email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Mid-Century Modern Buildings (page 5)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Firehouse No. 4
Berkeley, CA
Firehouse No. 4 was built in 1962. It was designed by Ratcliff & Ratcliff. For more, see this website. [map]

Fire Station #8
West Hollywood, CA
Fire Station #8 was built in 1953. [map]

Chatsworth Veterinary Clinic
Chatsworth, CA
I believe the Chatsworth Veterinary Clinic building was built in 1960. The pergola in front of the entrance must have been a later addition. Does anyone know what business was here originally? [map]

Jet Center
Hawthorne, CA
The Jet Center at the Hawthorne Municipal Airport appears to be from the 1960s. [map]

J&S Market
Redding, CA
The J&S Market appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

O.C. McDonald Company
San Jose, CA
The O.C. McDonald Company was established in 1906. This building appears to be from the early 1950s. The top line of text on the sign flashes at night between "Oh" and "See." For more, see this website. [map]

School of Visual Philosophy
San Jose, CA
The School of Visual Philosophy moved into this building in 2014. The building was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. The light fixtures inside appear to be original. Does anyone know what the original occupant was? [map]

former Four'n 20 Restaurant & Pie Shop
Meridian Ave.
San Jose, CA
former Four'n 20 Restaurant & Pie Shop
Kooser Rd.
San Jose, CA
The Four'n 20 Restaurant & Pie Shop chain was established in the late 1960s. The building design was by Nyber & Bissner. The restaurants featured sit-down dining and a drive-thru window. The focus was on pie. The two San Jose locations were built in 1970 and 1971. In addition, there were four locations built in the Los Angeles area and three in the New York City area. None of those buildings survive.

The San Jose locations had closed by 1974. The buildings housed Photo Drive Up locations in the 1980s before becoming Wolf Camera stores. The Meridian location now houses Wright Lighting & Fireside. In 2017, the Kooser building was vacant and surrounded by chain link fencing. I fear the worst. For more, see this website. [Meridian map]; [Kooser map]

Auto Center West
San Jose, CA
The Auto Center West complex of auto related businesses was probably built in the 1960s. These two barrel roofed buildings are on opposite ends of the lot. [map]

Magic Sands Mobile Home Community Center
San Jose, CA
The Magic Sands Mobile Home Community Center was built around 1962. For more, see this website. [map]

San Jose Mercury News
San Jose, CA

2014:

2017:
The San Jose Mercury News moved to this building in 1967. The building was designed by Warren B. Heid. This metal structure, the loggia, and sculpture were installed in a fountain at the entrance. The sculpture known as the Loggia Pendant was created by John Jagger. In 2014, the company moved downtown. The sculpture was removed just after these 2014 photos were taken. It was placed in storage while the City decides where to display it. The building was sold to Super Micro which plans to build a huge complex on the property. It seems unlikely that this building will survive. For more, see this website. [map]

Center for the Performing Arts
San Jose, CA
The Center for the Performing Arts was built in 1972. It was designed by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. The building looks somewhat like Frank Lloyd Wright's Grady Gammage Auditorium. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Marin County Civic Center
San Rafael, CA
The Marin County Civic Center was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and was built 1957-1972. Wright passed away during the project and the buildings were completed in the 1960s by Taliesin architects Wesley Peters and Aaron Green. Wright's original plan called for gold roofs not blue. The Veterans' Memorial Auditorium, shown above in the bottom row, opened in 1971. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. [map]

Post Office
San Rafael, CA
This Post Office is located across the street from the Marin County Civic Center described above. It was part of the same design plan executed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was the first building constructed. There was originally a globe in front of the building. However, it was vandalized and removed. [map]