Texas Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Cash Store
Bellaire, TX
The Cash Store sign was built in 1960 when the shopping center where it is located was built. The sign may have advertised for a Bert Wheeler liquor store. However, it looks more like a supermarket sign to me. Does anyone know more about it? [map]

Cochran Blair & Potts Department Store

Big Lake:
Reagan County Abstract Co.

Hotel Settles
Big Spring, TX
The Hotel Settles opened in 1930. In 2012, the rooftop sign was replicated for $100,000. It now has LED tubing instead of neon. The pole sign has ripple tin panels and appears to be original. It was also restored. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Wagon Wheel Drive-in
Big Spring, TX
Al's & Son Bar-B-Q
Big Spring, TX
There was originally a Wagon Wheel Restaurant in town with a real wagon wheel on top of its sign and a covered wagon perched on the roof. It had been established by the mid-1950s. By the late 1950s, a similar sign to those at these drive-ins had been installed.

This Wagon Wheel Drive-in is sometimes referred to as "#2". I don't know if the "2" means that it was built after the restaurant or if it was the second drive-in. [map]

Al's & Son Bar-B-Q was established in 1964. Before that, it was a Wagon Wheel Drive-in. [map]

More Big Spring:
A-Bob's Bail Bonds

Bonham Steam Laundry & Cleaners

Sands Motel
Bovina, TX
Motel Restaurant
Bowie, TX
Thurmon Furniture
Breckenridge, TX
Schleider Furniture
Brenham, TX
The Sands Motel is long closed but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1950s. The sign had neon originally and may have had a wrap-around bulb arrow. [map]

The Travel-in Motel Restaurant sign appeared to be from the 1960s. This photo is from 2018. By 2019, only the text panel frames and arrow remained. By 2022, the neon was gone and the panels had been replaced. [map]

Thurmon Furniture was established in 1946 and this sign is probably from then. [map]

Schleider Furniture was founded in 1902 as a general store selling groceries and dry goods. This sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. It was the first neon sign in Brenham. For more, see this website. [map]

Bridge City:
Bridge City Cleaners

Hemi Hideout

Underwood's Cafeteria
Brownwood, TX
Underwood's Cafeteria's history can be dated back to the 1930s when M.E. Underwood sold Bar-B-Q door-to-door in Brady, TX. In the 1940s, the family moved to Brownwood and opened their first Bar-B-Q stand. Other stands in West Texas followed. The first cafeteria was opened in Lubbock, TX in 1949. By the 1950s, there were than 30 Underwood's locations. The cafeteria in Brownwood was built from 1974-1975. All of the other locations are gone now. The first sign on the left appears to be from the 1950s. There was a similar sign at the Amarillo, TX location. The plastic sign in the middle might be from the 1960s. The billboard sign on the west side of town is probably from later. For more, see this website. [map]

Texas Fun Co.
Brownwood, TX
The Texas Fun Co. sign had more letters when it originally advertised for the Texas Furniture Co. The store moved here in 1938. The letters might be from the 1950s. The "Texas Fun" might have been created when the place became a gymnastics studio. [map]

La Salle Hotel
Bryan, TX
Howell & Co.
Bryan, TX
Holiday Plaza Motel
Bryan, TX
Longhorn Tavern
Steak House
Bryan, TX
Allen Meyers
Bryan Floral & Nursery Co. [gone]
Bryan, TX
The La Salle Hotel was built in 1928. This sign appears to be from the 1930s or 1940s. The hotel was restored in 2000 and the sign was probably restored at that time. For more, see this website. [map]

Howell & Co. Wholesale Grocers is long gone. This sign appears to be from the 1920s. Originally, it probably had neon and/or opal glass letters. The die cut letters suggest it may have been lit internally. [map]

The Holiday Plaza Motel sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

The Longhorn Tavern Steak House sign might not be that old. I believe the restaurant opened in 1984. It moved to this location in 2009. [map]

Allen Meyers Bryan Floral & Nursery Co. was long gone but this sign remained until around 2021. It was probably from the 1940s or 1950s.

Country Inn Motel
Campbell, TX
Best Western sign [gone]
Canutillo, TX
The Country Inn Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

This former Best Western sign was installed next to a fireworks stand. It was gone by 2018. For another example, see this website.

Carl's Corner [gone]
Carl's Corner, TX
Rainbow Theatre
Castroville, TX
East Texas
Poultry Supply
Center, TX
This sign advertised for the Carl's Corner truck stop which is gone now. The town was named after the truck stop's owner. This sign was built in 1985. It was 150 feet long and represented a cattle truck. The sculptural billboard was made from aluminum farm gates, telephone poles and truck tires. This photo is from 2011. Parts of the sign were still there in 2013 but, by 2015, it was gone. For more, see this website.

The former Rainbow Theatre opened in 1943 and closed in 1974. This sign might be from the 1950s. The theatre closed in the 1970s. The space was used as an antiques store. In 2022, the building was renovated for use as a theatre again. It reopened in 2023. For more, see this website. [map]

East Texas Poultry Supply was established in 1958. I don't know if this sign is from then or later. The sign was repainted between 2013 and 2016. The rectangular panel was attached sometime after 2016. [map]

Gordon's Furniture
J's Liquor

First Baptist Church
Cisco, TX
Western Skies
Motel [gone]
Clarendon, TX
The First Baptist Church sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Western Skies Motel is still in operation. However, this sign was replaced with a smaller, plastic box sign. This photo was taken in 2006. The sign was probably built in the 1950s.

More Clarendon:
West Texas Utilities Company

Liberty Hotel

Harbord Kourt
Coleman, TX
Earle Smith's Jewelers
Coleman, TX
Owl Drugs
Coleman, TX
The Harbord Kourt was built in 1948. The cottages and sign were restored in 2017. The sign was restored by the Neon Shop in Abilene, TX. [map]

Earle Smith's Jewelers was established in 1936. This sign might be the original although obviously repainted and the neon removed. The store closed in 2017. The sign has been repainted for Bucketheads. [map]

Owl Drugs opened in 1923. The sign's middle panel originally read "Walgreen Agency" like the one below in Colorado City. This sign was restored in 2017. This photo is from 2018. [map]

More Coleman:
Price Paint & Body Works [gone]

Colorado Drugs
Colorado City, TX
Baker Motel
Columbus, TX
Dairy Cone
Columbus, TX
The Colorado Drugs sign is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. These Walgreen Agency signs were mass-produced. This one is now missing its neon. [map]

The Baker Motel was built in 1946 and this sign is probably from then. An oil derrick has apparently been repurposed as a supporting pole. The motel is no longer open. [map]

The Dairy Cone opened in 1950. [map]

More Colorado City:
Wood's Boots

Conroe, TX
Little Dude
Mini Storage
Conroe, TX
Rainbow Flower and Gift Shop [gone]
Conroe, TX
This Mobilgas sign is installed in front of the Heritage Museum of Montgomery County. It was built and installed on the roof of a Mobilgas station in town in the early 1930s. The neon is protected behind plastic panels. [map]

Little Dude Mini Storage opened in 1982. This sign must be from then. The sign was badly damaged in a hurricane in 2009. It was repaired in 2010. This photo is from 2018. [map]

The Rainbow Flower and Gift Shop was later Woodland Flowers but this sign remained. The sign was probably from the 1950s. It was removed in 2019.

TX (page 1) TX (page 2) TX (page 4) TX (page 5) TX (page 6) TX (page 7)
TX (page 8) TX (page 9) TX (page 10) TX (page 11) TX (page 12)
Austin Dallas Fort Worth El Paso Houston San Antonio Hemi Hideout

Main Signs Page