundry
Bozeman, MT
Powder Horn Outfitters opened here in 1946 and I believe the sign is from then. The store is now known as Schnee's Boots and Shoes. The sign was restored in 2012. It has been declared a local historic landmark. The neon target rings behind the gun flash sequentially. For more, see this website. [map]

The Rocking R Bar opened in 1947 and this sign may be from then. In 2009, an explosion leveled five buildings, including the bar, and damaged the sign. The bar was rebuilt and the sign was restored. For more, see this website. [map]

The Gallatin Laundry operated from 1917-2018. The sign was installed in the 1940s but had not been lit since the 1960s. In 2022, the building was renovated for Backcountry, an outdoor gear and clothing company, and the sign was restored. This photo is from 2022. [map]

Ranch House Motel
Bozeman, MT
Blue Sky
Motel [gone]
Bozeman, MT
Fraternal
Order of Eagles
Bozeman, MT
The Ranch House Motel sign is probably from the late 1950s. The bulb arrow was not there originally and was probably added in the 1960s. There was another sign there previously. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Blue Sky Motel was originally known as the Mountain View Courts. It became the Mountain View Motel at some point and the sign was probably replaced in the 1950s. By the late 1950s, the sign was changed for the Blue Sky. This photo was taken in 2008. The motel and sign were gone by 2013. For more, see this website.

This Fraternal Order of Eagles sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. It was protected with chicken wire for many years. That was removed around 2019. This photo is from 2022. [map]

More Bozeman:
Baxter Hotel
City Center Motel [vintage; gone]
Lewis & Clark Motel
Masonic Lodge [gone]
Royal 7 Motel (now Sapphire Motel)
Western Plumbing

Broadus:
Powder River Lanes

spinner sign
Butte, MT
Kenwood Hotel
Butte, MT
This motorized spinner sign previously advertised for S. Scott Larsen, a real estate agent. I don't know if this sign advertised for another company before that. It was probably built in the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Kenwood Hotel was built in 1902. The building was vacant for many years and then renovated in the late 1990s. The original sign panels were red with white letters. This replica sign was built as the building was being restored. In 2020, the neon was replaced with LED rope. This photo is from 2022. [map]

Vogue Cleaners
Butte, MT
Acoma Lounge
Butte, MT
New Tait Hotel
Butte, MT
Alpine Bar
Butte, MT
The Vogue Cleaners building was built in 1951. This sign is probably from then. The sign still had some neon in 2015. The building is currently vacant. For more, see this website. [map]

The Acoma Lounge had opened by 1950. This looks like a replica sign. For more, see this website. [map]

The New Tait Hotel was built in 1915. This sign might be from the 1940s or 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Alpine Bar opened in 1940. There was originally had another sign above the entrance. It later became Val's Alpine Bar. This pole sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The blue, vertical panel had chasing bulbs. The painted mountains are topped with a Tyrolean hat. [map]

Len Waters Music Center
Butte, MT
The Len Waters Music Center opened in 1943 at this location which previously housed the Howard Music Co. This sign was probably built in the 1960s. The Knabe Pianos sign on the facade originally had a panel with a piano player and the word "Pianos". I don't know if that sign was there when the store still housed Howard Music. [map]

Pekin Noodle Parlor
Butte, MT
The Pekin Noodle Parlor opened in 1911 and is still operating. It is believed to be the oldest, continuously-operated Chinese restaurant in the country. The restaurant is located on the second floor and has wooden booths from the early 1900s. The neon sign was built around 1940. The "119" sign in the window orginally advertised for London Company Cigars next to the restaurant on the first floor. It has ripple tin panels and is probably from the late 1920s or early 1930s. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Butte:
Christie Transfer & Storage
Club 13 [map]
Fran Johnson's Sport Shop [gone]
Hotel Finlen (Butte)
M&M Cigar Store [gone]
Skookum Motel [gone]
Star Lanes

Chester:
Wheat Sheaf Motel [vintage; gone]

Chinook:
Bear Paw Court [vintage; gone]
Chinook Hardware
Elk Bar
Mint Bar

Clinton:
Other Place Bar [map]

Conrad:
Lariat Bar [map]

Cut Bank:
Elks Lodge [map]
Moose Lodge [map]

Mitchell Rooms
Deer Lodge, MT
Broken Arrow
Steak House & Casino
Deer Lodge, MT
The Mitchell Rooms were part of the Michell Block building which was built in 1913. The ground floor featured a saloon, a grill room, dining rooms, and card rooms. The sleeping rooms were located upstairs. This sign might be from the 1930s or 1940s. [map]

The Broken Arrow Steak House & Casino has been there since at least 1974. The sign looks like it might be from the 1960s. [map]

Dodson:
Cowboy Bar [map]

Drummond:
Sky Motel: 1, 2 [map]

East Glacier Park:
Sears Motel [map]

Longbranch Saloon
Ennis, MT
Buff's Bar & Casino
Forsyth, MT
The Longbranch Saloon opened in 1931. This sign might be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Buff's Bar & Casino sign appears to be from the 1960s. There was a different Buff's sign there in the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Fort Benton:
Palace Bar [map]

Galata:
Galata Motel [gone]

Gallatin Gateway:
Corral Bar

Parks' Fly Shop
Gardiner, MT
Jim Bridger Motor Court
Gardiner, MT
Parks' Fly Shop was established in 1953. The store moved to this location in the early 1960s. This sign might be from then or it may have been moved from one of its earlier locations. For more, see this website. [map]

Jim Bridger Motor Court was built in 1933 as the Jim Bridger Log Cabins. There was a different sign there in the 1950s which looks like it had a cowboy. The current sign was probably built in the 1960s. In 2022, the sign was changed from "Motor Court" to read "Explorer Cabins." For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

More Gardiner:
Hillcrest Motel
Red's Blue Goose Saloon: 1, 2 [gone]

Glasgow:
Big G Shopping Center [map]
Campbell Lodge
Eugene's Pizza
Hotel Roosevelt
Johnnie Cafe [map]
Sam's Supper Club [map]
Town & Country Furniture [map]

Glendive:
2992 Cleaners [vintage; gone]
Gust Hauf
Lulhaven [gone]
Masonic Lodge [map]
Oasis Bar

MT (page 1) MT (page 3) MT (page 4) MT (page 5) Main Signs Page