email: roadarch@outlook.com

Columbus Signs

(hit "refresh" to get the most recent version of this page; click on photos for larger images)

Columbus Dispatch
Columbus, OH
Fiesta Lanes
Columbus, OH
Homestead Motel
Columbus, OH
Ho-Toy Downtown
Restaurant
Columbus, OH
The Columbus Dispatch Building was constructed in 1925. While the newspaper is no longer printed there, the neon sign remains. For more, see this website. [map]

The Fiesta Lanes bowling alley opened in 1958 and this sign is probably from then. The building was demolished around 2000. This sign was saved and is now installed in the lobby of a doctor's office. For more, see this website.

The Homestead Motel had a couple of other signs before this one. The current sign looks very much like the Baker's Motel in Norwich, OH. It was most likely produced by the same company. These motels may have been part of a chain and had the same name at one time. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

The Ho-Toy Downtown Restaurant opened in 1959 at a different spot downtown. The restaurant moved to its current location in 1980 and brought along this sign. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

Haas Furniture
[gone]
Columbus, OH
Mirage
Lounge [gone]
Columbus, OH
Capital Motel
Columbus, OH
Brookside Motel
Columbus, OH
former
Gold Circle
Columbus, OH
Haas Furniture closed in 2003. The sign was removed in 2008.

The Mirage Lounge sign advertised for a strip club. This sign was removed in 2007.

The Capital Motel sign is probably from the 1950s. In 2014, this sign was repainted blue and yellow. For more, see this website. [map]

The Brookside Motel was previously the Brookside Tour-O-Tel back in the 1950s. The top part of the sign revolved at one time. It now just blows around in the wind. For more, see these websites: 1 and 2. [map]

This Kohl's department store sign originally advertised for a Gold Circle department store. For more, see this website. This photo is from 2009. Kohl's closed in 2011 and the top part of the sign was painted over. It was still painted over in 2016. [map]

Abbott's
Super Duper
Columbus, OH
40 Motel
Columbus, OH
Lisska Bar & Grill
Columbus, OH
Tommy's Pizza
Columbus, OH
Rubino's Pizza
Columbus, OH
Hillcrest Lanes
Columbus, OH
Abbott's Super Duper supermarket sign is from 1955. It depicts an elephant balancing a bag of groceries. This photo is from 2009. Although the store closed in 2010, the sign still remains. A vinyl tarp advertising other businesses now covers the "Super Duper" panels. The paint is fading and much of the neon is broken. At one time, Super Duper had a chain of stores in Ohio and western New York. I don't believe any of the other elephant signs have survived. [map]

The 40 Motel and sign are estimated to be from the late 1950s or early 1960s. The motel is named after its location on Route 40. For more, see this website. [map]

The Lisska Bar & Grill sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. [map]

Tommy's Pizza was established in 1952. This sign is probably from the 1950s or 1960s. This location closed in 2015 and the top part of the sign had been painted over. Later that year, the text panels had been removed. The building now houses Minuteman Pizza. For more, see this website. [map]

Rubino's Pizza opened here in 1954. For more, see this website. [map]

The Hillcrest Lanes sign appears to be from the 1950s. The place closed in 2011 but the sign is still there. For more, see this website. [map]

Capri Lanes
Columbus, OH
Pierce Cleaners
Columbus, OH
The Capri Lanes and sign are from 1962. This photo is from 2010. Around 2013, the green panels below the sign were painted orange. For more, see this website. [map]

Pierce Cleaners was established in 1946. The company moved to its current location in 1960 and had this 25 foot tall sign built for $1,100. A message board was integrated into its design. The humorous and philosophical messages are changed weekly. Pierce Cleaner's original logo depicted the owners as saluting soldiers returning from war. This logo was included in the 1960 sign. In the 1990s, one of the characters was changed to a woman when the company's ownership changed from two brothers to a father and daughter. The "Bros." text of "Pierce Bros." was replaced with a neon hangar at that time as well. The first photo above is from 2005. In 2010, the sign was struck by a car. The neon was broken by the impact and the base of the sign was destroyed. The sign was restored. The second and third photos above are from 2012. [map]

5th Avenue Floral Co.
Columbus, OH
Minelli's Restaurant
& Pizza
Columbus, OH
The 5th Ave. Floral Co. was established in 1901. The entrance and sign are probably from the 1950s. For more, see this website. [map]

Minelli's Restaurant & Pizza opened in 1967 and this sign is probably from then. The sign is similar to the Pierce Cleaners sign shown above. [map]

Carl Zipf Lock Shop [gone]
Columbus, OH
Buckeye Motel
Columbus, OH
The Carl Zipf Lock Shop neon key sign has been bent like this since at least 2007. The sign was still there in 2015. By 2016, it had been replaced with a smaller, modern key-shaped sign. [map]

The Buckeye Motel sign features an outline of the state of Ohio and the "3" which refers to the motel's location on Route 3. In 2007, this sign was altered with the "Buckeye" portion painted over to reflect the new name of Hometown Motel. The second photo above is from 2009. [map]

Fireproof Warehouse
and Storage Co.
Columbus, OH
Skully's Music-Diner
Columbus, OH
De Santis
Florist
Columbus, OH
Tee Jaye's
Columbus, OH
E-Jay's
Columbus, OH
The Fireproof Warehouse and Storage Co. sign is three stories tall. The building was constructed and the business founded in 1906. This photo is from 2009. Around 2015, the sign was restored and relit. The building now houses apartments and Pies & Pints. For more, see these websites: 1, 2, and 3. [map]

The Skully's Music-Diner sign was built in 2002 when the business opened. [map]

According to the sign, De Santis Florist was established in 1927. This sign was probably built in the 1950s or 1960s. By 2014, the business had moved to a new location. The neon sign, minus the grid, was moved with it. [map]

Tee Jaye's giant arrow is still lit at night. The neon tubes are lit in succession from bottom to top. The sign was all neon in the 1950s when the restaurant was known as Jerry's Drive in. Before becoming Tee Jaye's, this place was known as Sisters. According to one account, this sign might have originally been used for a drive-in theatre which was there before Jerry's. For more, see this website. [map]

The E-Jay's Drive Thru towering arrow sign is encircled with neon. [map]

former Wonder Bread Bakery
Columbus, OH
C.R. O'Neil & Co. Realtors
Columbus, OH
Clintonville Electric
Company [gone]
Columbus, OH
This Wonder Bread Bakery plant was built in 1916 and closed in 2009. The building was converted into the Wonderbread Lofts. The sign remains. There is another sign on the side of the building. For more, see this website. [map]

The neon on the C.R. O'Neil & Co. Realtors sign is protected with mesh. For more, see this website. [map]

This Clintonville Electric Company's General Electric sign is protected behind plastic. The company moved around 2004 and then went out of business in 2008. This sign was still there in 2009 when this photo was taken. In 2010, the building was demolished and this sign was probably destroyed.

More Columbus:
Bambi Motel [gone]
Big Bear Warehouses [gone]

OH (page 1) OH (page 2) OH (page 3) OH (page 4) Cincinnati
American Sign Museum
(Cincinnati)
Bob McDorman Chevrolet
(Canal Winchester)

Main Signs Page