email: roadarch@outlook.com

Oklahoma City Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Master Cleaners
Oklahoma City, OK
Horn Seed Company
Oklahoma City, OK
Jack's Bar-B-Q
Oklahoma City, OK
Master Cleaners was established in 1921. The company moved to this location in 1946. This sign was built around 2006 as a replica of the original. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Horn Seed Company opened in 1921. This sign is probably from the 1950s. The store closed in 2012. In 2013, plastic panels for Classen Point were added over the existing panels. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Jack's Bar-B-Q opened in 1963. For more, see this website. [map]

Cock-O-The Walk Bar & Grill
Oklahoma City, OK
The first photo above of the Cock-O-The Walk Bar & Grill sign is from 2006. In 2011, the sign was replaced with a duplicate (second and third photos). The bar opened sometime before 1960 and the original sign was believed to have been installed then. Over the years, the sign had become rusty and the paint was chipped and faded. The neon had not been lit since at least the early 1980s. The sign was deemed too far gone to be restored so a replica was painstakingly created. The original lettering was kept, including the reference to a tabletop shuffleboard game which was removed years ago. The sign is about thirty feet long. The cigar-puffing rooster is about ten feet tall. The colorful sign features red, blue, green, yellow and white paint and neon. There is no animation. The original sign was kept by the owner. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Sunshine Laundry
Oklahoma City, OK
Stockyard City
Oklahoma City, OK
The Sunshine Laundry is gone but this three-sided sign remains. This photo is from 2011. In 2015, it was announced that the building was being redeveloped for a brewery. The neon sign was restored in 2016. [map]

This Stockyard City sign serves as a welcome sign. It appears to be modern but this cowboy part might have been adapted from another sign. For more, see this website. [map]

Don Hickey Used Cars & Trucks
Oklahoma City, OK
Park Estates
Shopping Center
Oklahoma City, OK
Sheet Metal Service Co. [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
This cowboy sign at Don Hickey Used Cars & Trucks appears to be modern. It might be a replica of an earlier sign. The neon gunfire appears to be animated. [map]

The Park Estates Shopping Center was built in the early 1950s. [map]

The neon Sheet Metal Service Co. sign was built in 1949 and featured an animated hammering man. Sometime after 2006, it was replaced with this plastic box sign. I'm told that the sign is now in Tulsa at the Hard Rock Casino. The man on the sign has been reworked so that he now lifts a beer mug to his lips.

Nuway Cleaners
Oklahoma City, OK
Ralph's Drug [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
Hi-Lo Club
Oklahoma City, OK
The Oklahoma City area Nuway Cleaners chain closed in the early 1990s. The building has been vacant since then but this sign remains. There was another rooftop sign with a revolving "8" which was removed around 2009. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Ralph's Drug was gone when this photo was taken in 2011. These signs were removed in 2014. The 1950s-looking sign had been updated a bit with the plastic panels. The neon sign is now in the collection of the Billboard Museum. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2.

The Hi-Lo Club has been around since at least 1963. These signs appear to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Blue Note Lounge
Oklahoma City, OK
The Blue Note Lounge sign was built in 1961. It was restored in 2011 just before this photo was taken. For more, see this website. [map]

Big Giant Supermarket
Oklahoma City, OK
Colcord Hotel
Oklahoma City, OK
Art's TV Sales & Service
Oklahoma City, OK
This Big Giant Supermarket sign was painted black when the first photo above was taken in 2006. The store opened sometime in the early 1960s and closed in the 1980s. After that, several other supermarkets and businesses occupied the building including a paintball center and a nightclub. In 2009, the sign was repainted. The second photo above is from 2011. This caveman's paint scheme is now similar to the original look of the sign. He originally had brown spots on his skin and wore either brown or black sandals. He may have had a belt. The sign is about 25 feet tall. [map]

The Colcord Hotel was built in 1910. There are two rooftop signs: one facing north and one facing south. They are ten feet tall. The signs have been there since at least 1913. They were restored in 1999. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Art's TV Sales & Service is gone but this sign remains. It is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Carlyle Motel [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
66 Bowl
Oklahoma City, OK
(now Chandler, OK)
F.A. Highley Co.
Oklahoma City, OK
Round-Up Cleaners
Oklahoma City, OK
Legacy Cleaners
Oklahoma City, OK
The Carlyle Motel opened as the Carlyle Courts in 1943. The sign appears to be from the 1950s. In 2013, it was removed, scrapped, and replaced with a plastic sign. For more, see this website.

