email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Mid-Century Modern Educational Buildings (page 8)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Lawton Elementary School
San Francisco, CA
Lawton Elementary School was built from 1935-1936. The addition, shown in the two photos on the right, was built in 1950. [map]

San Francisco State University Creative Arts Building
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco State University Creative Arts Building was built in the mid-1950s. [map]

Newman Center
San Jose, CA
The Newman Center was built in 1966. It was previously known as the San Jose State University Catholic Campus Ministry, aka the SJSUCCM. The building is still associated with the university. For more, see this website. [map]

College of San Mateo
San Mateo, CA

Library

Fine Arts Center
The College of San Mateo Library and Fine Arts Center were built in 1963. They were designed by John Carl Warnecke & Associates. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Campbell Hall
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA
I believe Campbell Hall at the University of California at Santa Barbara was built in the 1960s. [map]

El Camino High School
South San Francisco, CA
El Camino High School was designed by Donald F. Haines and built from 1961-1962. For more, see this website. [map]

Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Stockton, CA
The Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is part of the University of the Pacific. This round building appears to be from the 1960s or early 1970s. [map]

California Lutheran University
Thousand Oaks, CA
These California Lutheran University buildings were designed by Jefferson A. Elmendorf and completed in 1962. The "Centrum" is a group of seven buildings, each with poured concrete barrel roofs. They originally housed a cafeteria, a motel, stores, a library, a bank, a barber shop, a dentist's office, and a real estate office. In the mid-1980s, the buildings were converted into offices and classrooms. The round building (top left) which was originally a gift shop now houses the Centrum Cafe. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.