email: roadarch@outlook.com

Oklahoma City Mid-Century Modern Buildings (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

former Fotomat
Guthrie, OK
former Fotomat [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
Both of these former Fotomats appeared to be abandoned when these photos were taken in 2011. By 2016, all that was left of the Oklahoma City location was the planter base. The Fotomat drive-thru photo developing chain was established in San Diego, CA in the 1960s. Their kiosks were located in shopping center parking lots. By 1980, there were over 4,000 locations nationwide. The original buildings had gold roofs. With the invention of one-hour developing, Fotomat's one-day service became obsolete. The company began selling off its kiosks in the mid-1980s. For more about the chain, see this page. [Guthrie map]

Metro Cleaners
Oklahoma City, OK
The Metro Cleaners building was designed by Hudgins Thompson & Ball. It was built in 1953 as a Nuway Cleaners. The upstairs originally housed nine apartments. The building also currently houses Granada Floral. There are apartments on the upper floor. This photo is from 2011. The building was vacant in 2016. [map]

Will Rogers Garden Exhibition Building
Oklahoma City, OK
The Will Rogers Garden Exhibition Building was designed by Turnbull & Mills and built in 1963. For more, see this website. [map]

Salvation Army [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
These Salvation Army buildings were built in 1960 and 1961. The office building was designed by Hudgins-Thompson-Ball. The Outreach Center was designed by Robert D. Stone. These photos are from 2011. That same year, it was announced that the buildings would be demolished for a new park. The buildings were gone by 2015.

Associated Glass
Oklahoma City, OK
The Associated Glass building was designed by Fred Pojezny, Jr. and built in 1956. There was a fire in 2009 and the building was still vacant in 2011 when these photos were taken. The business has since reopened. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Morrison Floral Co.
Oklahoma City, OK
The Morrison Floral Co. building was designed by Norman Byrd and built in 1966. For more, see this website. [map]

Fire Station #10
Oklahoma City, OK
Fire Station #10 was designed by Harold A. Hite and built in 1973. [map]

Belle Isle Library
Oklahoma City, OK
The Belle Isle Library was designed by Jack Mills of Turnbull & Mills and built in 1963. For more, see this website. [map]

Quail Creek Country Club
Oklahoma City, OK
The Quail Creek Country Club was designed by Bill Howard of Howard Samis & Davies. It was built in 1961. For more, see this website. [map]