The 66 Bowl was built in 1959 and this sign is believed to be from then. It closed in 2010 and everything, including this sign, was auctioned off. The sign was restored and, in 2016, it was installed in Chandler, OK in front of a soon-to-open sports complex. For more, see this website.

The F.A. Highley Co. opened here in 1946. This sign is a reproduction of the original sign. For more, see this website. [map]

Round-Up Cleaners opened here in 1958. This sign appears to be from then. For more, see this website. [map]

Legacy Cleaners has only been around since 1997. This sign must have been reworked from a previous business. It may have had more neon originally. The sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Plaza Court
Oklahoma City, OK
Home Savings and
Loan Association
Oklahoma City, OK
Shartel
Shopping Center [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
Cash America Pawn
Oklahoma City, OK
The Plaza Court building was constructed in 1926 for retail shops. The rooftop sign was added sometime in the 1930s. It originally advertised for Atlas Life. In the 1940s, the sign was changed to advertise for the KOCY radio station. At that time, the Plaza Court letters were added below the station's call letters. In the mid-1960s, KOCY moved out of the building. Sometime after that, the station's letters were removed from the sign. In 2010, the sign was restored. The Midtown letters were added then to reflect the name of the neighborhood. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Home Savings and Loan Association was established in 1929. The company moved to this location in 1957. This sign is probably from then. [map]

The Shartel Shopping Center was built in the 1950s. Shortly after this photo was taken in 2006, the sign was demolished. The shopping center is now known as Shartel Plaza. For more, see this website.

The Cash America Pawn sign originally had neon and advertised for Coley's Lumber Yard. The man held an animated hammer. He has been repainted to hold a wad of cash. This photo is from 2011. In 2015, the sign was repainted. The bottom panel now reads: "Jewelry Electronics Tool". [map]

Portland Shops
Oklahoma City, OK
Springdale Shops
Oklahoma City, OK
Warr Acres Shops
Warr Acres, OK
The Portland Shops are located on Portland Avenue. This sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Springdale Shops were built in 1957. This sign appears to be from then. [map]

Warr Acres Shops sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

Park Plaza Shops
Oklahoma City, OK
former Split-T Bar
Oklahoma City, OK
Bill & Irene's Flowers
Oklahoma City, OK
The Park Plaza Shops sign is probably from the 1950s. [map]

The Split-T Bar was a drive-in restaurant which opened in 1953. The restaurant closed and the building was demolished in 2000. The sign was adapted by a Sonic drive-in which was built across the street. The "Split-T" refers to a football formation. For more, see this website. [map]

Bill & Irene's Flowers was established in 1935. The sign is probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Beverly's Pancake Corner
Oklahoma City, OK
2006: 2011:
Beverly's Pancake Corner was originally part of an Oklahoma City chain which was founded in 1921. Of the eight Beverly's Restaurant locations, this is the only one left. Beverly and Rubye Osborne developed "Chicken in the Rough" in 1936. The meal which is still served at this restaurant consists of fried chicken, shoestring potatoes, hot biscuits and honey. By 1950, there were 250 franchised outlets serving Chicken in the Rough. In 2008, Beverly's Pancake Corner moved to a new location. The chicken part of the sign was saved and is displayed inside the front window. I don't know what happened to the rest of the sign. The Palms Krystal Bar & Grill in Port Huron, MI still serves Chicken in the Rough and has a neon sign. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3.

Nichols Hills Cleaners
Oklahoma City, OK
Whitton Supply Co.
Oklahoma City, OK
Grace
Cleaners [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
Chieftain Motel [gone]
Oklahoma City, OK
Nichols Hills Cleaners sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. The arrow is animated. For more, see this website. [map]

The Whitton Supply Co. was founded in 1945. This sign appears to be from the 1950s. The top panel appears much more recent and was probably a replacement. [map]

The Grace Cleaners sign was probably from the 1940s or 1950s. By 2015, the sign had been adapted to read "Arts District, 529 W. Main". For more, see this website. [map]

The Chieftain Motel was built in 1954 and this sign was probably from then. These photos are from 2012. By 2014, the big red arrow was gone. By 2015, the rest of the sign was gone.

More Oklahoma City:
American Butane & Propane Gas Co. [map]
Calvary Baptist Church [map]
Club House Market [map]
EMSCO Electric Supply Co.
Hik-Ry Pit [gone]

OK (page 1) OK (page 2) OK (page 3) OK (page 4) Tulsa

Main Signs Page