email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Mid-Century Modern Bowling Alleys (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Covina Bowl
Covina, CA
The Covina Bowl was built in 1956. It was designed by Powers, Daly, and DeRosa with an Egyptian theme. The shape of the sign is meant resemble an Egyptian key. The sign originally had neon text reading "Covina" on top where the backlit abastracted "C" is. In 2017, the bowling alley closed. It's unknown what will happen with the building and sign. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

former Grand Central Bowl
Glendale, CA
The Grand Central Bowl was designed by William Rudolph and opened around 1959. It had 60 lanes. Since at least 2015, the building has housed offices for the Walt Disney Co. For more, see this website. [map]

Zodo's
Goleta, CA
Zodo's, a bowling alley and arcade, was built in 1964 as the Orchid Bowl. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

La Habra 300 Bowl
La Habra, CA
2008: 2013:
2014:
The La Habra 300 Bowl was built in 1960. The building features 32 lanes for bowling, a coffee shop, and the 13th Frame Lounge. The sign was repainted green and yellow about a month after the first photo above was taken. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Brunswick Sands Bowl
Lancaster, CA
The Brunswick Sands Bowl was built in 1958 as the Sands Bowl. The building was most likely designed by Powers, Daly, and DeRosa. The plaster mural with Egyptian figures was created by Milton Tuttle. These photos are from 2013. Around 2017, the exterior was repainted red, white and grey as the bowling alley became the Brunswick Zone Sands Bowl. [map]