email: roadarch@outlook.com

Michigan Movie Theatres (page 2)

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Kent Theatre
Cedar Springs, MI
Eaton Theatre
Charlotte, MI
The Kent Theatre was built in the late 1880s as the Hubbard Opera House. In the 1920s, it was remodeled as a movie theatre known as the Emprise Theatre. It was remodeled again as the Kent Theatre in the early 1930s. The theatre closed in the mid-1970s. It was restored and reopened in 2006. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Eaton Theatre was built in 1931 and is still in operation. The sign is protected behind plastic but I don't believe it is lit at night. For more, see this website. [map]

Kingston Theatre
Cheboygan, MI
Ideal Theatre
Clare, MI
Loma Theatre
Coloma, MI
The Kingston Theatre opened in 1920 and is still operating. While the front of the building is covered with siding, the opal glass sign is well-preserved. The sign, as well as the Art Deco facade beneath the siding, is probably from the 1930s. Only a few bulbs and none of the letters are lit at night now. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Ideal Theatre opened in 1930 and is still in operation. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Loma Theatre opened in 1935. The building was destroyed by fire in 1943 and rebuilt. For more, see this website. [map]

Clawson:
Clawson Theatre

Family Theatre
East Tawas, MI
Elk Rapids Cinema
Elk Rapids, MI
The Family Theatre opened in 1910 as the Panoramic Theatre. It became the Family Theatre in 1935. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Elk Rapids Cinema opened as the State Cinema in 1940. It became the Cinema in 1961 and then the Elk Rapids Cinema in 1974. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

Michigan Theatre
Escanaba, MI
This Michigan Theatre opened in 1935 and closed in 1985. The building houses or housed a church for many years. When these photos were taken in 2011, the building appeared to be vacant. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Delft Theatre
Escanaba, MI
The Delft Theatre opened in 1914 as the Delft Opera House. It was designed by Charlton & Kuenzli. The name was changed to the Delft Theatre when it began showing movies. The theatre closed in 1985. The building now houses the Delft Night Club. For more, see this website. [map]

Civic Theatre
Farmington, MI
The Civic Theatre was designed by C. Howard Crane and built in 1940. In 1989, the balcony was converted into a second auditorium. In 1999, the City of Farmington purchased and renovated the theatre. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Capitol Theatre
Flint, MI
The Capitol Theatre was designed by John Eberson and built in 1928. The auditorium in this atmospheric theatre was meant to resemble a Roman courtyard. The Capitol closed in 1976. It was used for punk rock shows in the 1990s. Although the marquee is lit at night, the theatre is closed. For more, see this website. [map]

Frankfort:
Garden Theatre

Four Star Theatre
Grand Rapids, MI
Our Theatre
Grand Rapids, MI
The Four Star Theatre was built in 1938 and closed in 1969. It showed some films in the 1970s and housed the Carnival nightclub from 1988 until the mid-1990s. After that, the building housed a youth center. It appeared to be vacant when this photo was taken in 2011. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Our Theatre operated from 1928-1966. After that, it briefly opened as the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre. Since 1984, the building has housed John S. Hyatt (JSHAA), an architectural and theatrical lighting supplier. These photos are from 2011. By 2014, the sign was gone. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Rialto Theatre
Grayling, MI
Park Theatre
Holland, MI
The Rialto Theatre was designed by C. Howard Crane and opened around 1915. It was destroyed by fire in 1930 and immediately rebuilt. This marquee was installed in 1940. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Park Theatre opened in 1920 as the Colonial Theatre. After a fire, it reopened in 1936 as the Park Theatre. It closed in 1984. The theatre was restored in the early 2000s and is now a performing arts venue and community center. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Grosse Pointe:
Esquire Theatre [gone]

Lode Theatre
Houghton, MI
The Lode Theatre appears to have been built in the 1940s or earlier. It was remodeled in 2006 and closed in 2010. It was still vacant when this photo was taken in 2011. Does anyone know what year it was built? For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Pines Theatre
Houghton Lake, MI
The Pines Theatre was designed in a log-cabin style by C. Howard Crane and opened in 1941. It was meant to look like a hunter's cabin. The lobby features a 40 foot tall cathedral log ceiling as well as trophy game animals. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

MI (page 1) MI (page 3) MI (page 4) MI (page 5) Detroit

Theatres
Main Page