email: roadarch@outlook.com
Loading

Michigan Movie Theatres (page 1)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Bohm Theatre
Albion, MI
The Bohm Theatre opened in 1929. It closed around 2009 and was being restored when these photos were taken in 2011. The theatre is expected to reopen in 2012. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Regent Theatre
Allegan, MI
The Regent Theatre opened in 1919 and was updated in the 1930s. It closed in the early 1980s and was nearly demolished by 1990. The theatre was restored in 1996. However, in 1997, the roof collapsed in a storm and the theatre had to be restored again. In 2007, the neon marquee sign was painstakingly replicated after complications arose during its restoration. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Alma Theatres:
Strand Theatre

State Theatre
Alpena, MI
The State Theatre was built as the Maltz Opera House sometime in the late 1800s. It was converted to the State sometime around or before 1947. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

State Theater
Ann Arbor, MI
The State Theater was designed by C. Howard Crane and built in 1942. In 1979, it was split into four screens. In 1989, the ground floor was converted into retail space which now houses Urban Outfitters. There are still two screens upstairs which are used today. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Michigan Theater
Ann Arbor, MI
The Michigan Theater was designed by Maurice H. Finkel and opened in 1928. The theatre still has the original Barton theater pipe organ. During a recent restoration, the 1950s marquee and blade sign were replaced with replicas of the originals. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Augusta Theatres:
Park Theatre

Bad Axe Theatre
Bad Axe, MI
The Bad Axe Theatre opened in 1916 as a meeting hall and silent movie theatre for the Knights of Columbus. The marquee was installed later. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

State Theatre
Bay City, MI
The State Theatre was built in 1908 as a vaudeville and burlesque house known as the Bijou. In the 1920s, movies were added and the theatre was renamed the Orpheum. In 1930, the interior was rebuilt by C. Howard Crane and the theatre was renamed the Bay Theatre. In 1956, it was renamed again as the State Theatre and the current marquee was added. The theatre features live performances and films. A comprehensive renovation was completed in 2006. A new marquee was installed in 2008. These photos are from 2011. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, 3, and 4. [map]

Empire Theatre
Bay City, MI
State Theatre
Benton Harbor, MI
The Empire Theatre opened in 1948 and closed in 1981. The building then housed the Empire Club, a nightclub, which closed in 2003. The first photo above is from 2005 when the building was still vacant. By 2011, second photo, the space had become the Prime Event Center. For more, see this website. [map]

The State Theatre opened in 1942 and closed in 1974. It reopened briefly in 2006 but has been vacant since then. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Berkley Theatre
Berkley, MI
Birmingham Theatre
Birmingham, MI
Bronson Theatre
Bronson, MI
The Berkley Theatre opened in 1940 and closed in 1993. In 2003, the building was adapted for used as a Rite-Aid drug store. The store's entrance is on the backside of the building. The theatre's facade was preserved but the interior was gutted. The marquee is still lit at night and used to advertise community events. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Birmingham Theatre was designed by Rapp & Rapp and built in 1927. In the 1960s, the interior detail was stripped. In the late 1980s, the name was changed to the Birmingham 8 when the auditorium was subdivided for eight screens. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Bronson Theatre was built in the late 1940s. The building now houses a community center. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Boyne City Theatres:
Boyne Theatre

Strand Theatre
Caro, MI
Cass Theatre
Cass City, MI
The Strand Theatre was built in the late 1920s and still shows first-run films on its single screen. The marquee is from 1939. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Cass Theatre opened in 1940. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

MI (page 2) MI (page 3) MI (page 4) MI (page 5) Detroit

Theatres
Main Page