email: roadarch@outlook.com

Museum of Neon Art (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

"There's More to Neon Signs Than Liquor, Motels and Live Nude Girls" and "Motel California" (2018)
2014: 2018:

2014: 2018:

2014: 2018:

2014: 2018:

2014:
2018:
2018:

The Mission Motel opened in Oakland, CA in 1938. Additions were made to the original sign in 1945. This addition was built in 1950 and installed on top of the sign, making it 24 feet tall. The motel was demolished in 1996. This sign was donated to MONA by the Oakland Museum of Art. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Dale's Cocktails sign was built in the 1950s and was originally installed in Alameda, CA. It was donated to the museum and restored in 2018. For more, see this website.

The Chief Motel sign was built in the 1950s. The sign was originally located in Long Beach, CA. For more, see this website.

The Hofbrau sign was built in the 1950s. It was originally installed in Oakland, CA. The animated sign was donated to the museum in 2004. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Grauman's Chinese Theatre was built in Los Angeles, CA in 1927. Two, 40-foot-long neon dragons were added to the building in 1957. They were removed in 2001. In 2007, one of the dragons was donated to MONA. The other was given to the Hollywood Heritage museum. The dragons are animated from the tail to the head. The sign was restored in 2018. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4.

The neon anchor was built in 1963 and installed on top of the Edgewater Inn Marina Hotel in Long Beach, CA. The hotel, later known as the Seaport Marina Hotel, was demolished in 2017. There were two of these signs. The other one was donated to the Long Beach Historical Society. For more, see this website.

The Western Motel was built in Venice, CA in 1955. This sign was installed then. The sign was saved by MONA in 1983. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Tip Top Inn sign was built in the 1940s and originally located in San Francisco, CA. The olive was originally painted red as a cherry. For more, see this website.

The Seal Motel was built in Seal Beach, CA in 1955. This sign was built then by West Coast Neon. The ball on top of the seal's nose flashes in three stages. The sign was removed by 1983 and donated to MONA in 1989. For more, see this website.

more signs, 2022 visit
The 20-foot-wide Sears sign was built in the 1950s and originally displayed in Temple City. The letters were originally painted green with green neon. The letters were saved in 1997 and later donated to the museum by Jason Garcia and Charles Phoenix. For more, see this website.

The Sincere Gifts sign came from Chinatown in Los Angeles. The store opened in the 1930s. This sign was built in the 1950s. When the store closed, the signs were donated to the museum. The neon was restored by David Svenson. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The ICE sign was built in the 1920s. It has ripple tin panels. The neon was restored by Michael Flechtner. The sign was originally installed at the Mountain Water Ice Co. in San Bernardino County. For more, see this website.

The Lincoln Market sign was built in the 1920s. It has metal panels and metal letters. The store, located in Pasadena, was demolished in 1975. The sign was saved and later donated to the museum. The neon was restored by David Svenson and Lyle George in 2019 for the museum. For more, see this website.

The Buster Brown sign is a new acquisition. These signs were mass-produced for shoe stores around the country. One in Pocatello, ID was restored and relit in 2020.

The Dave's Coffee Shop sign was built in the 1930s and was originally installed in Oakland, CA. Dave's closed in 2008 and the sign was later donated to the museum. For more, see this website.

The Hollywood Athletic Club sign panel is one of four that featured animated women exercising with billiard balls. The other panels are now in private collections. The sign was built in 1993 and installed at the business' location in the Universal City CityWalk. For more, see this website.

This Hillcrest Laundry sign was built in the 1950s. It was donated to the museum by the City of Pasadena. This panel is displayed at the museum's lobby desk. There is also a vertical panel reading "Laundry" on display. For more, see this website.

The Movieland Wax Museum sign and bulb-filled diamonds were built in 1962. The museum, located in Buena Park, closed in 2005 and the sign was removed in 2018. For more, see this website.

Some other signs now owned by MONA are featured elsewhere at my website:

Bendix Building
Busy Bee Hardware
Clayton Plumbers
Green Frog Market
House of Spirits
Iwata Photo Supply
Jack Stephan Plumbing
La Palma Chicken Pie Shop
Paramount Pest Control
Safety Cycle Schwinn
Samuel's Florist
Tinder Box
Zinke's Shoe Repair

Museum of Neon Art
(page 1)
Museum of Neon Art
(page 3)
Alameda Bakersfield Fresno Hayward &
San Leandro
Long Beach Los Angeles
Oakland Sacramento San Diego Area San Francisco San Jose Stockton Valley Relics Museum Other California
Cities

Main Signs Page