email: roadarch@outlook.com

Washington Signs (page 4)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Golden Pheasant [gone]
Sunnyside, WA
Safari Restaurant [gone]
Sunnyside, WA
The Golden Pheasant Chinese restaurant opened in 1952. In 1973, the restaurant was destroyed by a fire. It was rebuilt in 1974 and this replica sign was installed then. The Golden Pheasant closed in 2010 but the sign remained. It is about 17 feet tall. When the sign was lit, it featured blue, red, orange, green, yellow, and white neon. In 2020, the City of Sunnyside had the sign removed for restoration. [map]

The Safari Restaurant featured dramatic signs with spears and Africans. The neon drummer's right arm was animated. The restaurant was destroyed by a fire in 2011. In 2020, the sign was removed when a new tenant moved into the building. It was donated to the city and is now in storage. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

More Sunnyside Signs:
Bob's Burgers

Lucky Silver Tavern
Tacoma, WA
2008: 2015:
The Lucky Silver Tavern sign is probably from the 1950s. The paint has faded quite a bit in recent years. For more, see this website. [map]

Farley's Florist [gone]
Tacoma, WA
2008: 2015:
Farley's Florist opened in 1955. This sign appears to be from then. The building was repainted by 2012. By 2021, the sign had been removed for another flower shop. For more, see this website.

Johnson Candy Company
Tacoma, WA
Flying Boots Cafe
Tacoma, WA
Family Cleaners [gone]
Tacoma, WA
The Johnson Candy Company was founded in the 1920s. I believe this building and sign are from 1949. For more, see this website. [map]

The Flying Boots Cafe opened in 1938. This sign is probably from the 1950s. The neon tubing on the side of the sign reads "Spur Room." For more, see this website. [map]

The Family Cleaners sign was probably from the 1950s. This photo is from 2008. Around 2013, the sign was replaced with a new plastic box sign.

former
Travelodge [gone]
Tacoma, WA
Pythian Temple
Tacoma, WA
LeRoy Jewelers
Tacoma, WA
Golden City
Cafe [gone]
Tacoma, WA
Alfa of Tacoma [gone]
Tacoma, WA
This former Travelodge sign was adapted for the Kings Travel Inn. By 2012, the motel and sign were gone.

The Pythian Temple sign was probably built in the 1950s. It was restored in 2010. It For more, see this website. [map]

LeRoy Jewelers opened here in 1941. These signs may be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

The Golden City Cafe had opened by 1952. The business was closed for many years but this sign remained until around 2017. This photo is from 2008. The sign is believed to be in a private collection.

Alfa of Tacoma opened this repair and parts shop for Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati automobiles in 1975. This embossed sign might have been from then. The sign was still there in 2016 but gone by 2018.

Chieftain Restaurant
Tacoma, WA
2008: 2015:
The Chieftain Restaurant is closed but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1960s. The southern side of the sign has a lot more rust. [map]

Golden Lion
Motor Inn [gone]
Tacoma, WA
Harkness Furniture
Tacoma, WA
Sure Fit Seat Cover
Store No. 6 [gone]
Tacoma, WA
The Golden Lion Motor Inn sign is probably from the 1960s. This photo is from 2015. The motel and sign were demolished in 2017.

Harkness Furniture was established in 1920. The sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Around 2014, the Sure Fit Seat Cover Store No. 6 sign on the building was repainted and restored. The pole sign remained untouched. This photo is from 2015. By 2017, the pole sign was gone and the "S" on the building had been folded over onto the roof. By 2021, the store was gone. The building now houses Relic Trailers and the signs are gone. For more, see this website.

There was another pair of these signs in Seattle which is gone now. There was a pair of signs like this in San Leandro, CA but only the one sign is there now. These pole signs originally revolved.

More Tacoma Signs:
Brookdale Lumber
Rankos' Drug Store

Tukwila Signs:
Ben-Carol Motel [gone]

Pepp'Rmint Stick Drive-in
Union Gap, WA
Hill's Cafe [gone]
Union Gap, WA
The Pepp'Rmint Stick Drive-in opened in the 1940s. These signs appear to be from the 1960s or 1970s. For more, see this website. [map]

Hill's Cafe was closed in 2008 when these photos were taken. Both of these signs were gone by 2015. For more, see this website.

