email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Mid-Century Modern Educational Buildings (page 5)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Thompson Gymnasium
Lawndale, CA
The Thompson Gymnasium is located at Leuzinger High School. It appears to have been built in the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Ring Tank
La Jolla, CA
This Ring Tank is located at the Physiological Research Laboratory at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. It was built in 1965 and is no long used. [map]

Ahmanson Center for Biological Research
Los Angeles, CA
The Ahmanson Center for Biological Research is located on the University of Southern California campus. This complex of three buildings was designed by William Pereira & Associates and built in 1964. The buildings have been nicknamed the "Cheese Grater Buildings". For more, see this website.

University Religious Center
Los Angeles, CA
The University Religious Center is located on the University of Southern California campus. It was designed by Killingsworth, Brady & Associates and built in 1965. For more, see this website.

Alliance Piera Barbaglia Shaheen Health Services Academy
Los Angeles, CA
The Alliance Piera Barbaglia Shaheen Health Services Academy building previously housed the Los Angeles Unified School District Headquarters. It was built in 1962. [map]

former Kenneth N. Slater Elementary School
Mountain View, CA
The former Kenneth N. Slater Elementary School looks like it was built in the 1960s. The building now houses Google's Children's Center at The Woods. [map]

Cerritos College Gymnasium
Norwalk, CA

2008:

2013:
Cerritos College was founded in 1955 as the Cerritos Junior College. However, campus construction did not begin until 1958 and classes were held elsewhere until then. This gymnasium was completed in 1961. It was designed by Henry Wright and Earl Freels of Kistner, Wright & Wright. The building was remodeled in 2013 just before the photo above was taken. [map]

Pacifica Mid-Century Modern Educational Buildings:
Oceana High School

College of the Desert
Palm Desert, CA
These buildings at the College of the Desert were designed by John Carl Warneke and completed in 1962. For more, see this website. [map]