email: roadarch@outlook.com

California Mid-Century Modern Buildings (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Las Palmas Liquor Stores & Market
Palm Springs, CA
The Las Palmas Liquor Stores & Market was built as the Germain Brothers Liquor & Food Store. [map]

Palm Springs Spa [gone]
Palm Springs, CA
The Palm Springs Spa was designed by Cody, Wexler, Harrison & Koenig and built in 1955. It was known as the Spa Resort Casino when these photos were taken in 2014. Later that year, the building and colonnade were demolished. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

El Mirasol Restaurant
Palm Springs, CA
This mid-century modern looking building has housed the El Mirasol Restaurant since 1985. The second floor houses apartments. Does anyone know what business or motel was originally located here? [map]

More Palm Springs Mid-Century Modern Buildings:
Tramway Gas Station
various buildings

Corner Post
Fall River Mills, CA
Pic-N-Pac Liquors
El Cerrito, CA
The Corner Post building is probably from the 1960s. [map]

This Pic-N-Pac Liquors location appears to be from the 1960s. [map]

Fire Department
Susanville, CA
This Fire Department building appears to be from the 1960s. [map]

Sunset View Mortuary
El Cerrito, CA
The Sunset View Mortuary was built in 1962. It was designed by William Corlett of Corlett & Spackman. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Golden Gate Way Building
Lafayette, CA
multi-tenant building
San Carlos, CA
The Golden Gate Way Building was built in 1961. [map]

This multi-tenant building in San Carlos appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. Does anyone know what was here originally? [map]

Water Education Center [gone]
San Leandro, CA
The Water Education Center building originally housed Pure Water. The building was owned by the City of San Leandro and was vacant when these photos were taken in 2008. By 2012, the building was gone.

Hacienda Medical Building
La Puente, CA
The Hacienda Medical Building was built around 1958. [map]

Santa Maria Public Airport
Santa Maria, CA
Santa Maria Times
Santa Maria, CA
I believe this Santa Maria Public Airport building was built in 1964. [map]

The Santa Maria Times building appears to be from the 1960s or 1970s. [map]

Driftwood Dairy
El Monte, CA
The Driftwood Dairy was established in the 1920s. This retail store was built in 1961. It was originally known as the Driftyland Dairy-Port. The curbs are decorated with ceramic tiles of milk bottles and "Drifty the Cow", the company's mascot. In 2012, the upper panel of the sign was damaged by wind. The panel was removed and the sign was altered. The first photo above is from 2008; the second is from 2013. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]