Old Town
Pump Saloon
Union Gap, WA
Igloo Restaurant [gone]
Vancouver, WA
The Old Town Pump Saloon has been here since at least 1960. This sign appears either modern or recently refurbished. [map]

The Igloo Restaurant opened in 1948. There was a different sign there then. In 1954, there was a sign attached to the building which read "Igloo Hamburgers." It looks like it might have been the top part of the pole sign that was there later. The restaurant closed in 2018. In 2021, the sign was removed and is now in a private collection.

Bob's Paint Land
Vancouver, WA
Walgreens
Vancouver, WA
Steakburger [gone]
Vancouver, WA
Bob's Paint Land opened in 1962. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

This Walgreens sign was installed here when the Hi-School Pharmacy was here. I'm not sure how original or remodeled this sign is. For more, see this website. [map]

Steakburger opened in 1962. In 2014, the building was demolished and the sign shown above on the left was either removed or destroyed. Three of the letters from the sign on the building were saved to compose the word "EAT" on the ceiling of the Panera restaurant that's now on the property (photo on the right). For more, see this website.

House of Beijing
Vancouver, WA
Kay's Motel
Vancouver, WA
Value Motel
Vancouver, WA
The House of Beijing sign originally advertised for The Castle which closed sometime between 2007 and 2011. The sign appears to be from the 1960s. [map]

The Kay's Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Value Motel signs are probably from the 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

Luepke Florist
Vancouver, WA

2008:

2015:
The Luepke Florist building was constructed in 1937. I don't know if this sign is from then or if it was added later. The building was repainted in 2015 and the business is now known as Luepke Flowers & Finds. Soon after that, the sign was changed to read Luepke Station. For more, see this website. [map]

More Vancouver Signs:
Crosley Lanes
3 Monkeys Pub & Grill

Walla Walla Signs:
O'Con's Flowers [gone]
Pastime Cafe [gone]

Tiny's Tavern
Wapato, WA
The Tiny's Tavern sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

More Wapato Signs:
The Bakery [gone]

Travelodge
Wenatchee, WA
The Igloo
Wenatchee, WA
Bruce Hotel
Wenatchee, WA
The Travelodge Sleepy Bear mascot was introduced in 1954. The character was redesigned in 1973 for a softer, cuddlier look. This Wenatchee sign represents the later design. This location has two of these signs which are about three feet tall. Sleepy Bear is still alive and well at Travelodges with Sleepy Bear's Den Rooms for kids and he is used in advertising campaigns. However, I don't believe they are still making signs with his image anymore. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Igloo bar has been around since 1944. The sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. For more, see this website. [map]

The Bruce Hotel sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. [map]

Stan's Merry Mart
Wenatchee, WA
2008: 2016:
The Stan's Merry Mart sign appears to be from the 1950s or 1960s. Sometime after 2012, the neon had been replaced with backlit plastic letters. [map]

Wally's Tavern
Wenatchee, WA
2008: 2016:
The Wally's Tavern sign is probably from the 1950s. Between 2012 and 2015, the neon was removed and the name was changed to "Wally's House of Booze." For more, see this website. [map]

KPQ
Wenatchee, WA
KPQ is the local AM radio station. This sign was created in the late 1950s or early 1960s. It was moved down the street in 2007 when the station was bought by the Colorado-based chain Cherry Creek Radio. Wenatchee claims to be the Apple Capital of the World, hence the shapes behind the sign's call letters. For more, see this website. [map]

More Wenatchee Signs:
Neal's Shoe Store & Repair
Sav-Mart
Skookum
Vic's Drive-in [vintage; gone]

Billy Burger Drive In
Wilbur, WA
The Billy Burger Drive In opened in 1955. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

WA (page 1) WA (page 2) WA (page 3) Seattle Spokane Yakima

Main Signs Page