Kansas Signs (page 3)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Music Center [gone]
Hutchinson, KS
Hen House
Hutchinson, KS
Darie King [gone]
Hutchinson, KS
The Johnson Music Center opened in 1950. This sign was built in 1953. The store closed in 2016. The sign was owned by a sign company and leased to the store. The sign was sold and repurposed for an Airstream trailer business in another city. In 2020, the business moved and did not take the sign. It is now in storage in Hutchinson. The plan is to eventually install it in town with some other local signs.

This former Hen House sign is located behind the windmill building. It was originally installed at the Park City, KS location. When the restaurant closed, the sign was removed by Luminous Neon. The sign was eventually sold at auction to a friend of this property's owner. For more Hen House signs and buildings, see this page. [map]

The Darie King restaurant might be from the 1950s or 1960s. Does anyone know the history of this place? It appeared to be closed when this photo was taken in 2010. By 2012, the sign was gone. For more, see this website.

Veterans of Foreign Wars
Hutchinson, KS
Decker & Mattison
Hutchinson, KS
2010: 2023: 2010: 2023:
This Veterans of Foreign Wars sign is probably from the 1950s. It was restored sometime between 2012 and 2019. There are similar signs in Villa Grove, IL, Millstadt, IL, and Enid, OK. [map]

Decker & Mattison, a heating, air conditioning and ventilation business, was established in 1930. This sign is probably from the 1950s. This sign was restored in 2016 by Affordable Sign & LED. For more, see this website. [map]

Reger Rental Sales & Services
Hutchinson, KS
Ken's Pizza
Hutchinson, KS
Reger Rental Sales & Services was established in 1934 and is still operating. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Ken's Pizza chain was established in 1961 in Tulsa, OK as The Pizza Parlor. The name was changed in 1965 when Ken Selby opened his second location in Tulsa. By 1975, the chain had grown to around 100 locations in nine Midwest states. In 1979, new locations were called Mazzio's Pizza. By the mid-1980s, most of the old Ken's locations had changed their names to Mazzio's. There are currently about 165 Mazzio's locations in 10 states.

The Hutchinson location opened in 1978. I believe this pole sign is from then. The animated sign on the building is modern. It was created by Luminous Neon around 1993. [map]

Hutchinson, KS
Carl's Furniture
Hutchinson, KS
This Stevens sign advertises for the Jack H. Stevens & Associates, a business consulting service. The sign is about 30 feet tall. Does anyone know what business this sign was used for originally. [map]

The Carl's Furniture sign must have had neon originally. Does anyone know if this sign has always advertised for Carl's? [map]

More Hutchinson:
Coberly Drugs
Dillons Food Mart

South Hutchinson:
Hutch Drive-in [vintage; gone]

Bill Schabel's TV
Independence, KS
Standard Oil
Iola, KS
Standard Oil [gone]
Troy, KS
Bill Schabel's TV may have opened in 1975 and is still operating. This sign is probably from the 1960s or 1970s. [map]

These Standard Oil gas station signs had glass flame-shaped globes on top that were lit from inside with a bulb. Most of the remaining examples of these signs around the country are now missing the globes. The panel part of these Standard Oil signs was spotlit with lights attached to the pole. Standard Oil used this torch and oval logo from 1946-1960.

The flame on the Iola sign was mostly there in 2008. It is gone now but the sign remains. [map]

The Troy sign was still there and intact in this 2010 photo. The sign is gone now.

There is an intact example of these signs in Rochelle, IL.

Nesbitt's Orange Soda [gone]

J.C. Cigar Bar
Junction City, KS
I'm guessing that Williams Cigar Store was the original business here and that the J.C. Cigar Bar adapted the sign. The sign bears different text on each side. [map]

Jack & Dick's Pawn Shop
Junction City, KS
Rex's Auto Sales
Junction City, KS
Fraternal Order
of Eagles
Junction City, KS
Jack & Dick's Pawn Shop opened in 1958 and this sign is from then. [map]

The Rex's Auto Sales sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

This Fraternal Order of Eagles sign looks like a modern replica of an older sign. [map]

More Junction City:
Central National Bank
Cohen's Chicken House [vintage; gone]
Silver Star Club [gone]

Kingman Drug [gone]

Tabler Furniture [gone]
Larned, KS
Ike Shaver Plumbing [gone]
Larned, KS
Al Hanken Motors [gone]
Larned, KS
The Tabler Furniture sign was probably from the 1940s. By 2018, the store had closed and the sign was gone.

Ike Shaver Plumbing has been around since at least the 1950s. These embossed plastic Carrier Air Conditioning signs were mass-produced. There are still many left around the country. However, this one was gone by 2018.

Al Hanken Motors has been here since 1952. These signs were displayed on the side of their building when these photos were taken in 2010. By 2012, the signs were gone.

More Larned:
Carson Hotel [gone]

Jayhawk Motel [gone]
Lawrence, KS
Ernst & Son Hardware [gone]
Lawrence, KS
The Jayhawk Motel had been here since the 1950s. Both of these signs appeared to be fairly new. Lawrence is home to the University of Kansas. The jayhawk is the school's mascot. The motel was demolished around 2021. The sign on the right is gone. The other sign remains but the Jayhawk is gone. [map]

Ernst & Son Hardware featured a Dutch Boy Paints sign. These signs were mass-produced and there are still a handful of them around the country. This store was established in 1905. It closed in 2018. The sign will be auctioned off along with the rest of the store's contents.

More Lawrence:
Joe's Bakery

Masonic Lodge
Leavenworth, KS
This Masonic Lodge was established in 1914 and this sign might be from then. It features glass globes which would have been lit with bulbs from inside. [map]

Post Rock Motel
Lincoln, KS
Ly-Kan Hotel
Lyons, KS
2010: 2023: 2010: 2023:
The Post Rock Motel was built in 1951 and this sign appears to be from then. The sign was originally painted red and the horizontal panel was painted green. Around 2022, the neon was removed and the "Post Rock" panel had been replaced with a digital display panel. The "Motel" letters are now backlit plastic. [map]

The Ly-Kan Hotel was built in 1951 and this sign appears to be from then. Around 2014, the sign was repainted and the neon replaced with LED tubing. [map]

(page 1)
(page 2)
(page 4)
(page 5)
Kansas City Wichita
Main Signs Page